Steel Empire Chronicles (NSW & PS4)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Bear78

Steel Empire Chronicles (NSW & PS4)

Post by Bear78 »

Steel Empire Chronicles announced for Switch and PS4. Contains 3 versions of Steel Empire and Over Horizon. Physical release by SLG this weekend.

https://www.gematsu.com/2023/04/steel-e ... ps4-switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXkLG6S32LM
TransatlanticFoe

Re: Steel Empire Chronicles (NSW & PS4)

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Nice - original, GBA and modern remake. Are there any regional differences beyond language and title screen (JP name, Steel Empire and Empire of Steel)?

The 3DS version is missing, so anyone know what that's like compared to the versions available here?

Do any of the later versions include a tougher difficulty than the MD original? While the lifebar makes the zeppelin playable, it does mean picking the fighter plane makes the game very easy - even on the hardest setting.
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

Was the GBA version really never released in NA? I could swear I remember playing it at one point, or seeing it in a GameStop cabinet or something long, long ago. I did have the Genesis version at one point, so I could be conflating owning that with playing the GBA version through emulation, but I could have sworn I'd seen it before in the wild.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Warp_Rattler wrote:Was the GBA version really never released in NA? I could swear I remember playing it at one point, or seeing it in a GameStop cabinet or something long, long ago. I did have the Genesis version at one point, so I could be conflating owning that with playing the GBA version through emulation, but I could have sworn I'd seen it before in the wild.
It was very much released in NA!

Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Bear78

Post by Bear78 »

TransatlanticFoe wrote: The 3DS version is missing, so anyone know what that's like compared to the versions available here?
I believe the "Modern Remake" is the Steam version which is "based on 3DS version with improved graphics and controls" according to the Steam page
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Jonpachi wrote:
Warp_Rattler wrote:Was the GBA version really never released in NA? I could swear I remember playing it at one point, or seeing it in a GameStop cabinet or something long, long ago. I did have the Genesis version at one point, so I could be conflating owning that with playing the GBA version through emulation, but I could have sworn I'd seen it before in the wild.

That's a mockup. Acclaim's Flying Edge label only published games on SEGA systems and Acclaim went out of business around 2004, a year before the EU release.
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

I mean, I guess I could have just done a search or checked Wikipedia or whatever to get the answer to my question.

I didn't, but I could have. Maybe I just like the feeling of interacting with other humans.

Anyway, Wikipedia says that there was only a "PAL" release of the game on GBA, so my memory of any NA release is certainly just an instance of the Mandela Effect.

Although TIL that there was an "original leaked Japanese arcade beta version (now rare and the source code of which is believed lost)" which was apparently well-received, though there were no supporting sources provided for that little tidbit. It sounds like the Switch release content is already pretty much finalized, and I realize the developer is not M2, but the inclusion of the R-Gear prototype on the Ray'z collection makes me wish that would start happening more with some of these compilations/reissues--fix those abandoned or canceled beta versions up to a basic playable state and toss 'em on the cart as a fun archival bonus. Missing source code is of course a problem, but I'd be surprised if all of the other titles in this release didn't run through emulation in one form or another.
Augemitbutter

Post by Augemitbutter »

was thinking about getting the 3ds ver. while the eshop was alive, but this is much better :!: With this and the MD cart i'm good. Nice game to relax.
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

Augemitbutter wrote:was thinking about getting the 3ds ver. while the eshop was alive, but this is much better :!: With this and the MD cart i'm good. Nice game to relax.
The 3D in the 3DS version with the parallax scrolling n all is amazing. I say get it before the store closes.
Augemitbutter

Post by Augemitbutter »

Darkseed_5150 wrote:
Augemitbutter wrote:was thinking about getting the 3ds ver. while the eshop was alive, but this is much better :!: With this and the MD cart i'm good. Nice game to relax.
The 3D in the 3DS version with the parallax scrolling n all is amazing. I say get it before the store closes.
no longer available officially.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

BrianC wrote:
Jonpachi wrote:

That's a mockup. Acclaim's Flying Edge label only published games on SEGA systems and Acclaim went out of business around 2004, a year before the EU release.
A fellow shmupper was selling the JPN version of GBA Steel Empire here on the Shmups marketplace and I snagged it for a good price. It's a fine stg in it's own right and is equally at home on a GBA Micro setup these days.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

My bad! I have a copy of the Japanese original, and a repro from Etsy based on that mock-up. Always just thought it was just rare. :oops:
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

Augemitbutter wrote:
Darkseed_5150 wrote:
no longer available officially.
Second that. The stereoscopic effect in the 3DS version is very good and easy on the eyes making it the definitive version imo.
Since the console is officially off the market and the game not available through the store anymore, softmodding/jailbreaking is the only way.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Very nice. Over Horizon is like 2000 last time I checked. Just ridiculous.
Not saying this will replace an original cart (from a collector's point of view), but it's cool to have.

I'll probably skip Steel Empire, as I have a physical GBA and PC version of it. I plan on buying the physical MD cart someday. It's not TOO expensive.

Anyone know who is going to do the porting?
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Legend of Steel Empire for ps4 and Switch
TransatlanticFoe

£10 less, 3 games less. In mean it must make ININ money for them to keep doing it, but it is weird to not just put the "full" thing out at retail.
RetroDaz

Post by RetroDaz »

I wonder if they use this approach as a way to make impatient gamers double-dip while they wait for the complete Strictly Limited Games release?
TransatlanticFoe

I doubt it, it's always the best stuff they strip out!
RetroDaz

Post by RetroDaz »

TransatlanticFoe wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:10 pm I doubt it, it's always the best stuff they strip out!
That’s a fair point. There’s clearly a reason why they do it. Just seems baffling. The Turrican collections and Wonder Boy Collections were a mess like that as well.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

TransatlanticFoe wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:10 pm I doubt it, it's always the best stuff they strip out!
That wasn't the case with Turrican. Two collections were announced with new score attack versions and a new barely changed Mega Turrican version that were pretty much filler. Suddenly, a collection with the best games in the collection and no filler turns up on digital stores.
Yoshi

Post by Yoshi »

BrianC wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:39 pm
That wasn't the case with Turrican. Two collections were announced with new score attack versions and a new barely changed Mega Turrican version that were pretty much filler. Suddenly, a collection with the best games in the collection and no filler turns up on digital stores.
Maybe I am misunderstanding your point. There are three digital Turrican collections:
  1. Flashback is the same as the mass retail version.
  2. Anthology Vol. 1 is the same as the first SLG version.
  3. Anthology Vol. 2 is the same as the second SLG version.
Other than the fact that there are two volumes of the Anthology, it's very similar to the Wonder Boy Collection vs. Anniversary Collection.

My response to this practice from SLG/ININ, coupled with the ridiculous decision to skip PC, is to just stop buying their games.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The Turrican Anthology didn't get digital releases until after the physical versions were shipped out. Flashback was available on digital stores before the Anthology releases even shipped (the release of Anthology was delayed, as well). The only reason the Anthology is two collections is becuase of filler like the new score attacks and Mega Turrican Director's Cut (which has very minor changes). Flashback has Turrican I and II Amiga, Super Turrican SNES, and Mega Turrican. The Anthology split the games and has one collection with Turrican I and II Amiga, two versions of Super Turrican, and the filler Mega Turrican score attack. The other collection has three versions of Mega Turrican (one of which exteremely similar to the original), the filler Super Turrican score attack, and Super Turrican 2. My point is that Flashback has the essential games, and the Anthology adds filler to make two collections.

The difference between Turrican and the other collections is that other collections cut content to make a smaller collection and Turrican added filler content to make more than one collection (with the filler removed, Super Turrican 2 is the only game Flashback is missing). Wonder Boy Collection Anniversary has more existing games than the Wonder Boy Collection, it didn't make a hidden level mandatory to make a "new" version of a game. Not a fan of either practice.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

While all the above is true and I absolutely agree that it should have been a single volume from the outset, the Turrican Anthology games do have a nice map function where you can zoom out to see the whole level as you uncover it. They also have new fantastic arranged soundtracks by the original composer.
Last edited by Samildanach on Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Any idea of when this will be available digitally on PSN? I see a preview page for the Switch version.