Kaikan Now on Steam

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BulletMagnet

Kaikan Now on Steam

Post by BulletMagnet »

Must have missed that this was in the works, but an "enhanced" version of Zakichi's freeware shmup Kaikan has appeared on Steam; price is about 4 USD, with a 20% launch week discount. Haven't tried it myself yet, but tempted to toss him a few bucks as thanks for all the high-quality freeware he's sent our way over the years.
-Fish-

Re: Kaikan Now on Steam

Post by -Fish- »

Never played his free version but this paid version is the cats meow. Already sunk a couple hours into it this evening. Very fast STG action and good scoring mechanics. It's an absolute steal at this price point.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I downloaded the free version a while ago, but never played it and then the folder was on my desktop for like a year and I forgot what it was. Now I remember why I wanted to play this and also that I need to play this. Given that insanely low price, I have no problems with paying for it, especially if it's better than the free version somehow.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

I was unfamiliar with the freeware version, but the version that's now available on Steam is a lot of fun, and well worth the small price tag.

---

And on a side note, it's another game done with Shooting Game Builder. I'm usually sceptical about these genre specific gaming tools, since the results are either poor, or frequently the games all look the same, but I see more and more Japanese indie developers using it, and doing some great work.

If had any talent and patience, I would try the software myself. :mrgreen:
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

If anyone wants to try the free version of Kaikan or Zakichi's other stuff, check out his personal site - a handful of his more recent games can also be downloaded on itch.io.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

I also downloaded the freeware version some time ago, but never got around to playing it. Given the low price, excellent feedback, and quality games released for free by the dev, I will absolutely buy this.

EDIT: Bought and had a quick playthrough. Absolutely immense soundtrack. Enjoyed the little time I had and the difficulty seems to be a good level for me i.e. not too hard :lol:
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Nahar

Post by Nahar »

I've been playing some Kaikan this morning. Nice little game.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

you really need to play kaikan
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
shmuppy-puppy

Post by shmuppy-puppy »

Thanks for the info, looks and sounds great.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Seems Zakesta has made its way to Steam as well.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

BulletMagnet wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:26 am Seems Zakesta has made its way to Steam as well.
Thanks for the heads-up! :)

I'm always up to support talented indie developers, especially when they released some quality freeware stuff throughout the years, and the price tag is as affordable as this one.