Mega Sg VRR support?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
shmupsrocks

Mega Sg VRR support?

Post by shmupsrocks »

It feels like there's quite a bit of input lag on the Mega Sg into my Panasonic VT60 plasma. I noticed the same thing on the MiSTer until I enabled VRR which feels like it helped a lot. Is there any hope of VRR support on the Mega Sg?
Josh128

Re: Mega Sg VRR support?

Post by Josh128 »

shmupsrocks wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:39 pm It feels like there's quite a bit of input lag on the Mega Sg into my Panasonic VT60 plasma. I noticed the same thing on the MiSTer until I enabled VRR which feels like it helped a lot. Is there any hope of VRR support on the Mega Sg?
VT60 doesnt even support VRR. Input lag of the VT60 is apparently a rolling lag between 23-30ms. Theres no way to lessen that, unfortunately.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

The VT60 has a game mode which helps a lot but still quite bad on the Mega Sg and it was quite bad on the MiSTer until I started playing with MiSTer settings. I'm very sensitive to input lag and I would say it's now very fast. Looking again I think setting vsync_adjust=2 is what did it.
This makes the video output draw to the screen as fast as possible, and can result in sub-frame lag consistently (independent of your controller and display's built-in lag).
https://mister-devel.github.io/MkDocs_M ... video_mode

Considering the above, is there any hope for configuring the Mega Sg for less lag in a similar way?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Set the Buffer Mode to Zero Delay, which slightly overclocks the system (0.15% or something) but removes buffering.

Shamefully unless you have a new scaler (OSSC Pro, Tink4K, Morph) you can't output the original frame rate and see if it's compatible. People asked for it for years and it was never added to the SuperNT or MegaSG.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

That'll lop one frame off, but it's still 60 Hz output either way, so if the TV is doing a bunch of frames of extra buffering, it won't help much.

You can flag the output as VRR with an RT4K (or technically the RT5X, but it doesn't have the HDMI input). That doesn't actually do anything other than set the VRR flag, but it's enough to make certain televisions change their buffering behaviour.

None of this should be necessary, the Analogue consoles should absolutely have the ability to flag as VRR and output the native console refresh rate directly, but that seems unlikely to ever happen. At least the Mega Sg and Super Nt have the "zero delay" mode, the Pocket dock only has triple buffer with all the stuttering that causes.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Any talk of OpenFPGA support on the Mega Sg or Pocket Dock? Then a third party could implement this stuff.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

I think you're misunderstanding what OpenFPGA is. It's for implementing console/computer cores, it's not a replacement firmware. The Mega Sg will never support it because it's missing the hardware that enables it, and the dock already supports OpenFPGA since it just displays whatever the Pocket is running. The problem is that the Pocket's scaler (which runs on the smaller secondary FPGA) will refuse to do anything but 60 Hz triple buffer when docked.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

You're right of course.

But this is kind of sad. Let me see if I have this right. For low-lag gaming the Mega Sg is only useful on particular modern displays unless I use the right external scaler, although at that point I may well use an original console.

What is the best way to play Genesis/MD cartridges including all mods and external gear?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Since your display doesn't even support VRR you won't really be able to beat the MegaSG in zero delay mode.

If you are morally bothered by the very slight speed increase (you will not notice it trust me) then you could get an OSSC Pro and do the DAC spoofing to get the original framerate. $350 for 0.1% or something like that?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

You have to start with a good display that fits your preferences. That will be true no matter what. You're going to need a new one if you want better experiences. I know that's not what you wanted to hear and I sympathize, but that's where you're at. Figure out what you care about, because there is no perfect display. They all have good and bad things. That includes a shiny new LG OLED; although, those are very good. Don't let anyone tell you differently. Spend some time researching.

If you must use emulation, consider selling your Analogue console and getting a MiSTer. That won't necessarily solve all your issues with your current display, though. If you're using a flash cart or a "jailbreak" firmware, you're already using roms, anyway.
We apologise for the inconvenience
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

It sounds like the Mega Sg would work well with a carefully chosen new display. How about with a BVM?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

That defeats the purpose of using an HDMI console. If you have a BVM, just use the original console.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

shmupsrocks wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:55 am It sounds like the Mega Sg would work well with a carefully chosen new display. How about with a BVM?
I use my Mega SG and Super NT with a Dac and BVM and it looks and feels great. I have the hdmi option if I want but For me it’s about the small form factor, built in game genie, perfect output with none of the technical issue of original hardware like jailbars etc and future proofing if my BVM eventually dies
orange808

Post by orange808 »

perfect output
We apologise for the inconvenience
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Not perfect output I'm assuming? Can you clue me in?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

The Analogue DAC is notoriously broken. Left/right audio are reversed, the sync signal is wonky and incompatible with most devices (it doesn't work with some CRTs and most scalers/capturecards), and several of the supported output signal types have messed up colour. And to rub salt in the wound, there has yet to be a single firmware update for it since it launched years ago.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

You referenced the Analogue DAC but we're discussing the Mega Sg which has had a lot of firmware releases including a new-ish one:

https://www.analogue.co/support/mega-sg/firmware
Lord of Pirates

Post by Lord of Pirates »

shmupsrocks wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:36 pm You referenced the Analogue DAC but we're discussing the Mega Sg which has had a lot of firmware releases including a new-ish one:

https://www.analogue.co/support/mega-sg/firmware
Unless they mean some other DAC, see bold below:

LDigital wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:37 am I use my Mega SG and Super NT with a Dac and BVM and it looks and feels great. I have the hdmi option if I want but For me it’s about the small form factor, built in game genie, perfect output with none of the technical issue of original hardware like jailbars etc and future proofing if my BVM eventually dies