CRT sometimes shows blank screen with buzzing sound.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
riniks112

CRT sometimes shows blank screen with buzzing sound.

Post by riniks112 »

Hi, I've come to this forum with hopes of someone helping me with my problem.

It's been acting like this for some time. Somehow the problem had gone away seemingly at random. Not sure if my meddling was what make it work again.
My attempts were just switching it on and off. Pressing the on button with it bieng unplugged. Also I tried starting it up along with restarting the computer, I think once this is what coinsided with it working again, though seems unlikely that it has anything to with what fixed it.

The times when it gets like that is when I had woken the PC up from sleep.
The monitor powers on but does not show anything and there's a buzzing sound with a specific pattern.

I have some hope it can still work again as it has done this quite a few times.
Maybe someone here has some clue what could be wrong with it.

The model is Samsung SyncMaster 755df.

As I was ready to post this, the screen appeared and the buzzing disappeared again. So it may be I only have to give it some time.
BareKnuckleRoo

Re: CRT sometimes shows blank screen with buzzing sound.

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

It's an old monitor, 20+ years I think? The components are likely wearing out as they tend to. I don't know how much of it is replaceable on this particular monitor, but I know on other screens like the Sega Game Gear, the first thing that usually seems to kill them are bad capacitors. If you know how to solder and you're comfortable with opening it up, you could try soldering in some new capacitors to see if that helps at all? Resistors and other components can fail too however.

CRT screens, particularly televisions, are capable of giving some nasty shocks though, so if you've never worked with electronics don't go poking around inside without first looking up some general "how-to" guidance on CRT repairs.