Star Parodier PC Engine feels little hard any tips?

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
eliander20

Star Parodier PC Engine feels little hard any tips?

Post by eliander20 »

Hi to everyone, i started into shmups not long ago and i choosed 2 games to start, i have played many retro games and have beaten just few, but i never have beaten a shmup
i choosed Star Parodier for begin in the genre recommended by Shmup Junkie in youtube, but i play the game emulated in a moded Nintendo wii with classic controller
the game feels a little hard after area 6, i lose all the upgrades always then the bubbles are in are 7 feels kinda hard, i lower the difficult to easy but the game still feels
like a challenge for me, the other game i have been playing is the Afterburner II for Sega Genesis i'm not sure if it fall into the genre of Shmups but in this one i reach the stage 16
so the question is, do you have any tips or tricks for this games?

Note i play on a CRT TV brand RCA from 2004
Last edited by eliander20 on Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nahar

Re: Star Parodier PC Engine feels little hard any tips?

Post by Nahar »

So you leave because no one answered in 24 hours. Lol.
Mero

Post by Mero »

I think Paro Ceasar is the best character to clear with iirc.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

eliander20 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:34 pmthe game feels a little hard after area 6, i lose all the upgrades always then the bubbles are in are 7 feels kinda hard, i lower the difficult to easy but the game still feels
like a challenge for me
A lot of games which are heavily based around power-up systems can become challenging upon respawn in later stages, and this is one of them. The end of the game has you shooting through environmental hazards that seem impossible to keep up with when you don't have enough firepower. I love how endearingly cheerful this game is, but I don't think some of the late game checkpoints were well designed.

The first time I 1CCed it I'm sure I just brute forced it, because fortunately the game gives you a ton of lives and bombs. The trick is the gold life system; collecting hearts will let you stack gold lives that will allow you to respawn on the spot, rather than being sent back to a checkpoint. Learning the levels leading up the the end (particularly the boss patterns) and surviving will let you enter the endgame with enough resources to make it through, even if you run into trouble.

The other issue might be that you're playing on Wii Virtual console. I don't know about this game in particular, but I think in general a lot of those games have some noticeable input lag, making them more challenging than they were on original hardware. I couldn't crack Soldier Blade on Wii U virtual console, but when I finally got it on original hardware it was definitely more manageable.