PSP 1000 HDMI mod board

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SGGG2

PSP 1000 HDMI mod board

Post by SGGG2 »

Available on Aliexpress and other retailers. 720p output, 3 display modes. Hopefully it has less lag than Adrenaline on Vita. Requires removal of the optical drive. Not having USB or Bluetooth connectivity for an external controller is a major disappointment :?

Install guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REuj0poox-w
Triple Lei

Re: PSP 1000 HDMI mod board

Post by Triple Lei »

Very interesting. Tempted to get another PSP-1000 just for it. But I'm counting more downsides:

- Looks like it removes the IR port, which is the main reason I keep my PSP-1000 around at all: at firmware 5.00 I can use IR Shell to use it as a remote controller for my DVDO Edge. Of course, once I get my RetroTINK 4K I don't think I'll be doing that anymore.

- Removes the UMD drive, and in my experience it's the PSP-1000 drives that are more reliable than the UMD drives in later models. Even if you decide to rip your own UMDs, you still need an actual PSP to rip your own UMDs. Unless of course you just download the entire game library from the start. But I still enjoy hunting for movies on UMD and I always rip those.

- Some battery mods require the UMD drive to be removed, so you'll have to pick and choose between mods. And even if you don't want to do battery mods, you're probably going to be shopping around for a reliable PSP battery which is hard these days. I've been told the Cameron Sino batteries with the blue logo are best.

- PSP-1000 has the worst d-pad, made better with a mod. Still won't be better than a PSP-2000 d-pad. And the PSP-3000 d-pad surpasses them all (including the d-pad on the Vita IMO).

- Some games might really need the extra RAM introduced in the later model PSPs. The worst offender is, I think, the port of the original Metal Slug which required it... at least for multiplayer. Good thing there are about a billion ways to play the original Metal Slug, including on Metal Slug Anthology also on PSP.

You're definitely right about it hopefully having less lag than Adrenaline on the Vita. It's a big reason I stocked up on micro SD adapters for PSP and upgraded my Vita to the latest firmware (with soft mods of course) since Adrenaline wasn't worth staying on 3.65 Enso.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Found a few external controller mods worth mentioning

PSP 2000 to PS2 adapter, requires consolization

Prototype video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX-Pig1vAFE
https://old.reddit.com/r/PSP/comments/h ... pts_a_ps2/
https://github.com/orangeglo/PS2PSP

PSP 2000 to Bluetooth adapter, requires consolization. The author is working on an external version.

https://github.com/ste2425/PSP-Consolizer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfEGl17LPVs

Hardwired PSP 1000 controller mod, works with PS2. A lot more work involved here.

https://web.archive.org/web/20091217012 ... #msg133741
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

The HDMI mod they made for the N64 has like 3 frames of lag and is very feature-poor.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Yeah, there's one YouTube review that mentions lag:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ8gr14wptY

So probably wouldn't be great for playing shmups (maybe not too bad though). I'm tempted to get one to play RPGs and such, but I'm going to wait and see if something better comes along.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

They should have added a 544p option. Many monitors and TVs will accept that signal

You can do this with an add on for the Sharpscale plugin for Vita
Rulumi

Post by Rulumi »

Don't use Adrenaline on the PS Vita for a better input lag and game performance on PSP games. Use PSPEMU by itself or ARK-4 standalone.
RebeL9

Post by RebeL9 »

Rulumi wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:00 pm Don't use Adrenaline on the PS Vita for a better input lag and game performance on PSP games. Use PSPEMU by itself or ARK-4 standalone.
I've made alot of testing of the Vita TV. I believe the reason alot of people experience lag on the adrenaline is that they are running with bilinear filters. That adds noticable lag indeed. If you run it in original mode without any filters you will experience the same amount of input lag as if you were running ARK.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

RebeL9 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:02 pmI've made alot of testing of the Vita TV. I believe the reason alot of people experience lag on the adrenaline is that they are running with bilinear filters. That adds noticable lag indeed. If you run it in original mode without any filters you will experience the same amount of input lag as if you were running ARK.
Does a Vita TV running at 1080i with the Sharpscale plugin count as "original mode"?

And lowest lag on a Vita is still 1 frame over a native PSP, right? My memory is fuzzy on the previous conversation y'all had about this stuff
RebeL9

Post by RebeL9 »

BazookaBen wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:57 pm
RebeL9 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:02 pmI've made alot of testing of the Vita TV. I believe the reason alot of people experience lag on the adrenaline is that they are running with bilinear filters. That adds noticable lag indeed. If you run it in original mode without any filters you will experience the same amount of input lag as if you were running ARK.
Does a Vita TV running at 1080i with the Sharpscale plugin count as "original mode"?

And lowest lag on a Vita is still 1 frame over a native PSP, right? My memory is fuzzy on the previous conversation y'all had about this stuff
Original as the setting "original" in Adrenaline menu.
I know there was a one guy that did a more indepth iagtest on Vita TV. But I can't find the thread.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

It's always a back and forth when it comes up. I dunno, I don't play enough PSP games to bother setting things up past Adrenaline for maybe a lag benefit. I'd be looking into PSTV stuff again with the Tink 4K, but I've misplaced my USB drive for it somehow so I don't even think taihen enso or whatever will load.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

BazookaBen wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:54 pm They should have added a 544p option. Many monitors and TVs will accept that signal

You can do this with an add on for the Sharpscale plugin for Vita
Could you point me to that add on? :)
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Konsolkongen wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:27 am Could you point me to that add on? :)
You mean the 544p mode add on specifically? I had to get that directly from the Sharpscale creator in some Discord channel.

He didn't want it shared widely because it wasn't tested.

It didn't work on CRTs very well because it used 720p pixel clock, meaning the front and back porches were huge. But it works great on my 4k OLED. Correctly detected as 544p

I guess I can ask him if it's cool to share it with other people, if you want.
Rulumi

Post by Rulumi »

I already talked about this in that other thread I think, but just in case and maybe if I forgot to mention anything at that time.
Adrenaline modifies a lot of parts of "PSPEMU" for it's features incluiding part of the IPL. I can't say for sure in all the reasons that can result in the slower input response, but I guess part of it has to do with how filters are handled and that Adrenaline uses a lot of normal PSP 6.61 firmware files like the VHS menu ones as well as the normal 6.61 kernel modules instead of the lighter PSPEMU ones.

Also normal PSPEMU runs at around 444MHz, while Adrenaline uses the normal PSP 333MHz, sometimes slower in Adrenaline according to the software, but it's easy for the user to force it to 333MHz for most software. But since the CPU clock speed is slower in Adrenaline, in general you'll also get a better performance from normal PSPEMU and standalone ARK-4.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Rulumi wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:20 am I already talked about this in that other thread I think, but just in case and maybe if I forgot to mention anything at that time.
Adrenaline modifies a lot of parts of "PSPEMU" for it's features incluiding part of the IPL. I can't say for sure in all the reasons that can result in the slower input response, but I guess part of it has to do with how filters are handled and that Adrenaline uses a lot of normal PSP 6.61 firmware files like the VHS menu ones as well as the normal 6.61 kernel modules instead of the lighter PSPEMU ones.

Also normal PSPEMU runs at around 444MHz, while Adrenaline uses the normal PSP 333MHz, sometimes slower in Adrenaline according to the software, but it's easy for the user to force it to 333MHz for most software. But since the CPU clock speed is slower in Adrenaline, in general you'll also get a better performance from normal PSPEMU and standalone ARK-4.
I forget where things landed on ease of use. Is it like you need per-game bubbles for ARK/PSPEMU that you set up individually or can you just boot into one and load games from there?

Are you able to fully disable the filtering and get 2x nearest-neighbor on each axis like you can with Adrenaline?
BazookaBen wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:09 am
Konsolkongen wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:27 am Could you point me to that add on? :)
You mean the 544p mode add on specifically? I had to get that directly from the Sharpscale creator in some Discord channel.

It didn't work on CRTs very well because it used 720p pixel clock, meaning the front and back porches were huge. But it works great on my 4k OLED. Correctly detected as 544p

It'd be really nice if that gets you automatic scaling with the Tink 4K, instead of having to (I'm guessing here) crop manually with the 544p in 720p window.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

That would be great :) I have an LG OLED too, so it should work for me.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Konsolkongen wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:55 am

That would be great :) I have an LG OLED too, so it should work for me.
Me too, please!
Rulumi

Post by Rulumi »

bobrocks95 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:32 am I forget where things landed on ease of use. Is it like you need per-game bubbles for ARK/PSPEMU that you set up individually or can you just boot into one and load games from there?

Are you able to fully disable the filtering and get 2x nearest-neighbor on each axis like you can with Adrenaline?
Normal PSPEMU and chovy-sign created bubbles will use a per game bubble, with ARK-4 you can launch any of your digital games or ISOs from ARK's menu and it's also possible to set a button combination to return to ARK's menu from the game without having to restart PSPEMU. In newer builds it's possible to update ARK-4 inside it's own menu from internet as well.

For the scaling on a handheld Vita just disable the bilinear filter and it'll do that by default, on a PS Vita TV just use Sharpscale.
For PS1 games I guess the most "convenient" will be Adrenaline, but because sometimes the frame pacing issues can be more noticeable on PS1 games, it's probably better to make your own chovy-sign bubbles for PS1 games not avaliable on the PS Store.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Does ARK allow you to enter and launch games through the PSP BIOS? That’s a big part of why I’m interested in a HDMI mod to begin with.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Rulumi wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:53 pm
bobrocks95 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:32 am I forget where things landed on ease of use. Is it like you need per-game bubbles for ARK/PSPEMU that you set up individually or can you just boot into one and load games from there?

Normal PSPEMU and chovy-sign created bubbles will use a per game bubble, with ARK-4 you can launch any of your digital games or ISOs from ARK's menu and it's also possible to set a button combination to return to ARK's menu from the game without having to restart PSPEMU. In newer builds it's possible to update ARK-4 inside it's own menu from internet as well.

For the scaling on a handheld Vita just disable the bilinear filter and it'll do that by default, on a PS Vita TV just use Sharpscale.
For PS1 games I guess the most "convenient" will be Adrenaline, but because sometimes the frame pacing issues can be more noticeable on PS1 games, it's probably better to make your own chovy-sign bubbles for PS1 games not avaliable on the PS Store.
ARK doesn't sound bad and I'm willing to try setting it up when I get another flash drive in. Would Sharpscale properly disable the PSP bilinear filter though? I figured it would just disable the 544p->720p bilinear filter, but not the 272p->544p bilinear filter (Adrenaline lets you explicitly disable this).

Maybe that scaling pass was always nearest-neighbor though? Don't think I ever tried a PSP game with Sharpscale that wasn't running through Adrenaline with filtering disabled.

EDIT: PSP looked good but Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins had super crackly audio. Don't know what was going on there- didn't use ARK used a pkgj fork that downloads straight to the live area with PSPEMU I believe, not sure what clock speeds it's running at. Will try some more tomorrow.

@BazookaBen Hope you can get that SharpScale version, don't think the author would mind on a small forum like this but whatever you feel comfortable with. Wouldn't have to have a specific profile just for PSTV on the Tink4K if it can actually output 544p.
Rulumi

Post by Rulumi »

Sharpscale has an option to enable or disable the hardware bilinear filter, it should work on all modes except the "Original" one, but use Fitted option instead if you want a scale similar to the Original one and disable it (it actually preserves the slightly different aspect ratio unlike Sony's original settings).

Can't say much about that app as I don't use that, but I'm sure it used to make Adrenaline shortcut bubbles, not sure if that forks uses NoPspEmuDrm. But normally games that you can buy and download from the PS Store won't have compatibility issues, and even all of the games not it in are rarely incompatible, are you sure it just didn't create a bubble that uses Adrenaline?

EDIT:
SGGG2 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:06 pm Does ARK allow you to enter and launch games through the PSP BIOS? That’s a big part of why I’m interested in a HDMI mod to begin with.
If what you mean is the PSP VSH menu (XMB), no, you'll be using ARK's included launcher, but you should be able to customize it to an extent as well as change it with another compatible custom launcher.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

It does use noPspEmuDrm and is as far as I know like any bubble from the defunct store- crackly audio went away after I was no longer downloading anything, so I guess it uses a portion of whatever core(s) the OS uses or something?
Rulumi

Post by Rulumi »

Things like IO and the ME are handled on the Vita hardware side, so I guess it makes sense.

Also the store is not defunct, you can still buy PSP games from the PS3 and PS Vita PS Store.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Wow was Adrenaline's frame pacing always this bad? Super stuttery switching back to it.

I get best visual results (and supposedly better lag) with official bubbles and Sharpscale set to Real and doubling my zoom factor on the Tink 4K. However, I also get screen tearing in PSP games with Sharpscale set to real. It's one horizontal section near the bottom and it's never line up properly.

Is that, uh, normal?
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

bobrocks95 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:49 am Wow was Adrenaline's frame pacing always this bad? Super stuttery switching back to it.

I get best visual results (and supposedly better lag) with official bubbles and Sharpscale set to Real and doubling my zoom factor on the Tink 4K. However, I also get screen tearing in PSP games with Sharpscale set to real. It's one horizontal section near the bottom and it's never line up properly.

Is that, uh, normal?
From what I've read, it turns out that a lot of PSP games never used vsync. It's just easier to tell when blown up on a big screen via the Vita TV

I first noticed it on Wipeout Pulse and Pure. What made it stand out even more, probably, is that those games run close to 60fps in Adrenaline, where as they're closer to 30fps on an actual PSP. So I never noticed the tearing on that tiny LCD running at 30fps.

So yeah, I'd say try some more games. And maybe compare them to running natively on a PSP. It's possible they're running at a higher frame rate on the Vita, which might make frame time variability stand out more.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

I did some pixel peeping, and the difference between Sharpscale Real + 8x zoom on the Tink and Integer + 4x zoom seemed to just be confirmation bias- they look identical as far as I could tell.

Weirdly though yeah, the tearing definitely isn't there with Sharpscale's Integer mode for Ultimate Ghosts 'N' Goblins. Switch to Real and it's painfully obvious. Also tried Mega Man Maverick Hunter X and it was there in the same spot. It doesn't look like VSync tearing even, more just a small set of horizontal lines that are permanently offset near the bottom. Very strange.

Tried the modified Sharpscale as well BazookaBen and it's a bit of a mixed bag. The Tink picks up 960x544, but the HDMI aspect ratio flag isn't set properly so it assumes it's 4:3, and automatic RGB color range breaks as well and gets picked up as limited, though that's easily fixable. Ideally at some point in the future it gets updated to have the Real mode just output the framebuffer's actual res with no windowboxing at all (incompatible with displays, perfectly fine for newer scalers), but that may never happen. We're lucky to have it for the systems we do (which is growing as PixelFX gets Direct Mode updates out), where it works amazingly well. A Wii with an HDMI mod + Fix Resolution off in GCVideo + deflicker disable with USB Loader GX makes it literally look like a completely different system.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I was sent the Sharpscale add-on too. Unfortunately my LG C2 OLED hates it, so most of the time it will flicker like crazy (just like the TV handles 1600x1200 from the OSSC), but when it does work, it looks really nice. It might take a handful of times going back and forth between resolutions for it to work right. It's a hassle, but since LG has removed 4 way zoom in game mode, this is still the best way to display the Vita TV properly on this TV. At least it doesn't drop resolution when you boot a Vita or PSP game (don't have a PS1 game to test with).

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 904bc79ddc&

A shame that it doesn't work properly with the RetroTink 4K right now. I hope Mike can fix it. I bet that would look sick :)
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

I don't know that it's the Tink4K's fault. I think it's using the 480p mode's HDMI info and it just doesn't set things properly for 16:9 or the color space. You can get it looking good but it's the same amount of effort as making the default 720p Sharpscale output look good, and doesn't save me a profile slot in the end which is the most I was really hoping for.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

bobrocks95 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:38 pm I don't know that it's the Tink4K's fault. I think it's using the 480p mode's HDMI info and it just doesn't set things properly for 16:9 or the color space. You can get it looking good but it's the same amount of effort as making the default 720p Sharpscale output look good, and doesn't save me a profile slot in the end which is the most I was really hoping for.
Yeah if you can zoom 720p perfectly with no over/underscan then that’s probably the best approach. I seem to remember that a few games actually can run at 720p on the Vita TV? So no reason to loose out on that :)