Best option(s) for rotating-joysticks for use with emulators?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bcass

Best option(s) for rotating-joysticks for use with emulators?

Post by bcass »

I noticed the recent release of the GRS Super Joystick and was wondering what people here regard as the best option for such a stick for use with games like T.A.N.K. and Ikari Warriors with MAME?
Bassa-Bassa

Re: Best option(s) for rotating-joysticks for use with emulators?

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I think there's no other option sadly?

You could mount it on a better panel (anything seems better than using that box) but I don't know if the encoder it uses is reliable enough to be worth it. Doesn't seem the way to make it Mame-compatible is the best for now, either.
bcass

Post by bcass »

In theory, couldn't you use an original rotating stick with a Brook Universal board and map the left / right rotations accordingly in MAME? Currently, for T.A.N.K. I just have two other buttons mapped to rotate left / right with a normal 8 button setup.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

bcass wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:51 pm Currently, for T.A.N.K. I just have two other buttons mapped to rotate left / right with a normal 8 button setup.
Do you have to tap it to turn, or does it work to hold the button down?
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Lamprey

Post by Lamprey »

If you are looking for a dedicated roatary joystick the GRS is probably the best.

If you have original sticks (which most people don't) you coulds get a USB interface:
https://www.pcbway.com/project/sharepro ... o_USB.html

If you check out Ultimarc they make a Rotary Upgrade for a couple of thier joysticks.
https://www.ultimarc.com/arcade-control ... ik-j-stik/

I've used several Ultimarc products in the past and I would have no trouble remomending them, but I havn't used that paricular mod so I can't say how good it is.

Cheers!
bcass

Post by bcass »

emphatic wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:14 pmDo you have to tap it to turn, or does it work to hold the button down?
You can hold the buttons down and you get approx. 1 full rotation per second (tested on MiSTer FPGA).
bcass

Post by bcass »

Looking at the original LS-30 joystick, I don't think it is going to fit into a standard joystick enclosure:

Looks way too deep.
bcass

Post by bcass »

bcass wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:24 pm
emphatic wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:14 pmDo you have to tap it to turn, or does it work to hold the button down?
You can hold the buttons down and you get approx. 1 full rotation per second (tested on MiSTer FPGA).
Also, if you want it to rotate faster, you could always set the buttons to use autofire with a custom rate.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Too bad you can't buy the GRS version of the LS-30 without the whole fight stick enclosure with buttons etc. Looks very interesting. It amazes me that in this day and age, they can't re-imagine a version that isn't as tall.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
D

Post by D »

emphatic wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:40 pm Too bad you can't buy the GRS version of the LS-30 without the whole fight stick enclosure with buttons etc. Looks very interesting. It amazes me that in this day and age, they can't re-imagine a version that isn't as tall.
Why would they? It fits in arcade cabinets
And people that want to use them in home diy project will figure other ways to do it. Like extend whatever case you desperately want to use for it.
I am glad they they do not comprimise and keep it working as is. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Be happy that they even still sell these. The stock might dry up at some point and I doubt they are still producing them.
Glass is half full... And this thread has provided so many options. I too wanted to buy 2 of those grs. But no shipping outside of US.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

emphatic wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:40 pm Too bad you can't buy the GRS version of the LS-30 without the whole fight stick enclosure with buttons etc. Looks very interesting. It amazes me that in this day and age, they can't re-imagine a version that isn't as tall.
It’s not an enclosure (but you’d be forgiven for thinking so given the images on the site). It’s actually just a stiff box. All of the individual parts are packed inside in foam. I had assumed it was done just to have something setup to make sure everything worked. I can share pics later if you’d like some proof.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

I've seen some reviews on Youtube for it now. Everything's cleared up! The box is a novelty, the real gold are the parts, it seems. Pretty fun idea, allowing the box to be used in that way. It seems like the throw on this is similar to the LS-30 or even shorter.
bcass

Post by bcass »

I read some pretty negative things about it (the GRS) on Twitter - things like "it doesn't work out of the box for MiSTer FPGA", and "high input latency". Things that your average youtuber will likely gloss over.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

What mods would the GRS Superstick need to properly work with a MiISTer setup?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~