GroovyMiSTer: Use a MiSTer as a Groovymame output device

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SuperSpongo

GroovyMiSTer: Use a MiSTer as a Groovymame output device

Post by SuperSpongo »

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... c=168163.0

Have you seen this latest core for the MiSTer?
It allows you to stream data from PC setup (Groovymame and other custom emulator builds) via Gigabit LAN to the MiSTer running a custom core. This core outputs native arcade resolutions.
It eliminates the need for a Radeon GPU with custom drivers - you can use it with any Windows PC. It also skips unnecessary OS overhead keeping latency low (calamity's tests yielded 3ms). It is not a GPU substitude, you can't output windows desktop etc. It also does not support inputs from the MiSTer or audio for now.

It's an interesting use-case for sure! I'll have to check it out someday.
BONKERS

Re: GroovyMiSTer: Use a MiSTer as a Groovymame output device

Post by BONKERS »

This is really cool, definitely would be something I am interested in because of the lack of the proper GPU and what not.
SuperSpongo

Post by SuperSpongo »

It's certainly cool to be able to use your main gaming PC for 15kHz gaming :D No need to build an extra system with an old GPU anymore. Although to be fair, that setup has its advantages too, like being able to play modern Pixel games at native resolution.
But hey! the more options, the better.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Bypassing the OS limitations and the drivers is an amazing idea. If you know a little about networking, it's already worth setting up. :D
We apologise for the inconvenience
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

orange808 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:50 pm If you know a little about networking, it's already worth setting up. :D
And if you don't, what's needed for gigabit ethernet from an ordinary PC from some years ago, a dedicated card?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Bassa-Bassa wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:10 pm
orange808 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:50 pm If you know a little about networking, it's already worth setting up. :D
And if you don't, what's needed for gigabit ethernet from an ordinary PC from some years ago, a dedicated card?
That would be best. Although, I imagine a new machine would be best if you want to push that frame delay as high as possible.

My machine met the requirements, so I didn't have to do much--outside of the network configuration.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I'm currently using a Groovymame PC on a CRT and it's enough for a high frame delay in most cases thanks to OC. Any easy way to know if the built-in LAN of my motherboard meets the requirements?

Thank you.
KnightNZ

Post by KnightNZ »

This is _really_ cool and it works well for me, for a few seconds, and then the entire MiSTer locks solid while MAME on my PC keeps running.

Anyone know if it's sensitive to any other configuration settings (Direct Video etc.)?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Can I use a Mac Studio with this? :lol:
Calamity

Post by Calamity »

KnightNZ wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:23 am This is _really_ cool and it works well for me, for a few seconds, and then the entire MiSTer locks solid while MAME on my PC keeps running.

Anyone know if it's sensitive to any other configuration settings (Direct Video etc.)?
It's sensitive to bad network connection (wifi or non-Gigabit wired), and bandwidth overload (31 kHz without lz4). With Gigabit direct wired connection PC <->MiSTer it should run flawless for the typical 15 kHz arcade games.