Great new Amiga Shmup

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
lionagony

Great new Amiga Shmup

Post by lionagony »

The Amiga had some great vertical shmups in its heyday like Battle Squadron, SWIV, Banshee, Mega Typhoon etc. but just this weekend a new one came out that I think would impress you guys. Here's the trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqFjQmf ... eschreiber I'm a huge Amiga fan and think this quality of game should be seen by everyone not just the Amiga community. It really is arcade quality and the playability is great especially on hard difficulty. I love how the sfx are almost like haptic feedback for the ears. My only criticism is that it's a little short with only 5 stages but it's the work of only 1 coder, 1 artist and 1 musician over 4 years so with that in mind it's an amazing accomplishment.
m.sniffles.esq

Re: Great new Amiga Shmup

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

it's the work of only 1 coder, 1 artist and 1 musician over 4 years so with that in mind it's an amazing accomplishment.

Well, I certainly hope the music was done on ProTracker...
lionagony

Post by lionagony »

I should probably also mention that this same team that made Reshoot Proxima III also put out a horizontal shmup in 2019 called Reshoot R that is fantastic. The visuals are incredible, especially stage 3 and 5. Here's a longplay https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXhf2Gj ... nJustGames I just got back into the Amiga scene last year so only bought it a few months ago but the playability is excellent. It goes up there with my favourite Amiga horizontal shooters Disposable Hero, Apidya, Menace and Agony which imo is the most beautiful game of the 16 bit era.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Looks neat! Nice to see new stuff for older platforms.
m.sniffles.esq wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:56 amWell, I certainly hope the music was done on ProTracker...
?
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

^^^
Ubiquitous Amiga music software
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I know what ProTracker is, but I don't understand what the point of the initial comment was. What does it matter what it was composed in?

Speaking of shmups that've been at least 4 years in development, how's your ASCII shmup coming along?
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Disappointed that people still confuse Amiga with Amiga 1200. It's like mentioning PS1 for a PS2 game, or MSX for an MSX2 title.
lionagony

Post by lionagony »

Bassa-Bassa wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:09 pm Disappointed that people still confuse Amiga with Amiga 1200. It's like mentioning PS1 for a PS2 game, or MSX for an MSX2 title.
Well with the majority I imagine using emulation these days these differences aren't as important because emulators can easily run any Amiga. However, yes Reshoot Proxima 3 is AGA only so A1200, A4000 or CD32. For games that push AGA I would put both Reshoot R and Proxima 3 up there with Super Stardust, Banshee, Slam Tilt etc. or another gorgeous shmup called Ultra Violent Worlds, but that one requires an additonal 2MB of Fast Ram.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I know what ProTracker is, but I don't understand what the point of the initial comment was. What does it matter what it was composed in?

joke
noun
ˈjōk

a
: something said or done to provoke laughter
especially : a brief oral narrative with a climactic humorous twist
b(1)
: the humorous or ridiculous element in something
(2)
: an instance of jesting : kidding

As in: Since the game was created for 30 plus-year-old hardware the music better have been created with said hardware--or, pshaw... </sarcasm>

etc
etc
lionagony

Post by lionagony »

Have you guys seen this? New bullet hell under development from one of the artists behind Battle Squadron and an incredible coder. This is on stock A1200, the best part is near the end with the bullet test. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhazNVv ... GoldenCode