Voultar PCE Duo RGB kit- TTL Csync / composite pin lift?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bobrocks95

Voultar PCE Duo RGB kit- TTL Csync / composite pin lift?

Post by bobrocks95 »

Trying to clean up the pretty noisy picture on my PC Engine Duo-R into a Tink 4K and looking into everything I can do to improve things.

The LPF is already confusing on Voultar's board, since you have to jumper the LPF pad it to disable it and it's on by default.

I'm not sure if my cable attenuates the csync line, but my equipment is all fine with TTL-level csync (I use VGA connectors) so I'd rather the mod board output TTL levels for the sync line in case it is being attenuated twice. Right now it's labeled as CS75Ohm and the sync line comes from the THS7374 through a resistor and then a capacitor all in series- if I remove the resistor and jumper the pad does that raise things back to TTL or do I need to do something on the amp's input side as well (looks like 2 resistors and a cap on that end)? Don't think there are schematics available for Voultar's board so not 100% sure on anything here.

On top of that, is there any sort of composite video disable mod or subcarrier pin to lift or trace to sever that can further improve things in a Duo-R? It and the Dreamcast are my least sharp and noisiest systems video-wise, everything else dialed in pretty well.

I see a colorburst pin that could be lifted or R134 removed, but oddly that pin seems to be part of the cartridge audio mixing circuit (anything other than TED Pro that uses this pin?)
https://imgur.com/FQNIqji
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
fernan1234

Re: Voultar PCE Duo RGB kit- TTL Csync / composite pin lift?

Post by fernan1234 »

Not what you're asking for, but with PC Engine RGB mods and their bad color palette themselves getting outmoded, eventually you can consider this S-video alternative which can be almost as sharp as RGB but with correct colors (and yes it can be installed on Duo consoles too):

https://github.com/zaxour/TurboNanza/bl ... /readme.md
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

fernan1234 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:06 am Not what you're asking for, but with PC Engine RGB mods and their bad color palette themselves getting outmoded, eventually you can consider this S-video alternative which can be almost as sharp as RGB but with correct colors (and yes it can be installed on Duo consoles too):

https://github.com/zaxour/TurboNanza/bl ... /readme.md
Don't think I can easily get S-Video through my video switch, though I guess I could plug it directly into the Tink 4K. I'd rather have a sharper image over color accuracy though, just personally speaking. If someone bothers to create a CPLD or FPGA-based RGB mod I'd imagine the LUT could easily be implemented for RGB plus accurate colors. I get the feeling the console just isn't popular enough over here to get a lot of attention.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

bobrocks95 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:52 pm Don't think I can easily get S-Video through my video switch, though I guess I could plug it directly into the Tink 4K. I'd rather have a sharper image over color accuracy though, just personally speaking. If someone bothers to create a CPLD or FPGA-based RGB mod I'd imagine the LUT could easily be implemented for RGB plus accurate colors. I get the feeling the console just isn't popular enough over here to get a lot of attention.
I feel you. If you insist on using original hardware, there's the Super HD System 3 which can use the correct color palette via RGB, but it has a bunch of bugs and other downsides, and doesn't work with a Duo console of course. Otherwise, there's the MiSTer core which at this point is like a perfect console, except it's not a real console.
AaronSR

Post by AaronSR »

If someone bothers to create a CPLD or FPGA-based RGB mod I'd imagine the LUT could easily be implemented for RGB plus accurate colors. I get the feeling the console just isn't popular enough over here to get a lot of attention.
I'm also waiting/hoping for this myself.
there's the Super HD System 3 which can use the correct color palette via RGB
Do any of the other "expansion RGB devices" correct the color palette or only the SSDS3? There's not a great deal of comparisons between all the different devices such as Krikzz' EDFX and "RGB Add-On Board V2" etc. but since they're all relatively new I had hoped they might also have some palette corrections?
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

S-video from my Turbonanza is plenty sharp, on my CRT anyway
Gara

Post by Gara »

AaronSR wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:06 pm
there's the Super HD System 3 which can use the correct color palette via RGB
Do any of the other "expansion RGB devices" correct the color palette or only the SSDS3? There's not a great deal of comparisons between all the different devices such as Krikzz' EDFX and "RGB Add-On Board V2" etc. but since they're all relatively new I had hoped they might also have some palette corrections?
The only ways to get composite colors is the SHDS3, MiSTer,. and S-video output from the Turbonanza internal modification. EDFX and all those other RGB expansions have the same incorrect RGB. The old SSDS3 also doesn't support composite colors.

SHDS3 is pretty problematic. All the unfixed bugs and the low audio problems when using analog output make it less than desirable. I'm switching my own SHDS3 setup over to the Turbonanza s-video output paired with a Turbo Everdrive Pro. I keep getting too many problems with the SHDS3. The low audio really bugs me and it was a constant annoyance not knowing if a game was crashing/freezing because of problems with the original game or lack of polish on the ODE component of the SHDS3. Hopefully I'll get a better experience with the Turbo Everdrive Pro once I get the new setup going. Krikzz is at least supporting the device and going after bugs.