OLED BVM model differences?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
DejahThoris

OLED BVM model differences?

Post by DejahThoris »

I've seen a few OLED BVMs pop up locally recently and I'm curious what the differences in models are.

BVM-F170/F170A
BVM-E170/170A/171

What is the A designation difference? And E170 vs 171 for example.
wwse

Re: OLED BVM model differences?

Post by wwse »

tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

Are these cheaper now by this point?
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

See them for sale locally every once in a while. From what I understand those older OLED BVMs are 1080p60/SDR and use actual RGB OLEDs from JOLED, correct? How's burn in on these and has anybody measured latency?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

ASDR wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:35 pm and use actual RGB OLEDs from JOLED, correct?
I don't think the panels were from JOLED, but were in-house made by Sony themselves. Could be wrong on this one though.
ASDR wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:35 pm How's burn in on these and has anybody measured latency?
Never seen a unit with burn in. The HDR capable X300 did have more issues with burn in and other things. On units with the slightly lower grade panels (F models) still lower grade ones (PVMs) I have seen stuck pixels, but it's rare. Don't know if anyone has taken measurements with a TimeSleuth (the youtuber called Zez Retro may have done so in his video on one of these monitors), but latency is not a problem at all on these I can say that much.
DejahThoris wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:44 pm What is the A designation difference? And E170 vs 171 for example.
E is higher grade panel than F. The A at the end indicates a newer model with a better panel that has wider viewing angle among a couple of other advantages. The ones that end in 1 are the newest revisions, they don't have expansion slots and were originally sold at a lower price than the older models, but again they are the newest make (I have a E251 made in 2021) and have a few extra features like a setting to turn on/off the rolling scan (though I'd never turn it off). The E171 in particular can technically be used as an HDR monitor (needs a stupid license).
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Thanks, I figured there had to be a brochure somewhere, but I couldn't seem to find it.
fernan1234 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:16 am
ASDR wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:35 pm and use actual RGB OLEDs from JOLED, correct?
I don't think the panels were from JOLED, but were in-house made by Sony themselves. Could be wrong on this one though.
ASDR wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:35 pm How's burn in on these and has anybody measured latency?
Never seen a unit with burn in. The HDR capable X300 did have more issues with burn in and other things. On units with the slightly lower grade panels (F models) still lower grade ones (PVMs) I have seen stuck pixels, but it's rare. Don't know if anyone has taken measurements with a TimeSleuth (the youtuber called Zez Retro may have done so in his video on one of these monitors), but latency is not a problem at all on these I can say that much.
DejahThoris wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:44 pm What is the A designation difference? And E170 vs 171 for example.
E is higher grade panel than F. The A at the end indicates a newer model with a better panel that has wider viewing angle among a couple of other advantages. The ones that end in 1 are the newest revisions, they don't have expansion slots and were originally sold at a lower price than the older models, but again they are the newest make (I have a E251 made in 2021) and have a few extra features like a setting to turn on/off the rolling scan (though I'd never turn it off). The E171 in particular can technically be used as an HDR monitor (needs a stupid license).
Thanks for the breakdown!
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

I have a 2551MD (AKA the lowest end model IIRC) and the thing is a damned champ. Though it takes some finagling to get a proper signal from a PC(And needing to use the service menu to make 4:4:4 display properly. An issue I assume the other models do not have).
250 nit peak with barely any noticeable ABR, and my unit does have some minor burn in if you set something like a 5% grayscale tone fullscreen. Have something like 10-13000 hours on mine (can't remember for sure) and all burn in is from the original owners ( A hospital) of my display. I have not had any additional burn in in the roughly 6000 hours I have put on it personally.
Latency is something like 20-30ms last I checked with my Time Sleuth. I have no issues S ranking songs on it in Project Diva Mega Mix + on PC with my latency adjusted to -24ms or so.