Why are Dodonpachi and Ketsui so dominant across this genre?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
qmish

Re: Why are Dodonpachi and Ketsui so dominant across this genre?

Post by qmish »

Juju Kenobi wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:15 am I put most of the info in a condensed manner, that you can find on the shmup wiki :
https://shmups.wiki/library/Progear_no_Arashi

There is also a video on Mark's channel where we explain most of the game mechanics :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW38MAfieow

Oh wow! Thank you much!

p.s.
That wiki reminds me of Mizuumi :) Cool
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: Why are Dodonpachi and Ketsui so dominant across this ge

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Queen Charlene wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:10 pm Gradius is significantly more recognizable than DDP. most people still don't know what DDP is, but Gradius has a well-known, long-standing legacy, and many Gradius references are packed into all sorts of games. hell, Konami has made the Vic Viper playable in tens of games, one of the most notable being in Zone of the Enders 2 as a transforming mech (and one of the best boss fights of the whole game).
It was the American arcade subsidy, Atlus USA, whom sold/distributed the Donpachi jamma pcb conversion kits stateside back in 1995. They did not sell/distribute the DoDonpachi jamma pcb conversion kits in the USA for the 1997-1998 timeline. So yes, American arcade gamers were quite familiar with the first Cave/Atlus released Donpachi arcade stg back in 1995-1996 indeed.

I've played Donpachi housed in a Dynamo upright cab at a local arcade hangout back in 1995 -- it cost four nickels per credit to play.

I have a hunch/theory that Donpachi didn't sell/fare well enough with the American arcade operators/indy street location routes back in the day for Atlus USA to make the "ultimate decision" not to sell/promote DDP arcade jamma pcb kits in the USA going forward in 1997-1998 (when they were made available to purchase during that particular point in time through Cave Co. Ltd. with both JPN and International versions of DDP pcb kits).

Of course, only Atlus USA themselves would know the "real reason" as to why DDP pcb kits weren't sold/distributed stateside. Hmmm...

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
gray117

Re: Why are Dodonpachi and Ketsui so dominant across this genre?

Post by gray117 »

Who knows ... in terms of popularity/recognition, perhaps space invaders will gradually fade without a refresh...

But it's probably just the recent-ish quality ports of quality games... and a certain peak now 20? ish years ago... A few years ago it seemed to be garegga... before that futari seemed to be the scoring fashion.

More just random musings from me than any answer:

Apart from being vertical, Dodonpachi is probably visibly as fundamental as you'd expect a spaceship shooter to be... and as a marque brand with so many good individual games across emulation and ports this is kind of completely as expected. Anyone has probably had a decently version of the original ddp for 25-30 years now available to them, with various new games since. It's just kind of mind boggling it hasn't gotten a proper release since atlus' ps1/ps3 port.

Honestly slightly surprised if ketsui is up there these days, but I suppose ports and emulation have pushed it up there; past the old school ubiquity of raiden/gradius (/v with the very accessible ps2 port) / ikaruga ... ... and perhaps past deathsmiles (10-15? years ago)... now it's the 'other cave game' people now hear of and can buy relatively easily.

Doj and ketsui, in that order, are my own personal favourite cave games, so it's not like I'd object to the current state of affairs... but it will probably change for ketsui...

Progear seems to have cropped up a few times in this thread; it was always an odd game. I think it's nice it's gotten a bit more attention with the capcom arcade (stick) re-releases, I always thought it should have been way more popular (at least with the anime crowd) on emulation than it ever seemed to get. Despite it's obvious charm and bombast I personally don't enjoy it to play that much...

And there's the other thing with chat/youtubes/streams, it's not always obvious in a niche genre what kind of dominance there really is - what gets played by a silent slice of the audience vs. a smaller but more vocal/engaged/re-repeat play audience.
evil_ash_xero

Re: Why are Dodonpachi and Ketsui so dominant across this ge

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Special World wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:59 am Imo Dodonpachi DOJ is p much a structurally perfect game with a great aesthetic and is great fun. Ketsui's kinda a mystery to me... the graphics are kinda ugly and I don't love the way it plays. Still a very good game though.
It's weird, as I've always had a hard time getting into DOJ's aesthetic. I always found the bosses to be bland (well, not as fights). Whereas Ketsui has always appealed to me. Really love the soundtrack (even more than DOJ's), I like the look of the game better, and the bullet patterns... whoo!

But they are kind of like brothers. I can see one liking one over the other.
Black Label has really gotten me more into DOJ.