DoDonPachi DaiOuJou BL Ex - Getting started

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
RagingAvatar

DoDonPachi DaiOuJou BL Ex - Getting started

Post by RagingAvatar »

Hello!

I've been a member here a long time and I've been dabbling on and off for years but have been having a bit of a hankering to one to try again lately.

Anyway, I decided to fire up DoDonPachi DaiOuJou Black Label Extra for Xbox 360 today and immediately I was stumped to understand what the difference was between Arcade (New Version), Arcade (Old Version) and X-Arcade (Xbox 360 version).

I made it to stage 2's boss in Arcade (New Version) on 1 credit and then gave X-Arcade a go. This gave me loads of achievements while I managed to get 1000+ combos on stages 2-5, and I eventually ran out of credits (3) on the stage 5 boss.

I think the chaining mechanic is different in the 360 version and I noticed that it also has auto-bomb..

Where can I find out more about the differences between the different versions?
What's the difference in the new PS4 version? (Rinki Reincarnation?)

Please forgive starting a new thread, I didn't want to derail the Rinki thread.
XB GT: RagingAvatar
Ms. Tea

Re: DoDonPachi DaiOuJou BL Ex - Getting started

Post by Ms. Tea »

Arcade (new version) is black label, and arcade (old version) is white label. Black label features a few bugfixes and balance improvements, and it's considered the better version by pretty much everyone.

I'm afraid I don't know much about the 360-specific features - I haven't played it. But if you're interested in the new port, I think Gosokkyu's port on cohost is the best English summary: https://cohost.org/gosokkyu/post/362488 ... -dai-ou-jo
EVLSHMUP

Post by EVLSHMUP »

I must be mistaken as I thought both new and old are both BL, but new is one loop straight into TFB and the other is a duo loop into TFB?
Whisker

Post by Whisker »

EVLSHMUP wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:17 am I must be mistaken as I thought both new and old are both BL, but new is one loop straight into TFB and the other is a duo loop into TFB?
DOJBL (new) lets you select either a one-loop or two-loop game. You'll get Hibachi in both modes. DOJWL (old) only has a two-loop mode, classic CAVE style. You probably mistake it for the Version-A/B selection menu which appears during boot in the arcade version.