Gunstream (2023? New Game Gear STG by ex Aleste devs)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
kid aphex

Gunstream (2023? New Game Gear STG by ex Aleste devs)

Post by kid aphex »

Searched but not found.
I wouldn’t care much if GG Aleste 3 didn’t prove the formula still worked.

Here’s an article that explains it all so I don’t have to:
https://www.timeextension.com/news/2022 ... leste-devs
soupbones

Re: Gunstream (2023? New Game Gear STG by ex Aleste devs)

Post by soupbones »

Totally forgot about this!

Fall 2022 was the originally planned release - so hopefully its not too far off.
segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan »

of course not uncommon for these small indie projects to be pushed back. Here's a video of level 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl8ZAUydqlY

show them some love here:
https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/155 ... 64?lang=en

Can't wait!!

-SSF
I design retro gaming add-ons and repair old consoles :)
My Website: Segasonicfan Designs http://www.segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Japan only, but a 3 minute caravan version cartridge is up for preorder. (Full game with actual stages is still in development). Should be a neat cart for collectors but at 7,800yen it ain't cheap:
https://www.gameimpact.info/gunstream/
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Whoah, completely missed this!

The music's being done by Takeaki 'Kinoko' Kunimoto, who did in-house stuff for Hudson back in the mid-80s. Some notable titles:

Star Soldier (1986)
Milon's Secret Castle (1986)
Starship Hector (1987)
J.J. & Jeff (1987)
Victory Run (1987)

The article in the OP says this is being done by "the duo behind GG Aleste II." More than 2 people worked on that game, but some digging leads me to the main planner and programmer Hiroki Kodama and Takumi 'Takin' Yamashita. They worked on a bunch of other stuff at Compile, including Spriggan, Dennin Aleste & Puyo Puyo titles.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

If i read the translation correctly its impossible to order it outside of Japan? I don't exactly plan to fly to Tokyo to pick it up
Sengoku Strider

They just did a livestream, but it's all talking (in Japanese) no gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/live/42GJmbDb2Y ... are&t=1671

I'll post some notes later if there's anything worth sharing once I've had a chance to watch it.
spmbx wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:57 pm If i read the translation correctly its impossible to order it outside of Japan? I don't exactly plan to fly to Tokyo to pick it up
Japan is on its own banking system which has always been weird about foreign credit cards. But there are various Japan shopping services like Zenmarket that will let you place domestic orders through them.
Sengoku Strider

The interview in the video was conducted via skype or something, and there was music with lyrics playing in the background, so a few moments were tough to hear. Apologies in advance if I misinterpreted anything:
  • The initial release only contains the "challenge mode," which is a 3-minute caravan mode.
  • They'll be at Comiket with it. Were thinking of maybe a caravan competition, but timing is awkward since this hits at the end of summer.
  • There are no saves or (obviously) online leaderboards, but scores can be shared with others via password.
  • They're really happy with how the soundtrack turned out, contains 12 tracks in all.
  • The main release will contain the story mode. Hoping to release that before the end of the year, if they're able to get it done.
  • Talked a bit about the high expense of selling overseas. Hope to have some news on that in the future, but sorry, Nippon nomi for now.
And that's about it. They went over a screen shot of the challenge mode, but it was just the host pretending to be super excited about the fact that it has bombs and a score display at the top of the screen. Didn't get into any unique mechanics or scoring. They finished by going over the details already on the purchase site.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

So... The obvious question, is anyone here going to any of those comiccons and willing to bring+ship a copy of the caravan cart?
Hazuki

Post by Hazuki »

I just hope they won't lock it to Game Gear only and put some protection in the rom to make it impossible to play in any emulator, but they probably will.
soupbones

Post by soupbones »

spmbx wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:57 pmJapan is on its own banking system which has always been weird about foreign credit cards. But there are various Japan shopping services like Zenmarket that will let you place domestic orders through them.
Just grabbed a copy using Zenmarket - thanks for the tip!
Sengoku Strider

soupbones wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:34 pm
spmbx wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:57 pmJapan is on its own banking system which has always been weird about foreign credit cards. But there are various Japan shopping services like Zenmarket that will let you place domestic orders through them.
Just grabbed a copy using Zenmarket - thanks for the tip!
Sure. Just watch out for all the little fees, they can stack up quicker than it seems!
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Anyone playing Gun Stream Challenge Version?
I'm eagerly waiting on a copy. 3 minutes is going to be such a tease.
soupbones

Post by soupbones »

Koa Zo wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:09 pm Anyone playing Gun Stream Challenge Version?
Received my copy yesterday!

Game arrived in a sweet hard case, with full color cover and inside art. Overall nice packaging.

Game itself is really fun. Not sure i’d rank it as high as GG Aleste 3, but that’s a really high bar in my book - and i’ve only put 20-30 minutes max into it so far.

Slowly getting better at the game. I can definitely see myself sticking with this one for a while.

One thing to note - it has a password system so you can share your high score.

Here’s my current high in case anyone is playing:
PCI3 V6KY N46L Y8D0
segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan »

soupbones wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:25 am
Koa Zo wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:09 pm Anyone playing Gun Stream Challenge Version?
Received my copy yesterday!

Game arrived in a sweet hard case, with full color cover and inside art. Overall nice packaging.

Game itself is really fun. Not sure i’d rank it as high as GG Aleste 3, but that’s a really high bar in my book - and i’ve only put 20-30 minutes max into it so far.

Slowly getting better at the game. I can definitely see myself sticking with this one for a while.

One thing to note - it has a password system so you can share your high score.

Here’s my current high in case anyone is playing:
PCI3 V6KY N46L Y8D0
Thats cool about the high score password system! Care to upload a 3 min playthrough on a video hosting site somewhere? :D

too bad it's Japan sales only. The box and manual look stellar from the pics on the main site.
blazinglazers69

Post by blazinglazers69 »

Hazuki wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:49 am I just hope they won't lock it to Game Gear only and put some protection in the rom to make it impossible to play in any emulator, but they probably will.
If you didn't know, they (l33t h4x0r5?) did manage to dump a ROM of GG Aleste 3 that can be played on an emulator.
Hazuki

Post by Hazuki »

blazinglazers69 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:33 pm
Hazuki wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:49 am I just hope they won't lock it to Game Gear only and put some protection in the rom to make it impossible to play in any emulator, but they probably will.
If you didn't know, they (l33t h4x0r5?) did manage to dump a ROM of GG Aleste 3 that can be played on an emulator.
I certainly didn't know that. So, it seems like that happened 3 months ago. Thanks for letting me know!
RebeL9

Post by RebeL9 »

I recently tried out the 3 minute demo of Gunstream. Really nice little shooter. Judging by the demo I would say it plays very much like the Aleste games but maybe doesn't really have that level of details like GG Aleste 3. But then again it remains to be seen when the whole game gets released. Lets hope we dont have to wait for much longer!
soupbones

Post by soupbones »

RebeL9 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:30 pm I recently tried out the 3 minute demo of Gunstream. Really nice little shooter. Judging by the demo I would say it plays very much like the Aleste games but maybe doesn't really have that level of details like GG Aleste 3. But then again it remains to be seen when the whole game gets released. Lets hope we dont have to wait for much longer!
Has the rom been dumped? Or did you manage to snag a cart?

Still going back to this once in a while - really great game. Looks good on the big screen as well (via Analogue dock).
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

soupbones wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:19 pm
RebeL9 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:30 pm I recently tried out the 3 minute demo of Gunstream. Really nice little shooter. Judging by the demo I would say it plays very much like the Aleste games but maybe doesn't really have that level of details like GG Aleste 3. But then again it remains to be seen when the whole game gets released. Lets hope we dont have to wait for much longer!

Still going back to this once in a while - really great game. Looks good on the big screen as well (via Analogue dock).
"Stolen" is a better word. Both the GG rom and even a fully working Master System hack have been leaked by some asshole. This game isn't even three months old and still for sale, but already leaked without the dev's consent. I really hope this doesn't affect the development of the full game...

The game itself is quite cool. Only three minutes long but a great proof of concept.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

Is ONLY for Game Gear? :cry:
RebeL9

Post by RebeL9 »

soupbones wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:19 pm

The rom has been dumped. Not going to pay 70 usd for a 3 minute demo lol.
I however plan to buy the finished game.
RebeL9

Post by RebeL9 »

Lemnear wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:57 am Is ONLY for Game Gear? :cry:
What did you expect? It's a Game Gear game.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

RebeL9 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:43 am
Lemnear wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:57 am Is ONLY for Game Gear? :cry:
What did you expect? It's a Game Gear game.
idk...GG Aleste 3 is a Game Gear game but is available for PS4 and Switch at least :?
segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan »

I certainly wouldn't post / share a new game like this on the web.
However, I think the dev was setting themselves up for problems when they refuse to sell any carts to overseas buyers / making it almost impossible to legitimately purchase and support.
Im gonna do what I can do buy the full game when its out. It looks amazing.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

segasonicfan wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:10 am I certainly wouldn't post / share a new game like this on the web.
However, I think the dev was setting themselves up for problems when they refuse to sell any carts to overseas buyers / making it almost impossible to legitimately purchase and support.
Where are you getting this information that the developers are "refusing to sell any carts overseas"?
From what I understand, they are thrilled to sell overseas, they just aren't able to manage the international payment and banking issues as a small company within Japan.

And it is in no way impossible to purchase. I had one preordered and delivered to the US just days after release, wasn't difficult one bit. CD Japan still has a listing for the caravan release. They'll create a listing for the full game too once it is available and someone requests it through their proxy service.

It is particularly irksome to see people blame the small hobbiest developer for people stealing their work.
segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan »

Koa Zo wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:50 pm
segasonicfan wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:10 am I certainly wouldn't post / share a new game like this on the web.
Where are you getting this information that the developers are "refusing to sell any carts overseas"?
From what I understand, they are thrilled to sell overseas, they just aren't able to manage the international payment and banking issues as a small company within Japan.

And it is in no way impossible to purchase. I had one preordered and delivered to the US just days after release, wasn't difficult one bit. CD Japan still has a listing for the caravan release. They'll create a listing for the full game too once it is available and someone requests it through their proxy service.

It is particularly irksome to see people blame the small hobbiest developer for people stealing their work.
Thanks for providing some info on this.

Their website says "an overseas person cant buy it" and has no info for any way to import it. Given the nature of many Japanese sellers not wanting to sell to people outside the country, and even blocking proxies, it's an easy assumption to make. If that's not the case though, that's very good. If I knew them I'd encourage them to make it a little more clear that it's a shipping limitation and say that they will sell to proxies.

Not exactly blaming them for piracy / stealing. I think my post made clear I don't support that for current dev games. Just shedding some light on why it might be happening, when people who want to buy it don't know how to / can't. After using a proxy bidding service and paying for shipping twice, this is quite a costly import.

all that said - I repeat that I would not share any roms for this online. That's just mean and stupid, since it kills support for our much loved GG and GG devs.

-SSF