Diablo Clones

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Evilmaxwar

Re: Diablo Clones

Post by Evilmaxwar »

I actually pledged on Grim dawn at kickstarter, This game looks REALLY Promising!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cra ... /grim-dawn
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

Moniker wrote:Got Sacred 2 (X360) per recommendation. Actually really good so far. First few levels were a drag, but I'm ~lvl6 now and things are coming together. Started with a Dryad on Silver difficulty - in almost all D&D based RPGs, it seems I do best with archers/rangers. Combat is sort of a mashup b/w Diablo & Dragon Age: Origins. Took me awhile to get into the combat groove, and while I wish there was a little more tactile feedback during combat, I'm starting to dig it. Finding your destination is sorta shitty, but that's a small price to pay. ;)

Anyway, good enough consolation for the fact that my laptop will never be able to run D3. Maybe I'll start a kickstarter page... or max out my credit card. :D (BryanM, you crazy.)
The multishot skill with a blowpipe is win. Dryad also has some good defensive buffs (if I remember correctly) and it would be a good idea to get your second buff active as soon as possible. Also be careful with your rune consumption of you can nerf your character with no respec options to rectify it.

Protip- Find the White Griffon boss, set the nearest waypoint marker, load freeworld and farm him for some good equipment drop chances. You can consistently farm the 3 piece sets from him at every level.
Number of 1cc's : 5
Now playing: Gunbird
greg

Post by greg »

If you have a DS, Dungeon Explorer and From the Abyss are Diablo-esque. Unless I am mistaken (haven't played it), I believe that Summon Night Twin Age is also in the same category.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Having read my older posts in this thread, I'm not seeing X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse mentioned. Holds up on PC (the kind of graphics that look good in high resolutions and don't age horribly), can be pimped-out with forced anisotropic filtering and is fully playable with a controller. Local co-op for up to four.

Now I must resist buying Dungeon Siege III just yet (I don't expect any proper Dungeon Siege's successor, nor do I demand it to be one). Seems like a game I can't go wrong with... and that's precisely why I must resist (after all, it's unlikely to become rare or expensive in years to come).
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

BryanM

Post by BryanM »

In the meantime, Path of Exile and Marvel Heroes came out and they're free free freebitty free.

Amazing how Blizzard managed to completely kill my desire for Diablo 3. I'll give it a play-through if they ever match the $0 an hour its competitors would cost me, I guess.

Diablo 2 got a patch the other week, but I have this weird feeling that there's not going to be another content patch, or a super whazbo high-res re-rendered art version of the game ever released.

Oh, and I was excited about giving Devilian a try until it was shockingly revealed it doesn't support Win XP for some arcane eldritch reason.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

...I've also realised since the year 2012 that Darkstone (I mean the PC version) seems more faithful to the original Diablo's spirit than I remember Diablo 2 was.* On the other hand, X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse tends to win over those who preferred Diablo 2.
That being said, Darkstone's game engine does feel dated in a way Rise of Apocalypse's doesn't...

*) Not quite sure why - there's more overworld to explore in Darkstone than it was in the first Diablo, in which sense the former should feel more like Diablo 2... and yet it doesn't. Maybe it's the atmosphere, then - anywhere I went in Diablo 2, I'd felt like in a shopping mall, whereas the animated helical staircase loading screen in Darkstone was enough for me to feel like I was going underground.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Opus131

Post by Opus131 »

Path of Exile is probably my current favored Diablo "clone". It looks kinda cheap graphically but that has to be expected from an indie game. From what i understand this thing was made by Diablo 2 veterans and i think this shows in the way the game seems to be designed to counter all the short comings of the traditional Diablo formula, or at least it tries, without really straying too much from it. Sort of like a Diablo 2 redux aimed at fixing all that was wrong with Diablo 2 from the perspective of someone who played that game to death.

Ho, and for a change, Path of Exile actually kinda looks like Diablo. I don't know what the hell Blizzard was thinking. Dark Souls looks more like Diablo than Diablo 3 actually does. The tone and atmosphere was one of the biggest selling points of this franchise, how do you bungle that up?
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

The Blizzard North guys have gotten the band back together, started talking about their game ("game"?) some, and showed off their prototype. They're Moonbeast Productions now.

The amount of positivity the few posters commenting on it is shocking. I'd feel like a dick telling someone that their baby is ugly, it's not their job to want to make a game that people want to play and then make them lots of money. If they want to play around and kill time, that's their prerogative.

But man does it look dreadful. I think on the many, many ways people have changed over the decades. The Vampire Survivor genre, which is also fundamentally Robotron+a slot machine, with tons of flashing lights... part of that appeal is that people have played Diablo games to death, and are very much equipped to take that 60 hour playthrough cycle and compress it way the hell down to 20 minutes. 20 minutes of leveling up, maxing out, then doing it all over from scratch. Like an arcade game.

... by god, why can't they at least go with a not-generic theme. A slasher movie theme would be perfect for a dark fantasy theme, if they wanted to stick with that. Creepy monsters and archetypes people could form an emotional attachment to. (Those streams of players roleplaying in character as the victim they're playing when Friday the 13th was alive were lots of fun. Anything where someone Chad'd it up as Chad Chaddington always cracked me up. Stealing the keys, running over the other counselors, ah. Good memories.)

Listening to them compare their theoretical game to Roblox is a bit shocking. "Yeah, instead of us making a game, maybe you guys can do it for us and we can take your money, somehow?" I don't get it man. I'd gasp out loud if I had any expectations of humanity. (Related: I just learned Squaresoft's NFT game/art project Symbiogenesis really exists (somehow) today???)

Hellgate London was extremely entertaining for what a glorious trainwreck it was. It at least looked kind of cool, and could have been a solid game if made by people who knew how video games work. This kusoge doesn't feel like it has any ambition at all, though. To say the devs are out of touch with the market seems deeply insufficient here. (Obviously trying to compete against Path of Exile 2 or anything else head to head without bringing something different to the table is futile.) Well, here's hoping they make a decent tire fire here. Or something that aspires to be as ok as Marvel Heroes was.

In the meantime, if you're looking for a way to kill time with a bunch of numbers and flashing lights, you can't do too badly with HoloCure. $0. Takes 5 seconds to download and install (literally move the game files to where you want them to be), 5 seconds to load the game and then you're just playing. None of that ten minute long AAA load screen nonsense.

It'll have a roguelike mode in the next version, coming around March.

... seriously some people don't even realize how burned out they are playing the same game with the same theme constantly. A cute as shit Diablo clone would be a massive breath of fresh air that a lot of grognards degenerating into mold could really use.