Radiant Silvergun (Switch) - Limited Run Games update

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
hamfighterx

Re: Radiant Silvergun (Switch) - Limited Run Games update

Post by hamfighterx »

jehu wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:00 pm Sumez, it's more the fact that once you insert the physical cart, the digital copy on your Switch will no longer boot - even if you take the physical cart out again.
You just have to completely delete the app and reinstall the download version. It’s not that hard.
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

jehu wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:52 am The version issue is so aggravating...

The OST is easy to access, though it is somewhat counterintuitive. Select 'Arcade' or 'Story' and you'll see three options: difficulty select, chaining style select, OST select. Change the OST to 'Arrange' and you'll hear the new tunes.

I like them a lot. Surprisingly layered and very energetic. Good shit.
Ahhh, that's... not where I would have thought to look. I usually just blow through that screen on the way to starting a new game. Now that I'm paying attention, has something changed with the availability of Ikaruga mode? I thought it wasn't available until you've cleared the game once, and I'm pretty sure I haven't done that yet on the Switch, but I still can select the option.

The arrange soundtrack is pretty good. I didn't go in with high expectations--the quality bar for chiptune arranges is not terribly high, especially considering how layered and "orchestral" the original soundtrack is. This one does a fairly good job of capturing the original feel, and I don't think it would seem out of place as the default soundtrack.

Was the arrange confirmed to be a cart exclusive? I was looking back at the announcement for the arrange version that LRG send and it didn't state the arrange is exclusive, but then again there's no mention of it on the eShop description, so...
Sumez wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:44 am The LRG release being a newer version than the one currently available digitally doesn't sound like much of an issue to me, and it especially doesn't sound like LRG's fault. I'd be more disappointed with the opposite.
"Shitting the bed" is definitely an overreaction.
Given that most mentions of limited print companies generally summon all kinds of Reddit-brain energy parroting stuff about Ponzi schemes and "interest-free loans," I thought it was a relatively restrained amount of hyperbole for the Internet--all the more so considering the entirely figurative nature of the phrase in the first place.

But I also I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a physical publisher to make sure their release of a title doesn't break the prior digital release, and to coordinate with the developers as necessary to make this happen--especially when you're looking at a year between orders closing and the finished product shipping. I think this same thing even happened with the previous LiveWire LRG releases, so it's not like it's unprecedented.
Ms. Tea wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:10 pm Also, I don't think selling your physical copy should lock you out of ever being able to buy and play a digital copy.
Tl;dr this is the most important point. Asking "why would you want to do that?" is never a reasonable response when a user is unable to operate a program in the way it is meant to be used, regardless of how much of an edge case it is. Likely scenarios aren't even that convoluted: I go on a trip and don't want to bring carts with me, I lend the cart to a friend, I decide to sell it down the line, and so on.
hamfighterx wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:55 pmYou just have to completely delete the app and reinstall the download version. It’s not that hard.
Nope. I deleted then re-downloaded the game, and it still won't start without an update that doesn't exist. In situations where people have run into similar problems with other titles, the only solution is a full factory reset. But either way, the problem would then still remain with using the cart.
Sengoku Strider wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:36 pm "Pre-Transit"

Aw yeah, here we go again.
If it makes you feel any better, the pre-Christmas mailing rush will mean it's going to take even longer! Wait, that's not better at all...
jehu

Post by jehu »

hamfighterx wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:55 pm
jehu wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:00 pm Sumez, it's more the fact that once you insert the physical cart, the digital copy on your Switch will no longer boot - even if you take the physical cart out again.
You just have to completely delete the app and reinstall the download version. It’s not that hard.
ITT: People who aren't experiencing a problem and don't understand it try to tone police those who do have the problem and are trying to discuss it.

Gaming community masterclass, truly.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

jehu wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:56 am
ITT: People who aren't experiencing a problem and don't understand it try to tone police those who do have the problem and are trying to discuss it.

Warp_Rattler wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:08 am ...all kinds of Reddit-brain energy parroting stuff
you mean like that?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

LRG actually sending stuff is only the first half of the ordeal. Waiting a month or two for that package to arrive is the second step :P
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

jehu wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:56 am
hamfighterx wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:55 pm

I made a mistake because I just did this a couple weeks ago with another Live Wire release, Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu - in that case it does work to delete the app and reinstall the download version. But in that case, they're all v1.0.4: US download version, LRG version, and Japanese Super Deluxe Games retail release are consistent in version numbering, despite the SDG version having the same kind of addition of in-game chiptune soundtrack that is not on any other version. Presumably, Espgaluda 2's soon to be released Japan/Super Deluxe retail version may be the same situation, but now I guess that's a risk and we'll have to see upon release in less than a week (November 30).

Until Warp_Rattler provided a later reply to my post to confirm (thanks for that!), it was not clear that they anyone had attempted deleting the entire app for RSG. These posts (before mine) certainly did not say that - added bold for emphasis:
Warp_Rattler wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:34 pm PSA for folks who bought the digital version and also have the physical incoming: LRG once again shat the bed in coordinating with the developers to ensure that the game has the same version number in the digital and physical releases. Digital is at 1.1.8, physical is 1.1.9. Putting the cart in your Switch will register that 1.1.9 is the latest version of the game. If you take the cart out and attempt to play the digital version, the Switch will attempt to update it to ver. 1.1.9, which does not currently exist for the game as purchased from the eShop. You'll be stuck in a loop where you're prompted to update the software and then will be notified that there's no update available, and the digital version will not launch. The game works fine if you play it from the cart.
jehu wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:00 pmSumez, it's more the fact that once you insert the physical cart, the digital copy on your Switch will no longer boot - even if you take the physical cart out again.
Anyhow, thank you, Warp_Rattler, for clarifying. You're right - for RSG, deleting the app (including going in and separately deleting the save data too) does not allow you to reinstall the download version. I get the same update version prompt that goes nowhere and won't boot the download version.

I'm seeing different version numbers though... I am getting US download version as 1.0.5 (including on an absolutely fresh install on a separate Switch than my main), and the LRG cart is 1.0.6.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Also, this is absolutely a Live Wire issue, not a LRG issue. LRG just uses the version that their client (in this case Live Wire) provides. LRG got version 1.0.6 from Live Wire, and that's what went on their cart.

No way is it LRG's fault that Live Wire didn't also update their download version of the same game, which LRG has nothing to do with, to 1.0.6.
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

hamfighterx wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:20 pm Until Warp_Rattler provided a later reply to my post to confirm (thanks for that!), it was not clear that they anyone had attempted deleting the entire app for RSG. These posts (before mine) certainly did not say that - added bold for emphasis:
I didn't actually try this when I first posted about the issue; for other times I had read about (and am now having a hell of a time digging back up) where people have experienced similar version mismatches, simply deleting the application didn't work (as well as in similar situations, such as the infamous update for Cotton Reboot that patched out the original multi-language support & couldn't be downgraded). In these cases, it was reported that the only way to get the system to forget the most recent version was to factory reset the Switch.

But! In the interest of scientific rigor, I decided to give it a shot after seeing your post. I figured that re-downloading a 666MB title wouldn't take too long, and I was interested to see if the arrange soundtrack was exclusive to the cart version since I hadn't been paying attention to where the menu item for that option was previously. But yeah, it was a no-go: still at software ver. 1.0.5, and trying to launch it results in the same update prompt loop.
I'm seeing different version numbers though... I am getting US download version as 1.0.5 (including on an absolutely fresh install on a separate Switch than my main), and the LRG cart is 1.0.6.
That was my mistake. Your numbers are correct--I'm not sure where I pulled the 1.1.8/1.1.9 from. I may have gotten it mixed up with the build number which shows on the title screen, and is something like 119 IIRC.

I thought I had read somewhere that later releases of a download title with a different publisher were required to have a different version number even if the content is the same (which would put the onus on the physical publisher to coordinate version numbers or release IDs that don't conflict, assuming they cared), but I am absolutely unable to find my way back to the relevant sources. In any case, I've been a good Internet citizen and reported the issue with both LRG and LiveWire and asked if an update is in the works. Hopefully that gets something moving down the pipeline, though it seems like LiveWire might be busy enough working through RSG Steam issues at the moment.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Warp_Rattler wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:15 amIn any case, I've been a good Internet citizen and reported the issue with both LRG and LiveWire and asked if an update is in the works. Hopefully that gets something moving down the pipeline, though it seems like LiveWire might be busy enough working through RSG Steam issues at the moment.
Good stuff, thanks for reporting to the companies and for the helpful heads up here. Apologies for my initial mistake, happy to back you up with my own independent confirmation you were right on for this one.

It's interesting to me that Live Wire releases in particular appear to be a bit of a mess. Noticeably long delays for physicals of all of RSG, DDP Daifukkatsu, and Espgaluda II (both the LRG releases and the Japanese Super Deluxe Galuda II and DFK), which appear to come down mostly due to the special in-game soundtracks for the physical releases. LRG's only other physical release of a Live Wire title, Ender Lilies, also took quite a long time to ship. Issues with the RSG Steam port. Perhaps LRG has some fault here too, but with Live Wire being a common denominator, it makes me feel that they are likely a key contributor to any of the sloppiness we're seeing with these releases.
zyloj

Post by zyloj »

I had the same problem with LRG Esp Galuda II (different version number) and I contacted with Live wire and LRG, but they didn't seem very interested in solving the issue. Finally I sold the LRG edition and I reserved the Super Deluxe edition. Do Don Pachi Daifukatsu Super Deluxe edition allows to use digital and physical version without problems (both are he same version, 1.0.4), so I'm sure that Esp galuda II and Radiant Silvergun Japanese editions will not have any problems.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Thank goodness, my copy showed up. At 8pm on a rainy Friday night, no less.
Sengoku Strider

This is my first time playing the game in HD, and I'm pretty happy with it so far. I spent an hour or two with it last night, the simple models translate well to the smaller portable screen, in fact it might look best there. It handles well on the joycon too, though only having 4 face buttons isn't ideal.

It's only hitting me now since I haven't really played my Saturn copy of this since before getting So-Q, but have the devs ever commented on being influenced by Sokyugurentai? Part of it is they're both vibing on Evangelion (though Raizing deny this and claim they were too busy to watch it), and part of it is they're 4:3 early poly vert shmups on the same arcade hardware. And I'm sure a LOT of it is that Sakimoto did the music on both, using whatever mid-90s Japanese rompler he used on everything back then. But I keep having flashbacks to bosses, moments, emotional beats etc. from So-Q. And most of all the homing weapon seems like a direct nod.
Sengoku Strider

zyloj wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:42 am I had the same problem with LRG Esp Galuda II (different version number) and I contacted with Live wire and LRG, but they didn't seem very interested in solving the issue. Finally I sold the LRG edition and I reserved the Super Deluxe edition. Do Don Pachi Daifukatsu Super Deluxe edition allows to use digital and physical version without problems (both are he same version, 1.0.4), so I'm sure that Esp galuda II and Radiant Silvergun Japanese editions will not have any problems.
Looking at the credits, for the Switch version it lists a producer, a director, a programmer and a bunch of 'special thanks.' That to me suggests one guy did most of the grunt work, one guy oversaw things for the various ports, and one guy collected the cheques. They probably don't have a lot of spare manpower to throw at putting out small fires like this.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

zyloj wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:42 am I had the same problem with LRG Esp Galuda II (different version number) and I contacted with Live wire and LRG, but they didn't seem very interested in solving the issue. Finally I sold the LRG edition and I reserved the Super Deluxe edition. Do Don Pachi Daifukatsu Super Deluxe edition allows to use digital and physical version without problems (both are he same version, 1.0.4), so I'm sure that Esp galuda II and Radiant Silvergun Japanese editions will not have any problems.
Just received the Super Deluxe version of Espgaluda II today and did some testing with two Switches, and the LRG and download (US eShop) versions. Posting in the Espgaluda II Switch topic as well, but detailed version here since it's directly related to the recent discussion about Live Wire's Radiant Silvergun physical release causing the same kinds of issues:

1. US download version only - v1.0.5. Plays fine.

2. Insert Super Deluxe (JPN) cart
- App shows v1.0.8.
- The cart plays fine, arrange soundtrack is on cart (menu is a little confusing, it's the first set of options and not the in-game ones, Arrange2 is the chiptune soundtrack).
- Close the application and remove the cart, the app icon briefly flashes and version is shown as 1.0.5, download version still boots fine.

3. Insert Limited Run cart (which had never been in this system before)
- App shows v1.0.7.
- Upon trying to start the game... application needs update, it goes to find the update and fails, and continues in this download failed loop and will not boot. This is WITH the LRG cart in the system. Same thing that happened with the LRG version of Radiant Silvergun locking you out of using the download version.
- Remove the cart, download version also has update issue and will not boot.
- Deleting the game entirely from the Switch storage menu, then redownloading the download version: download version will not load.
- Inserting the Super Deluxe cart - shows v1.0.8 in the application and will boot.

Then on a completely different Nintendo Switch that had never had any copy of Espgaluda II installed:
4. Inserted LRG version - v1.0.7, boots fine
5. Inserted SDX version - v1.08, boots fine. But now the LRG version no longer boots; it's the expected infinite "needs update" loop.

TL;DR:
Once the SDX Espgaluda II cart has been in your system: the LRG cart will no longer boot (but the download version still will)
Once the LRG Espgaluda II cart has been in your system: the download version will no longer boot (same thing with LRG's Radiant Silvergun release and the download version)
Once the SDX *and* LRG carts have been in your system: the only version of the game that will boot is the SDX cart
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Super Deluxe Games is doing a Japan retail version of Radiant Silvergun. June 20, 2024 release. There's a standard edition and a deluxe Collector's Box with several items: 2-disc soundtrack, metal ship model, art cards, a mini-magazine, fancy box. Not all that shocking, given the Live Wire/LRG releationshp and Super Deluxe being partly owned by LRG.

Not sure when this was announced, today was the first time I saw it on amazon.jp. Link: https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/B0CPF4KWRP
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

And to post a third straight time...

Good news, Live Wire has pushed out an update to the download version of RSG to fix the infinite update loop problem. Download version now playable without issue even if you've used the LRG cart. The update only seems to have fixed the technical issue, does not add chiptune arrange soundtrack to the eShop version. That still needs a cart.

They also released a patch to make the same fix for Espgaluda II.
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

Wasn't sure whether I should confirm here or in the Mushi/DFK/ESP2 thread (since the similar issue was raised for the Super Deluxe releases), but yes, the update means the DL version works again. I got a reply from LRG earlier in the week that my report of the problem was being investigated; never heard back from Live Wire (which may have been a consequence of my Japanese composition), but it looks like error reports got to them somehow.

I'm still not sure why this issue happened in the first place, especially given that they had pushed a patch for essentially the same issue for the Japanese release of DFK back in October. I'm also confused as to how both editions can be at the same version number now with the cart having the additional arrange soundtrack. I thought that could be the one reason for the version mismatch to begin with: additional content on the cart necessitates a version increment from the download, but that's apparently not what the issue was?

In any case, I'm glad for the resolution, and I'll be a bit more wary about double-dipping on Live Wire titles in the future. Or now knowing that they seem to generally get LRG/SDX physical releases, I'll just wait for those.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Warp_Rattler wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:08 pmWasn't sure whether I should confirm here or in the Mushi/DFK/ESP2 thread (since the similar issue was raised for the Super Deluxe releases), but yes, the update means the DL version works again. I got a reply from LRG earlier in the week that my report of the problem was being investigated; never heard back from Live Wire (which may have been a consequence of my Japanese composition), but it looks like error reports got to them somehow.
May very well be your report that spurred some action, so thank you!!!! And apologies for identifying the wrong person in the other thread, corrected that now (sorry, Savage_Pencil!) - I was thinking of your reports to LRG and Live Wire.