Path of Exile: It's a free Diablo Clone, play it nao already

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Herr Schatten

Re: Path of Exile: It's a free Diablo Clone, play it nao alr

Post by Herr Schatten »

Just read this announcement:

"0.11.0 is still on track. If you have friends that stopped playing PoE, let them know that June is going to be an awesome month and that they should clear their schedules."

Could this hint at act 4 being deployed?
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Been playing this for the last couple weeks, and it's just great.
Totally needed after Diablo3, boy what a failure that game was. Torchlight 2 was a bit better, but this game rules over them all.

I'm levelling a Witch right now, sitting at 32 atm. Can't decide if I want to be a summoner Witch or a cold/fire Nuker.
I love the massive skill tree, the item modding/upgrading, the art style (nice and gritty!) and even the voice-acting.

If anyone wants to party up, my character's name is OptionOne. I'm usually online around midnight PST.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

The final areas and boss of Act 3 are the next content thing. Unless they were fooling us with trickery, they've said that's coming toward the end of the year.

My assumption is the Damage System Redesign alongside with a stat tree refurbish, possibly a rebalance of the three base stats, and maybe a bukakke of new skills. (They kept up the "one new skill a week" initiative for about one month total this entire year, so, they're lagging...)
PSX Vita: Slightly more popular than Color TV-Game system. Almost as successful as the Wii U.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFAPw_F3jyg
Act 5 announced.
Act 6 announced.
Act 7 announced.
Act 8 announced.
Act 9 announced.
Act 10 announced.

It's happening, again.

Time to dig this thread out of its grave.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Jesus Christ...six new acts? Who does that?

I guess I'll be playing Path of Exile again.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

In a way that feels a bit nostalgic, like the game's ready to be finished up and sunset. I know I'm all out of groundslams and split arrows. Storm Call never was a good replacement for Meteor.

Still, it puts Blizzard to shame by several miles. Hell, the Titan Quest guys did more for the Diablo anniversary than they did.
Jesus Christ...six new acts? Who does that?
Someone who wants people to come back and play their old vidya game again. Someone wants to create a perfect Diablo clone.

(Also it only looks like one new act and five refurbished acts.)
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

BryanM wrote: Still, it puts Blizzard to shame by several miles. Hell, the Titan Quest guys did more for the Diablo anniversary than they did.
Blizzard: "here's the necromancer class everyone always wanted as DLC. gib10buxpls"
Meanwhile at GGG...
(Also it only looks like one new act and five refurbished acts.)
Yea pretty much.
Though playing through four acts and then again in an arrange mode with two new acts does sound more appealing than playing through the same four acts thrice.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
BryanM

Re: Path of Exile: It's a free Diablo Clone, play it nao already

Post by BryanM »

Because of the recent Exilecon and the announcement that Path of Exile 2 was a billion years away, I felt like it was finally time to come back for one last hurrah and try out these six brand new acts everyone has been talking about.

..... which went very very poorly. I installed and loaded up the game. "Why does everything look potato????" Fiddled with the graphics options to get them back to what I was used to seeing. Which got me down to... 4 frames per second. Not on one of their fancy later boss fights where they keep jacking up the system requirements by 3x what they used to be, no. 4 frames per second... on the fucking beach.

It turns out they decided to overhaul the graphics engine to coincide with the Exilcon patch. We're assuming it's the Path of Exile 2 engine, that they want to consolidate their source. And it's apparently been dogshit for most people. I think I might give it another try... in a year or two. See if they fix their shit.

I was amused by this Asmongold clip comparing Path of Exile 2 to Diablo 4. Observing these things has been much more fun than playing them has become.

For Diablo 4, the concept of "demonic" and "angelic power" was what killed any inklings of desire to ever play the thing, some day. It only took one second to see those were absolutely horrible names for stat affixes. To entertain them as a thought would be bad enough. For that thought to exist long enough to make it to a public blog post for players to read with their greedy eyes? It was clear they had no idea what they were doing. (The begging for "feedback" they wouldn't listen to wasn't encouraging either, in hindsight. You're supposed to probe those things with these things called in-client surveys, from actual players, after a game exists. My god do MiHoYo love their in-game surveys...)

Going back to actually read the thing instead of giving it a quick skim, taking in things from osmosis, and moving on to give my attention to things I care about instead.... I'm kind of amazed it took them 2,000+ man hours in meetings to come up with the idea that equipment should make up a substantial portion of a character's power level.

It's kind of a death of imagination that bigger numbers are the only thing that matters. What really sticks in the mind are those items that are transformative to how you play the game. The Gull dagger from Diablo 2, is an example. There's a Barbarian skill called Find Item that lets you riffle through corpses for another shot of getting an item. A Barbarian could slap a couple of these daggers into their hands, get a huge boost to Magic Find%, and go around pumping corpses of monsters other people killed like they were treasure chests. The so-called "horker" build. Was this efficient? Was it going to make you untold riches? .... no, probably not. But there were people who did it, because it was something else to do.

Genshin Impact characters that aren't just 100% about combat have made me really appreciate this kind of thing more. Walking on water, being able to double jump in the sky, being an efficient lumberjack at smacking trees... bigger damage numbers are probably the least interesting feature you could add to a character.

But the easiest from a developer's perspective, of course.

(Also I've come to totally hate the tiny item icons used in the Diablo 3 inventory. That's really one of the things Diablo 1 got 100% right and never should have been changed. The art made these things look big, powerful, and cool. You could differentiate item types easier by their shape. I understand they want to avoid inventory tabs because their players are all walruses with ground beef for brains.. They still could have made the inventory take up an entire half of a screen, like it deserves. Instead of 1/6th of the screen. Diablo 2 mods where they give give you gigantic inventory space are a thing of beauty. Just pure, simple, visceral joy.

Not that a single person currently working at Microsoft-Blizzard ever played one of those mods, mind you.)