Performance Variability

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
thaIllsburyFlowboy

Performance Variability

Post by thaIllsburyFlowboy »

Hello all,

Practice makes perfect, and indeed my scores usually strongly correlate with time spent on a game. That being said, I have "on" and "off" days to the extreme. Is this common, and is there any way to maximize one's high score performance beyond sleep, a healthy breakfast, and etc.?
ATTRACTS

Re: Performance Variability

Post by ATTRACTS »

I actually find that taking long breaks from a game after putting tons of time into them always improves my performance. I know personally that I almost always hit a wall with shmups I put tons of time into. If there's an area that specifically gives me problems, the more I practice past a certain threshold, the worse I play and then the frustrations kill the joy...comically wasting 3 lives and 2 extends over and over in that same spot. If I put the game away for a few days/weeks, I almost always come back and get past the parts that previously were blocking progress easily. As a musician it reminds me a lot of some of the lessons my old drum teacher taught me...."you can practice and practice so much that you forget to "play/feel/respond"", becoming so wrapped up in a single thing or part that you start to overanalyze/tense up...Shumps are a mix of repetition/learning AND finding the flow, being loose enough to react and stay cool. Breaks sorta recharge that flow battery.