New Pocky & Rocky 2021 Announcement Trailer (Tengo Project )

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Sumez

Re: New Pocky & Rocky 2021 Announcement Trailer (Tengo Proje

Post by Sumez »

Oh man, had me hoping for something new for half a second there
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Finally! :)

Looking forward to it.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Let's see how fast PC modders can get an uncensor patch going. :lol:
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Kinda unexpected, as Wild Guns made it to PC but Ninja Saviors didn't; I'd figured they just weren't planning on sending anything else Steamward. Good news in any event, but I would be curious to know the circumstances behind the back-and-forth in this area.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Oh man, how much I love this game. I bought and enjoyed all 3 remakes, but this one hit the best. It's too bad the team will probably never do another game.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Sumez wrote:Oh man, had me hoping for something new for half a second there
Slow it down there, half of us don't even have this one yet!
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

BulletMagnet wrote:Kinda unexpected, as Wild Guns made it to PC but Ninja Saviors didn't; I'd figured they just weren't planning on sending anything else Steamward. Good news in any event, but I would be curious to know the circumstances behind the back-and-forth in this area.
Much like it was with the original SFC games, WG and Kiki Kaikai are Natsume games with a Taito license in the latter case, Ninja Warriors is a Taito game with Natsume development, so it's ultimately in Taito's hands if a Windows version of NWOA gets released. Taito's doing regarding Windows is always unpredictable, but I'd bet we'll end up seeing Once Again on Steam at some point.

Anyway, great news. Hopefully the 2P arcade mode is available right from the beginning, or, even better, they build an actual arcade mode for this release. Highly unlikely, but I'm sure many asked for it.

Gamer707b wrote:Oh man, how much I love this game. I bought and enjoyed all 3 remakes, but this one hit the best. It's too bad the team will probably never do another game.
They actually announced the fourth game a bit ago, and hinted at a Kage remake in "16bit taste".
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Bassa-Bassa wrote: Anyway, great news. Hopefully the 2P arcade mode is available right from the beginning, or, even better, they build an actual arcade mode for this release. Highly unlikely, but I'm sure many asked for it.
It is, or has been, accessible with a cheat code made public some time ago. Now the folks that couldn't cut out some of their visual novel time to 20cc will be able to jump into the game right away! :wink:
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:
BulletMagnet wrote:Kinda unexpected, as Wild Guns made it to PC but Ninja Saviors didn't; I'd figured they just weren't planning on sending anything else Steamward. Good news in any event, but I would be curious to know the circumstances behind the back-and-forth in this area.
Much like it was with the original SFC games, WG and Kiki Kaikai are Natsume games with a Taito license in the latter case, Ninja Warriors is a Taito game with Natsume development, so it's ultimately in Taito's hands if a Windows version of NWOA gets released. Taito's doing regarding Windows is always unpredictable, but I'd bet we'll end up seeing Once Again on Steam at some point.

Anyway, great news. Hopefully the 2P arcade mode is available right from the beginning, or, even better, they build an actual arcade mode for this release. Highly unlikely, but I'm sure many asked for it.

Gamer707b wrote:Oh man, how much I love this game. I bought and enjoyed all 3 remakes, but this one hit the best. It's too bad the team will probably never do another game.
They actually announced the fourth game a bit ago, and hinted at a Kage remake in "16bit taste".
WHAT!!?? Source?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Sengoku Strider wrote: Slow it down there, half of us don't even have this one yet!
It's been out for a year, get to it :P It's a great game!
Bassa-Bassa wrote:or, even better, they build an actual arcade mode for this release. Highly unlikely, but I'm sure many asked for it.
Explain to me exactly what you want from an "arcade mode" that the game as it already is, is supposedly missing? A timer counting down at all times?

The game is a straight-forward linear experience that takes around 40-60 minutes to play through in a single session, and if you run out of lives you get a Game Over, and when you win you get an end-of-game bonus based on how many lives you had left, and get to record your score on a high score list.
It's literally the only way to play the game.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Gamer707b wrote:
Bassa-Bassa wrote:

WHAT!!?? Source?
Fortunately some people still keep track clean a tidy, otherwise I'm not sure I could have found it today:

https://www.gamespark.jp/article/2022/09/16/122475.html

Sumez wrote:
Bassa-Bassa wrote:or, even better, they build an actual arcade mode for this release. Highly unlikely, but I'm sure many asked for it.
Explain to me exactly what you want from an "arcade mode" that the game as it already is, is supposedly missing? A timer counting down at all times?

The game is a straight-forward linear experience that takes around 40-60 minutes to play through in a single session, and if you run out of lives you get a Game Over, and when you win you get an end-of-game bonus based on how many lives you had left, and get to record your score on a high score list.
It's literally the only way to play the game.
Well, ok, so let us pick free mode and 2P free mode from the get-go, just that. An arcade-style timer would be a very nice addition, but the SFC didn't have it, so whatever. I'd prefer less extra lives to keep a challenge as good as the original, the ones in story mode at least sounded like a joke.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:
Gamer707b wrote:WHAT!!?? Source?
Fortunately some people still keep track clean a tidy, otherwise I'm not sure I could have found it today:

https://www.gamespark.jp/article/2022/09/16/122475.html
Excellent, thanks for posting that - I'd heard about it, but couldn't find anything on Natsume/Tengo's twitter or website. Was worried it was just rumours.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I'm checking and seems that's the only press site that mentioned it.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

EmperorIng wrote:It is, or has been, accessible with a cheat code made public some time ago. Now the folks that couldn't cut out some of their visual novel time to 20cc will be able to jump into the game right away! :wink:
Its multiplayer mode shouldn't be locked behind an unlock. The issue is that if you buy the game expecting to be able to play it immediately with a friend, as with most Natsume games ever made (keeping in mind it touts co-op as a feature and both SFC/SNES games had it available from the start, albeit the second game made co-op more of a P1 + guest thing), you won't be able to play co-op unless one of you beats it solo or is aware of the now public code. Regardless of your attitude towards it, it's a bad design decision.

I would also like to see Wild Guns Reloaded get patched to fix its also absurd multiplayer, that locks the levels you play into how many players you have. You can only play the Easy route with 2 players, you can only play the Normal route with 3 players, and you can only play the Hard route with 4 players. It's possible to play Normal and Hard with 2 players, but only if you plug in extra controllers, then let the dummy players die off. Once you run out of stocked lives they'll gameover and won't respawn unless you press start with them. This forces you to start multiplayer runs with 0 extra lives stocked as a workaround. This is all insane of course and Natsume's otherwise quality remakes shouldn't have these bizarre quirks.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I never said it was a good decision, I said people can finally stop bitching about it.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Sumez wrote:
Sengoku Strider wrote: Slow it down there, half of us don't even have this one yet!
It's been out for a year, get to it :P It's a great game!
Funnily enough I actually was at the store on Tuesday asking if they had it, but EB/GS/Whatever it's called now didn't carry it. I think it's on Amazon but I try to avoid them whenever possible.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

EmperorIng wrote:I never said it was a good decision, I said people can finally stop bitching about it.
Clearly they don't lol! It's such a fucking weird thing to complain about, given it's practically completely inconsequential. And it seems the only people who even have an issue with it are the people who haven't played the game anyway.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Are you saying you need to play a game to know that locking the natural mode behind an 80's style cheat code is an unnecessary annoyance?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'm saying you need to play the game before you start making silly assumptions about what the "natural mode" is.
I don't see anyone complaining that you need to beat every boss in Cuphead to unlock expert mode, even though that's a much bigger oversight.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Forcing you to finish a game on an easy mode in order to unlock more normal difficulty levels (or 'expert', if they want to call it like that these days) will always get a huge complaint from me. It's nonsense from a design standpoint because they're spoiling the game's stages and ending which should serve as a motivation for the actually challenging modes. And besides, what's the point? Artificially enlarging the game's life?

As for 'natural', we just need to check the game this is based on. I forgot to ask for another thing, btw, and it's likely the most important one - a good arcade mode should also balance a bit every selectable character, which doesn't seem to happen here in the free mode. My silly assumptions were mostly made after your own surely-non-silly descriptions, if I recall.
Augemitbutter

Re: New Pocky & Rocky 2021 Announcement Trailer (Tengo Project )

Post by Augemitbutter »

Nice. Support this game. It's good for your soul!
Steven

Post by Steven »

This game is good. Buy it and play it.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I had no idea there wasn't a PC release until now?
Yes, if you don't already have this game by all means get it. The best new topdown run n gun I've played in forever.
Steven

Post by Steven »

PC version released a while ago. Might have been earlier this year, but I forgot. Xbox version is new, though, and actually quite surprising. Many Japanese Xbox games don't actually get released in Japan (see pretty much all of Sega's games and Raiden IV x Mikado for examples; those don't exist on Xbox here), so I wonder if this will.
shirorm

Post by shirorm »

The shop's page says the game is for Xbox One too, but it's not compatible with the older console.
Strange.
I have the XBSeriesX too, but why declare something untrue in the game description?