M2 ShotTriggers DDP Daioujou Rinne Tensei

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: M2 ShotTriggers DDP Daioujou Rinne Tensei

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

How's the gameplay of DDP-DOJ-BL on the Switch? I know with an eprom hack job, high score saving with the on-board Varta battery is real with a PGM powered DDP-DOJ-WL/BL pcb.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I got my Switch copy. For some reason Amazon shipped the PS4 and Switch versions separately even though I ordered them together.

It has a fucking patch on day 1. I hate the modern gaming industry's ship first fix broken shit later mentality so much.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

XtraSmiley wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:56 pm Amazon Japan still hasn't shipped mine yet. Anyone else?
They've charged me but they haven't shipped them yet.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Well, I beat the Shotia arrange thing on my first time playing it. It's okay, I guess. Judging by the fact that I died like 12 times and Hibachi still showed up even though it was loop 1, it may not loop.

BTW is the menu super fucked up and not responsive upon booting the game on Switch for anyone else or just me?
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

My Amazon regular edition for Switch just shipped; looking forward to joining everyone who's already playing once it gets here!
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

Koa Zo wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:44 am
Triple Lei wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:17 am Just got an updated invoice from CD Japan and I had to pay an extra ¥1,820 ($12.91).
Also just got an updated invoice from CD Japan.
DHL shipping to the USA (including a handful of music CDs) went from ¥3800 to ¥6300. ¥2500 increase
I know USPS rates are going up again soon. Did overseas rates from Japanese carriers also take a big jump?
Just got my shipping notice from CD Japan but there was no extra shipping shakedown. DHL Express as well, but I just ordered the Switch standard edition. Maybe DHL raised rates above a certain weight class or value tier or something?

I did preorder a vinyl record from them last year and got an invoice for an additional ¥2000 or so before they would ship it (EMS that time), for a total of something like ¥6200 on shipping fees. I think in that case they had just been going on estimates for shipping costs for the preorder and the actual item ended up being a good bit heftier when it arrived (and EMS seems really strict on the different weight tiers). Couldn't complain too much because the exchange rate and the fact that the record arrived in immaculate condition from overseas (which can't always be said of ones that merely have to cross part of this country) made it worth the cost, but it was still irritating to have to fork over extra after I thought the transaction was finalized.

But anyway, DHL puts my arrival on Monday the 11th. I had hoped to dive into it over the weekend, but I guess I'll just live vicariously through others' experiences until then.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I wonder why there is no custom mode. I was looking forward to seeing what options there are, but then I launched the game, immediately noticed the menu is fucked up, and then saw that there is no custom mode. Disappointing. Pretty sure Aleste didn't have custom mode either, but I think most of the rest of them have custom mode. Even Horror Story and Wardner have custom mode-type stuff, so its absence here is weird.

Go play Horror Story, BTW. It's fucking awesome.
miwa

Post by miwa »

Waiting for my Switch LE from Amazon Japan which is supposed to arrive early next week.
While I wish it'd arrive sooner, I do appreciate Amazon Japan informing me today that they've dropped the price for the LE from €70 to €56 and will apply this discount to my order (LE at play-asia is still around €102).

Also, M2 will go live in a few minutes and it seems they'll talk about their ShotTriggers plans for 2024.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgCEDt__RjA
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Steven wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:45 am Well, I beat the Shotia arrange thing on my first time playing it. It's okay, I guess. Judging by the fact that I died like 12 times and Hibachi still showed up even though it was loop 1, it may not loop.

BTW is the menu super fucked up and not responsive upon booting the game on Switch for anyone else or just me?
I guess it works somehow though if you cleared a mode? I was going to order this on Switch now Play Asia have it back in stock, but less sure if it's knackered on day one :( As long as it's playable without the day 1 patch I'll pull the trigger on it
Steven

Post by Steven »

TransatlanticFoe wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:54 am
Steven wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:45 am Well, I beat the Shotia arrange thing on my first time playing it. It's okay, I guess. Judging by the fact that I died like 12 times and Hibachi still showed up even though it was loop 1, it may not loop.

I guess it works somehow though if you cleared a mode? I was going to order this on Switch now Play Asia have it back in stock, but less sure if it's knackered on day one :( As long as it's playable without the day 1 patch I'll pull the trigger on it
I checked M2's website to see the patch notes and it looks like there is some missing music and stuff that they patched in, but it should work without the patch.

PS4 LE finally showed up. The box is really thin, unlike the Aleste Collection LE. Time to see if the menus are as fucked on PS4 as they are on Switch, and also to see if anyone has killed Hibachi and set a new world record high score yet. Given the fervour that people have for this game for some reason, I'll be very disappointed if nobody has killed Hibachi yet.
Last edited by Steven on Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

How can I view the 'picture' in Arcade Osari? I want to check my progress.
And, is there a reason the hitbox indicator isn't available in BL and DDP3?
Steven

Post by Steven »

Well WTF? Nobody has killed Hibachi yet on PS4 either, although one person has gotten to 2-5 boss. I am disappointed.

At least the PS4 version's menus aren't weird.
davyK

Post by davyK »

Amiami gave contacted me to pay for my preordered copy.

:D
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Amazon JPN order of the Switch and PS4 versions shipped and should be here Monday, can not wait.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Steven wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:08 am I wonder why there is no custom mode… Pretty sure Aleste didn't have custom mode either, but I think most of the rest of them have custom mode.
Just an entire new game with GG Aleste 3. 😜
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Steven wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:56 pm Well WTF? Nobody has killed Hibachi yet on PS4 either, although one person has gotten to 2-5 boss. I am disappointed.

At least the PS4 version's menus aren't weird.
It looks like players are beating Hibachi on PS4. https://twitter.com/ifc_srh/status/1732745354276458780
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Steven wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:00 am
TransatlanticFoe wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:54 am

I checked M2's website to see the patch notes and it looks like there is some missing music and stuff that they patched in, but it should work without the patch.

PS4 LE finally showed up. The box is really thin, unlike the Aleste Collection LE. Time to see if the menus are as fucked on PS4 as they are on Switch, and also to see if anyone has killed Hibachi and set a new world record high score yet. Given the fervour that people have for this game for some reason, I'll be very disappointed if nobody has killed Hibachi yet.
Grand, thank you! Been holding off Zero Fire until I had a long enough delivery window so this has timed itself rather nicely
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

hamfighterx wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:18 pm
Fingolfin wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:51 pm Currently have White Label A Lainyan/Leinyan high score of 15552010! :mrgreen: 1-3 Area 2

Won’t last even a coupla hours but had to post.
Hehe, congrats! Love that feeling when you are there in the first few hours of a niche Japanese release when most of Japan is asleep (aka, the only time I have a chance of showing up on the top 50 of any leaderboard).

Today I got a trophy that "0.0%" of players had lol. Pays to get in early!
Thanks hamfighterx!

Totally ridiculous :D
I’ve practiced first 3 stages of Daioujou more than any other STG by a huge margin but poor fine motor skills make training central nervous system and creating that good muscle memory take forever on this end.

Still on top 10 @ #6 for Type A Leinyan with bumped up high of 18+ million…though I’m sure not for long. :P

I’d imagine by end of the weekend lots of 1-Alls, plenty o’ folks into second loop and a bunch of 2-Alls to boot!

@ Steven
Can definitely imagine some WRs getting threatened too at some point. Might take a week though! 8)

Was completely ecstatic yesterday re: Rinne Tensei‘s clarity & contrast — and did double check against all other M2 STGs before posting those wigged out praises upon M2.

Admittedly was jacked up on Daioujou yesterday so bias was at play but did consider all the M2 STGs — spent about an hour firing up each and playing half a stage — before saying Rinne Tensei looks the best Daioujou vs both 360 and MAME and also best M2 STG “visibility” vs everything since Garegga 2016. All of M2s STGs look gorgeous but still feel that Rinne Tensei is exceptional; not surprisingly Ketsui looked the second best when looking at all for clarity and contrast. And next would probably be Ray’z — lots of finely tuned contrast and nuanced lighting there. Again will restate Daioujou’s palette is huge part of why it seems so magnificently clear in Rinne Tensei. Completely subjective.

A bit more down to Earth today and will again check against all the M2 STGs w/ regards to clarity and contrast and resultant enhanced visibility, but really interested to see what other folks — especially expert players and CAVE veterans* — think about the Rinne Tensei graphics and visibility.

For example how Rinne Tensei’s quite different vs 360 and MAME while playing stage 3 almost experience(d) something like vertigo — feeling the height/altitude so viscerally. :mrgreen: Good stuff!
(not the vertigo but sense of height)

* survivors of the great CAVE wars from 1995-2012
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Fingolfin wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:30 pmvs both 360 and MAME
Mame is totally configurable, though. You can get it to display the game even at its native resolution on a CRT.
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

Right
Fingolfin wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:51 pmrecognizing various settings/configs/output etc differences in contrasting DDP Daioujou Rinne Tensei vs Daioujou WL & BL 360 vs MAME it’s still still easy to say this looks so much superior!!
MAME and Daioujou MAME specifically look great on my end — my PC’s plenty powerful enough to make the most of MAME but still considering all of this Rinne Tensei looks much much better than MAME on my setup w/ good Asus monitor: clarity and contrast give much greater visibility — M2’s graphics engine/code convey great deal of attention to subtleties of lighting, etc that to my eyes looks like “greater depth of field” or something like that.

“I defer to others who play pcb Daioujou but this just looks so fucking amazing vs Xbox 360 or MAME — recognizing various settings/configs/output etc differences in contrasting DDP Daioujou Rinne Tensei vs Daioujou WL & BL 360 vs MAME it’s still easy to say this looks so much superior!!“ same post as above page 11 yesterday

Highly subjective comments but on my system/setups with properly configured MAME Rinne Tensei looks better.

FWIW I play with reading glasses on for maxing magnification at 3 feet away from screen. Comments are just how I see it. I’ve been playing Daioujou for about 6 years that way via 360 and MAME.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

properly configured MAME
You'd need to clarify first if you're using some kind of CRT emulation (and your display's resolution) to know what that means. That was always M2's weakness, so it'd be great news if they have been improving in this area, in particular when the source material used such an odd resolution mode.
Fingolfin wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:11 pm I’ve been playing Daioujou for about 6 years that way via 360 and MAME.
A more more important matter would be how accurate is Mame currently regarding slowdowns, as it isn't a CV1000 title. Maybe you can also tell us how different the M2 version feels against Mame, if you've been playing it for so long.
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

Bassa-Bassa wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:23 pm
properly configured MAME
You'd need to clarify first if you're using some kind of CRT emulation (and your display's resolution) to know what that means. That was always M2's weakness, so it'd be great news if they have been improving in this area, in particular when the source material used such an odd resolution mode.
Fingolfin wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:11 pm I’ve been playing Daioujou for about 6 years that way via 360 and MAME.
A more more important matter would be how accurate is Mame currently regarding slowdowns, as it isn't a CV1000 title. Maybe you can also tell us how different the M2 version feels against Mame, if you've been playing it for so long.
I knew using “properly configured” would be an issue: would prefer not to get into that minutia right now. I’ll post all the PC & monitor specs & MAME configuration details if it is really necessary.

I didn’t say “expertly configured” with full intent.

And I’m now stating for at least 5th 6th time: highly subjective. Will add I am not an authority on MAME but I am a reasonably attentive human being trying to convey my impressions.

Even though very mediocre player I am feeling like can readily tell some differences between between my non expert but according to most earnest interwebs research satisfactory MAME setup vs Rinne Tensei. I will try to articulate those impressions and differences as they become more digested and am certain that perceived differences can be repeated/are repeatable.

Your identifying Daioujou as having a very odd resolution is very central to my impressions of Rinne Tensei vs MAME Daioujou: original WL & BL have some definite jank graphically speaking — not terribly noticeable or at least as noticeable in game as is case with “Game Over” screen which looks like might be about to crash the game/program. First few times I played Daioujou for both 360 and MAME I wondered if that display weirdness that accompanies the “Game Over” screen was intended as a joke or for style — like the taunting voice over for game over in DDP.

Perhaps that at least begins to clarify some of my comments today and yesteday which are again just my impressions.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

The 360 port was pretty poor, and I always found the original PS2 release (outputting at native 240p) to be superior.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Mine just shipped from Amazon Japan via DHL. Invoice had no changes to shipping cost. Total Price of product including shipping was under 60 USD.
Tim James

Post by Tim James »

I wonder why this isn't on the PSN Store in the US yet.
PC Engine Fan X!

Ordered the Switch LE set of DDP-DOJ Rinne Tensei through CD Japan (as they had a few copies left unsold) with shipping via Registered Air Mail with tracking number included from Japan to the USA for $14.00+ extra on top of the $65.00+ asking price. Final overall price was $81.00+ altogether (still a modest & reasonable price to pay indeed) with two additional CD Japan Rinne Tensei bonus items added in for free (as a special extra incentive to order such an LE set from CD Japan themselves).

Will M2 ShotTriggers DDP-DOJ Rinne Tensei appear on the USA region Nintendo Switch eShop & the US region Playstation Store fronts (seems to be perhaps in 2024 more likely -- it's just a matter of time when it'll appear properly on those two store fronts)?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

This hasn't been announced for an international release. It's Japan only right now.
PC Engine Fan X!

Thanks for the 411 on that informative tidbit, Ms.Tea. Am glad that I ordered a Switch Rinne Tensei LE set in the nick of time then while they're still up for grabs. Procrastination (especially at the last minute) is an excellent motivator sometimes.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

miwa wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:56 am Waiting for my Switch LE from Amazon Japan which is supposed to arrive early next week.
While I wish it'd arrive sooner, I do appreciate Amazon Japan informing me today that they've dropped the price for the LE from €70 to €56 and will apply this discount to my order (LE at play-asia is still around €102).

Also, M2 will go live in a few minutes and it seems they'll talk about their ShotTriggers plans for 2024.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgCEDt__RjA
What did they announce?
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

What did they announce?
Aleste Branch footage seems to be about it