Any way to convert Component to SCART with NTSC GameCube?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
DragonQuarter

Any way to convert Component to SCART with NTSC GameCube?

Post by DragonQuarter »

I have a Sony PVM that doesn't accept component, only SCART through a BNC converter.

I have a S-Video cable for my NTSC GameCube, but I'd like to do SCART.

Are NTSC GameCubes capable of outputting from, let's say, GCVideo 3.0 (CARBY HDMI) to Component using a converter, followed by some kind of Component to SCART solution? Or is any SCART completely out of the question and I'd need to get a PAL GameCube to make it work?
SavagePencil

Re: Any way to convert Component to SCART with NTSC GameCube?

Post by SavagePencil »

This, or a device like it, will take your component and output SCART: https://www.retrotink.com/product-page/comp2rgb
D

Post by D »

I'd suggest to just get a gamecube scart cable instead of trying to convert stuff. I am not 100% sure, but I'd be suprised if it didn't work.
But why for god's sake would you want to downgrade the 480p component to 480i RGB?
That component cable is worth alot of money and almost rightfully so.
I would suggest you play gamecube with that component cable and enjoy games in 480p. Perhaps switch to a different tv or monitor
do not downgrade 480p content
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

D wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:05 pm I'd suggest to just get a gamecube scart cable instead of trying to convert stuff. I am not 100% sure, but I'd be suprised if it didn't work.
But why for god's sake would you want to downgrade the 480p component to 480i RGB?
I would suggest you play gamecube with that component cable and enjoy games in 480p. Perhaps switch to a different tv or monitor
The caveat being that the SCART cable won’t work with the OP’s GameCube (because it is NTSC).
D

Post by D »

SavagePencil wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:27 pm
D wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:05 pm I'd suggest to just get a gamecube scart cable instead of trying to convert stuff. I am not 100% sure, but I'd be suprised if it didn't work.
The caveat being that the SCART cable won’t work with the OP’s GameCube (because it is NTSC).
So N$ deliberatly disabled RGB on NTSC-US consoles? Their evil ways never ceases to amaze me!
Well, then just get a PAL or NTSC-J gamecube i you desperately need RGB 480i.
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

D wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:33 pmSo N$ deliberatly disabled RGB on NTSC-US consoles? Their evil ways never ceases to amaze me!
Well, then just get a PAL or NTSC-J gamecube i you desperately need RGB 480i.
It's not on the NTSC-J console either, it's something that was added specifically to PAL consoles because some displays there could actually use it