What have been your favorite games this year?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
XoPachi

Re: What have been your favorite games this year?

Post by XoPachi »

Apparently they patched out the stunlocking issue after player complaints. Among other criticisms.
ryu

Post by ryu »

XoPachi wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:23 pm Apparently they patched out the stunlocking issue after player complaints. Among other criticisms.
Is that even possible without noticeably altering the game?
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

ryu wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:56 pm Is that even possible without noticeably altering the game?
I don't have the game so I wouldn't know what they did for certain. But I imagine it's as simple as giving the player more i-frames during certain recovery animations.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

XoPachi wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:12 am I feel like gauging this genre purely on how punishing it is in combat is missing much of the point of the design for these games. The most revered search action titles are not difficult by any means from a survival perspective. And if they are, that's almost never why they're lauded.
It might be important for some, but I think how these games decide to craft the interconnectivity of their world design and pace their tool upgrade centric progression is the driving force of their success. You couldn't ask for an easier search action title than SotN but it's half of what spearheaded the sub genre's moniker. Super Metroid is generally still seen as the peak of it, if not, at least top 3 and that game is similarly piss easy.

If the exploration succeeds in being engaging and fun, that right there is mission accomplished. That's the primary objective of the genre. You don't really need to brutalize players to achieve that.
Well said. Part of the fun is the power trip at the end, and the anticipation leading up to it.
ryu

Post by ryu »

I agree with the above sentiments. My main complaint with Blasphemous was that travelling around the map was a chore sometimes because of the game's high difficulty. Wouldn't have been much of an issue in a linear action platformer though.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Marc

Post by Marc »

So far, in the relatively new category, Deathloop by a mile.
More folk should play it.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Super Mega Baseball 4 is by far my most played game this year. Nice game to kick back with after a miserable day at work.