Assault Suit Leynos Reboot for PS4

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Obiwanshinobi

Re: Assault Suit Leynos Reboot for PS4

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Later generation, but Death Tank also got remade in recent years. All the more hope for a Metal Warriors vs remake.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Well, kinda weird, but it happened, Leynos is being Localized overseas by Rising Star games (Both on PS4 and PC). And yes, there will be a Physical PS4 release that'll include a double sided poster. http://gematsu.com/2016/04/assault-suit ... -pc-summer

Its coming around the summer with no set date.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

holy shit that is pretty insane. glad I held off on getting the JP one now. does the game still have the same really low quality graphics as the 3rd demo or did they ever resolve that so it looked like it did on the first two demo's? not that it's a huge issue.....
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

PC version, sweet.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
system11

Post by system11 »

Immryr wrote:holy shit that is pretty insane. glad I held off on getting the JP one now. does the game still have the same really low quality graphics as the 3rd demo or did they ever resolve that so it looked like it did on the first two demo's? not that it's a huge issue.....
It got released with the shit ones.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

i really can't understand that.... what could have made them need to downgrade the graphics of a 2d game on a ps4?
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

Possibly if the game runs inside some kind of wrapper or simulated environment. Or if the graphics are blown up.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Digital release date is July 12.
Bitter Almonds

Post by Bitter Almonds »

I already have the Japanese import, but will buy the North American physical release, as well. I love the look of these games 8)
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

Not really a fan of the graphics, looks like some generic unity game or whatever. It's also a bit like the vanillaware spritework in places, of which i'm not a fan either. I guess i expected something else from a 16bit reboot.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

Huh, has been more than a month since the reported release date but everything's completely silent. Did they cancel the release or something?
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

They have it listed on Amazon.ca here. Usually when Amazon lists stuff they usually come through though
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

It's listed on Amazon UK for a 9th Sept release via Rising Star Games
Bitter Almonds

Post by Bitter Almonds »

I saw it listed on PSN for digital release on Sept. 14 at 20 bucks.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

Finally, an official confirmation
http://gematsu.com/2016/08/assault-suit ... -august-30

Aug 30 for Steam version.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

Out now on Steam
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

It's out on disc for PS4 also.... picked it up for 20 today at gamestop. Ewwwwwww, gamestop.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

So..... is it any good?
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Sumez wrote:So..... is it any good?
Really enjoyed the Japanese version... waiting on my North American version to be shipped from Amazon

I probably would have enjoyed the JP version a lot more if I could understand the Japanese lol.
That said playing this really reminded me of the Genesis/Mega Drive version.

Though the Genesis/Mega Drive version was much much harder... When I was a kid I actually had to use the cheat code for infinite health to beat it
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

It's awful.

Collision detection is completely fucked. There's no consistency between what's "background" and what's in the playfield; there's at least one thing that looks like it's a background object, but is instant game over if you touch it. Some bosses damage you if they touch you, some don't, and there's no rhyme or reason to it; it's just whatever they felt like programming that day. Sound design is just a bunch random crap that sounds like white noise. "Level design" is just big flat hallways, enemy placement is just copy/pastes of the same enemy waves. Stage objectives frequently aren't clear at fucking all; after playing stage 3 four times, I still have no idea what the fuck they want you to do in that stage ("dock with the ship"... I'm literally standing on the fucking ship, and when the timer ticks down, it kicks me off the platform and I die. That fucking makes sense.)

Probably going to Steam refund it, since I'm under 2 hours and it's obviously really damn bad. (EDIT: Have applied for the refund.)
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Everything you said is wrong.... it's you, you're awful. This is known.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

You could say that his tastes are somewhat...Obscure.

Teehee
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Sorry, but there's nothing obscure about thinking it's crap when a game establishes that you can walk through enemies Metal Slug style, and then takes half of your lifebar when you touch the stage 2 boss. There's nothing obscure about thinking it's crap when some background effect gives you an instant game over. There's nothing obscure about thinking that level design should be more than big open fields with copy/pasted enemy waves. There's nothing obscure about thinking that it sucks that the first two stages in a mode labeled "Arcade" are like five minutes long each, and nothing happens in either one of them. There's nothing obscure about thinking that regenerating health is a shit idea in a sidescrolling action game, doubly so in a mode labeled "arcade".

ASL is a terrible game. Thank god for Steam refunds.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'm pretty sure touching (most of) the bosses also kills you in Metal Slug?
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Notably, though, touching the Stage 1 boss or the Stage 2 midboss doesn't damage you in ASL.

The game just totally changes the rules at the Stage 2 boss because *reasons*.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, actually I'm pretty sure the only boss that kills you on touch in Metal Slug is the stage 4 boss... which are a pair of giant tanks that are covered in spikes. I don't think any of the others do, although to be fair, I don't think I've ever consciously tried it on any boss other than stage 2 boss and O'Neil.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Was it like this in the original game?
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

drunkninja24 wrote:Was it like this in the original game?
The game replicates the original very closely. Its a bit easier though in my opinion but that does not mean its a cake walk lol.
Its still a very hard game.

I'm not sure what Obscura is talking about though as this is just like any other classic traditional side scroling platformer. There are plenty of strategic elements in the game and you really need to pace yourself through the game or else you'll just get destroyed if you don't plan for the enemies. Even then your pretty much guaranteed that you will get hit by enemy fire.

Regenerating health is almost a must for most people.. it was also in the original as well. Even with regenerating health you can easily get destroyed it just doesn't automatically get topped up. You need to avoid any sort of damage for it to slowly regenerate and that isn't that easy for most people.

Graphics are 2D so I guess it can be difficult to determine what is background and what is not seeing how 3D makes it much easier to distinguish the two.

I remember the part where you had to dock the ship and I had no clue what to do... the reason why I had no clue was because it was all in Japanese but I managed to figure it out eventually. This was also in the original I believe I sort of forget the original came out at least 25 years ago? So yhaa memory is really bad lol

I really enjoyed the game but I can understand this game isn't everyone cup of tea. It wasn't for everyone back in the days and its not for everyone now as well.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

*blows, coughs from all the mold and dust*

Hi! I don’t know how I never posted in this thread. I ended up buying the game on disc twice. I paid the ridiculous asking price for the Japanese version at release and the discounted price again later for the US disc at that release. Though maybe the Japanese disc was an investment of sorts (those 2nd hand prices, Jesus).

Anyway, in anticipation of a couple of new Assault Suit-style games on the horizon, such as City Connection’s Assault Suit Leynos 2 Saturn port and The Scramble Vice, I’ve been revisiting the Leynos remake. I finally sat down and worked out a 1CC (normal difficulty, base options) thanks to iconoclast’s and another YouTuber’s old playthroughs. Leynos Remake isn’t a particularly difficult game to clear, I guess I just moved on to other things in the past before I could get there. I had a serious GTA Online addiction back then that would pull me away from countless games, long before I had peeled back any layers.

I feel like I appreciate the remake far more today than I did at release or even during all of my demo playthroughs. I approach games like this differently now. I think the load outs should be treated more like Armored Core and I don’t feel like sub-weapons are as useless as I did before. I used to crutch on the standard MG and the BB pack, but the other weapons are quite viable in specific situations. The cluster grenade launcher and bazookas are splash damage murder and the missile packs obliterate some enemies like the stage 5 boss in seconds.

So yeah, it’s been a fun revisit to this somewhat under appreciated remake. It’s a shame Dracue never had a chance to remake Valken or Leynos 2. Though given some of the technical issues with Leynos remake, that might have been beyond their technical ability.