Playing back-ups can ruin your lens???

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
J-Manic

Playing back-ups can ruin your lens???

Post by J-Manic »

I know what you're thinking. Shame on me for playing back-ups! I know, I know. But I do own a bunch, and most of the are of games that are way too expensive nowadays. So Iam not ashamed. Just FYI, only a few of them are shmups. 8)

Someone just told me recently that playing back-ups can strain or/and ruin your lens in your console. I've been playing back-ups on both my Dreamcast and Playstation (PS1), and have had no problems so far. But is this really true? Should I stop playing my back-ups in order to prevent damage to my lens'?

Thanks.
Last edited by J-Manic on Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
velocity7

Post by velocity7 »

Any form of media that is not original to the console system is likely to damage the lens very slowly. If you want to maintain the lens more, you should look into blowing dust out of the console and drive, as well as cleaning the lens (I use 99% alcohol with a cotton swab, that works great).
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

*Cough, Hdloader, cough*
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

For the DC, backups spin faster, and more often then original GD's since the data layout is different (not optimized for in-game loading). This is the only "problem" with playing backups with respect to the laser/motor.

With the cost of DC's these day I wouldn't worry about it.
J-Manic

Post by J-Manic »

Dave_K. wrote:For the DC, backups spin faster, and more often then original GD's since the data layout is different (not optimized for in-game loading). This is the only "problem" with playing backups with respect to the laser/motor.
I've noticed this. Whenever I play a back-up for a long period of time, I can hear the system working harder (louder noise). And I can also hear the lens moving faster and more frequently too.
With the cost of DC's these day I wouldn't worry about it.
True. :) That's why I'm planning on buying another console just incase.

I've been using the same Dreamcast that I bought when it first launched, and have been playing back-ups on it since around 2002-2003. So far, no problems. As far as my PS1 goes, I bought it back in 2003, and have been playing PS1 back-ups since then. Again, no problems so far. But I have a funny feeling it will all catch up to me soon.
malcolm

Post by malcolm »

I play "backups" all the time and haven't had a problem yet. But just in case I have 3 dreamcasts.
antron

Post by antron »

you can get the DCs with 'broken' controler ports for next to nothing. jump the fuse and you are good to go.