Arcade games where you prefer the console port

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
AZA

Re: Arcade games where you prefer the console port

Post by AZA »

Hyper Duel. The arcade version is awesome, but the Saturn version looks much better and controls much better. I wish there was an arcade version of the Saturn version.... A Hyper Duel ST-V cart would be so badass, with all the OST remade using the ST-V/Saturn's super underutilized FM sound capabilities.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Strider on Genesis. The music is far superior, and I prefer the rougher graphics.

Ghouls n’ Ghosts on Genesis. This one’s a tie with arcade version. The Genesis version has snappier controls and better music, but I definitely prefer the look of the arcade version.

Donkey Kong on NES. Much better controls, and I prefer the graphical styling despite it being slightly inferior to the arcade. Missing the Pie Factory stage is a good thing, it’s poorly designed and doesn’t fit in with the others.

Wonderboy on Master System.

R-TYPE on Master System. Another tie. The music on the Master System version is superb and I dig the lo-fi vibe.

Cloud Master on Master System. I find the downgraded graphics to be far more appealing. The game is strangely compelling despite being average at best. I don’t like any of the other versions.

On That Note, the La Mulana remake sucks all the charm out of the original, IMO. More advanced doesn’t mean better.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

SGGG2 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:55 am Donkey Kong on NES.
Now there's a take
Lander

Post by Lander »

More advanced may not mean better, but how about fully realising the depiction of your megamyth?

The remake is where La Mulana hit its artistic stride in my book; much more show-don't-tell about its world than the original via murals, statues, architectural detailing, and so forth. And it's definitely a myth that deserves proper showing, given how well it executes the smashing-together of historical legends.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

The only game I can think of where I vastly prefer the console port is Gauntlet Legends. The health draining over time thing is really harsh given the boss design is cruel and just straight up have attacks that hit the entire arena. Feels designed to suck your credits away in the arcade, but the console ports make them more like an RPG where you can level up and come in with a bunch of items to actually even the playing field.

The original Gauntlet also has a very good port in the Genesis Gauntlet IV but I have no idea if it's actually better than the arcade version or not.
Sumez wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:38 pm
Now there's a take
What about Donkey Kong GB? ;)
Marc

Post by Marc »

Now there's a take
I thought all of them were!
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
The_Fix

Post by The_Fix »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:36 pm What about Donkey Kong GB? ;)
Best game on the system!

Gardius III on the SNES is a gental walk in the park with an old friend while Departure for Space plays in the breeze.
Gardius III AC on the other han $%*# you in the !@( with a cube!

I like the SNES one. :)
Any sufficiently advanced game-play is indistinguishable from cheating. - Arthur C. Clarke Resume :wink:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Now there's a take
It's much better than the Colecovision version (which lacks many of the animations and has no springs on the elevator stage) but lacks RNG and many of the arcade tricks. I much prefer the Atari 800 port over the NES version, myself, but it's definitely not better than the AC.

Chelnov is one where I prefer the console port (Megadrive). Aside from improved graphics, it also has multiple control options and excellent music.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Chelnov MD is more a remake than a port. Not unlike Side Pocket MD.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Generally speaking I prefer X68000 versions over arcade more often than not due to nice additions.
Some stand outs:

Gemini Wing: The MIDI options for this are INSANE.

Dragon Spirit: True tate in both 15 or 31khz and both Old and New rom versions.

Cotton: More of a "Cotton Plus," you get a lot of new sprites, added parrallax, 2 exclusive bosses, old bosses have new attacks, etc.

Fantasy Zone: 3D shutter glasses support.

Most of the Konami games have great MIDI as well.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Sumez wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:38 pm Now there's a take
Not really. A lot of this depends on what you enjoy in a given title. Sometimes the “game” part isn’t as important as the whole experience - or one aspect drags it down, or worse, is a deal breaker. I can!t stand the constant voice over in Sunset Overdrive, doesn’t matter how good the game is, you couldn’t pay me to put up with that.

NES Donkey Kong is far more accessible since game “A” has a smooth difficulty curve. The arcade version is HARD from the start. The only thing missing from the NES port for me is the opening animation.
Lander wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:28 pm More advanced may not mean better, but how about fully realising the depiction of your megamyth?

The remake is where La Mulana hit its artistic stride in my book; much more show-don't-tell about its world than the original via murals, statues, architectural detailing, and so forth. And it's definitely a myth that deserves proper showing, given how well it executes the smashing-together of historical legends.
This is a perfectly valid take, and one that I can’t really speak to specifically. The self imposed MSX styling of limited technology and constrained presentation give the original game an air of mystery and make the game itself feel like some sort of artifact. I find “chip tune” music memorable and haunting, modern renditions generally lack strong character, and what little I played of the remake didn’t strike me different. It turned me off from the get go. As far as presentation goes, you could easily argue the opposite, that inspiring the players imagination with text is superior to anything an artist could make. In any event, it’s a case by case basis and the players preference plays a role. I’m biased, as I’m a huge fan of lo fi aesthetics.
Last edited by SGGG2 on Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Double post
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

SGGG2 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:29 pm NES Donkey Kong is far more accessible since game “A” has a smooth difficulty curve. The arcade version is HARD from the start. The only thing missing from the NES port for me is the opening animation.
Any sort of challenging arcade gameplay is also missing. :)
If you want a smoother difficulty curve, play the Japanese one. It loops the four stages for each difficulty level, meaning you'll get to play the elevator and factory stages on easier difficulties you've never seen before. The American stage order gives you a barrel stage every second stage, and leaves out the other stages until the difficulty level is already close to maxed out.
SnotShot

Post by SnotShot »

A few off the top of my head:

Street Fighter Alpha 3 console versions (Saturn, PlayStation, Dreamcast, etc.) are superior to the arcade as they not only have additional characters and stages, but also additional game modes (dramatic battle, world tour).

It’s a similar situation for Vampire Savior whose console versions have all the characters in the game as opposed to the multiple arcade versions which had various incomplete character rosters.

And in the case of releases such as Ultra Street Fighter II, which is a game exclusive to a single console (switch), and is arguably the definitive version of the game, you have new characters, new mechanics not found in the arcade versions, improved balancing, color edit mode, and selectable graphic styles and music (original or remixed).
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Bassa-Bassa wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:40 am Chelnov MD is more a remake than a port. Not unlike Side Pocket MD.
AFAIK, Side Pocket MD is actually a port of Pocket Gal Deluxe minus the nudity.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Well, the thing is MD Side Pocket released in Japan a bit earlier than Pocket Gal Deluxe, so it really is, but not officially.