Terra Diver MODS &... REHASHES?

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
MistarerX

Terra Diver MODS &... REHASHES?

Post by MistarerX »

Recently got myself going on the shmuppery with the much vaunted Sega Saturn's superVCslot-slammer; the Satiator... With my also recently acquired 42" Phillips AUREA I can now play all the available shmups for this console in full screen (via RGB) with good detail in the picture. Classic STG arcade style picture format translates pretty being about the same size as the arcade machine screens. Battle Garegga is quite playable displaying in its full tallness. It can't be denied though, it could be better. On the other hand, the other amazing Eighting/Raizing game known as Soukyugurentai (aka Terra Diver) is quite possibly at its best rendered in such HQ with the patented LED border illuminating the playing field and deepening blacks. (Yes - I am talking up this TV and recommending it wholeheartedly for retro gaming).

I am left wondering if there are any modders who may be interested is refining the only slightly broken gameplay.... Indeed, maybe somone is already looking into it...

For the longshot - throwing this one into outer space - if there were developers who can use the source code to remap, remodel, and refresh this tragically abandoned franchise's (SFIII level tragedy) vertizonal format I for one am willing to crowdfund any efforts. Terra Diver - Polar Assault.... Terra Diver - Hurricane.... Terra Diver - Moonbase.... Some ideas for spin-offs.... Pilot/ship customization being another thing to consider!!

Haha yea so first post and its a real doosey. One can only hope. Oaks and acorns, eh?
DMC

Re: Terra Diver MODS &... REHASHES?

Post by DMC »

Welcome to the forum, guys! :D Nice to see more Soukyugurentai (and SFIII) fans here.
MistarerX wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:02 am if there were developers who can use the source code to remap, remodel, and refresh this tragically abandoned franchise's (SFIII level tragedy) vertizonal format I for one am willing to crowdfund any efforts.
I suggest you throw some cash to Mr. EmperorIng, who has been working on a hack, see the thread below. There was also some discussion there on how the scoring and weapons could be re-balanced, maybe of interest.
viewtopic.php?p=1506262&hilit=pinpoint& ... 1#p1506262

I kinda like the scoring bug though as it raises the stakes a lot and make things more exciting by around stage 3. The big bomb bonus is a nice "high-amplitude, low-frequency" reward. It complements the lock-on multiplier system, which is a "low-amplitude, high-frequency" reward pretty well. If Soukyu was compared to Baseball, the big bomb bonus would be a home run, and the lock-on multipliers would be all the other hits. Both elements crucial for making Baseball enjoyable.

...but the bomb bonus is indeed a really unforgiving system as 1 mistake can cost you so much. And depend to some extent on lucky RNG (but is mostly due to rank management and boss milking). The programmer Toyama regretted it, so an arranged mode would be nice to see.
MistarerX

Re: Terra Diver MODS &... REHASHES?

Post by MistarerX »

DMC wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:50 am I suggest you throw some cash to Mr. EmperorIng
Ok I will see if I can find them. Just a few tokens for a takeaway might be appreciated. Im a pay check to pay checker myself. Definitely need to get a crowd going.

Yea appreciate the response DMC!! I agree the lock on for is pretty good too. Maybe just needs to be faster depending on rank. My big thing is graphical improvement for those Ps. Really annoying. Just slapping in some kanji instead will be a relief. But plasma orbs that absorb into the ship will be amazing.... Let alone a serial continuation for the game :idea: