The best £6 I spent on my PSP...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Danny

The best £6 I spent on my PSP...

Post by Danny »

Hello guys and gals!

I know some of you in this forum own a PSP and find the controls to be annoying specialy for those old school arcade games like fighting games and shmups.

Now I know a lot of you proberbly know of the "d-pad stickers" that capcom brought out, well now the crafty people (you know which people I'm talking about) from the east have made their own variant so I decided to give it a try... and it works!

It's now possable for me to pull of dragon punches and jump toward/away from my oppnent in street fighter and it makes playing homebrew shmups a damn sight easier to and it's easier on the hands than the anolouge nub to.

This was the sticker I got...

Ebay Link

Anyone else modifyed there d-pad in the same way or did you use a differnt method? I know you can open up the PSP and lift up the d-pad by putting some thin card underneith it but I was not confedent in opening up my PSP to be honest because I'm a bit clumsy lol.

p.s: Why did Sony make such stupid mistakes in the design on their handheld? Dammit someone must of mentioned it to them during playtesting at some point lol.
Herr Schatten

Re: The best £6 I spent on my PSP...

Post by Herr Schatten »

Danny wrote:Why did Sony make such stupid mistakes in the design on their handheld?
Because it looks much better this way and that's what seems to help selling the system. They probably don't even care if it actually works. Style over substance.
D

Re: The best £6 I spent on my PSP...

Post by D »

Herr Schatten wrote:
Danny wrote:Why did Sony make such stupid mistakes in the design on their handheld?
Because it looks much better this way and that's what seems to help selling the system. They probably don't even care if it actually works. Style over substance.
Exactly! It's all about the dough. Nobody cares if the whole world is in missery if they can make a few bucks extra. And untill people inform before they buy it will be like that forever.
Good thing we are on a mod-happy board. :)
~Kid Icarus~

Post by ~Kid Icarus~ »

I'm interested in this but I can't imagine putting a sticker over the dpad would be very reliable.

I remember performing a fireball on my old Saturn and the dpad fell off, this has got to be really flimsy surely?
Danny

Post by Danny »

Na the sticker is really er... sticky lol. :D

Seriously I've been playing Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max with it all day and it does work a charm. The reason why it works is because it raises the d-pad of the ground thus allowing diagonals to become possable.
tekneekz

Post by tekneekz »

yea someone informed me bout the d-pad and this thing works wonders it stick really good its easy for me to twitch movement in sengoku cannon and gradius cause it kinda sits higher with a 90 degree edge on each direction meaning u can tap very slightly on the tip of each direction to get response and do little movements perfect for the shmups :)
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

Actually, this rotten abortion of a d-pad is what kept me away from buying a PSP... price aside. And what annoys me the most is that Sony was too lazy to change their controllers since the original Playstation Dual Shock. It was a bad controller right from the start, and now the next-gen Sony console is going to have that AGAIN? :x

It`s frustrating how hard it is to get a good reliable d-pad - for a console it means importing (when you live in Europe like me). Even the Saitek ones got badder - I spilled Tea all over my P-880 and bought a 990, and while it looks very similar, the d-pad is so bad you have to SLAM the directions to make it react. The other was nearly as fine as the Saturn PS2 pad, that was killed with - - Beer. Oh, and I lost my modem this way, too. And now the Saturn pads are sold out everywhere I looked. At least I ordered a converter so my old SNES pads come back to live! :)

I am sorry if I got a bit off topic, but I needed to rant a little :evil: