Batsugun S-Tribute

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BareKnuckleRoo

Re: Batsugun S-Tribute

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Just think of them as different difficulty modes. Type B is easiest, Type C is normal, and Type A is Slightly Unbearably Difficult Because It Takes Forever to Kill Anything. All three ships have been used to successfully counterstop Batsugun Special, so they're all technically usable. :)
Steven

Post by Steven »

Yeah, I like that way of thinking more. Let's go with that instead lol.
Marc

Post by Marc »

cfx wrote:I think Marc was asking if there is a true yoko mode that retains the full 4:3 screen instead of cropping the top and bottom to makie it near square as it was on Saturn.
A video I posted here on some previous page appeared to show that it indeed has such a mode.

Wow, that character art looks so much like original Macross character design.
Exactly this, thanks.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
snowekim

Post by snowekim »

Was about to pre-order the JP version from Playasia but apparently limited run is releasing the NA version:

https://twitter.com/claricedisc/status/ ... 99552?s=20
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

snowekim wrote:Was about to pre-order the JP version from Playasia but apparently limited run is releasing the NA version:

Was wondering if this would get a western release from a boutique shop. Even if this isn't the best release I want more physical shooters published in western territories. I don't think we'll be getting the M2 version here anyway.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Marc wrote:
cfx wrote:I think Marc was asking if there is a true yoko mode that retains the full 4:3 screen instead of cropping the top and bottom to makie it near square as it was on Saturn.
A video I posted here on some previous page appeared to show that it indeed has such a mode.

Wow, that character art looks so much like original Macross character design.
Exactly this, thanks.
See the video at this timestamp. Looks like the mode is called "arcade (rotate)":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbnFdepkoWQ&t=1440s
jehu

Post by jehu »

Playing on PS4.

It's fine. I like the new arrange. Can confirm that latency is low enough for the clear. I'd like to have someone test it, but it doesn't feel any worse than 4 to me.
Steven

Post by Steven »

snowekim wrote:Was about to pre-order the JP version from Playasia but apparently limited run is releasing the NA version:

Why bother with LRG? Get it from Amazon Japan and you'll get it within about a week instead of waiting until next year, and the yen is extremely weak right now, with the USD being like 40% more valuable, so no matter what currency you pay with, it's entirely possible that the Japanese version will actually be cheaper, shipping included, than buying from LRG. Yeah, you'll basically get it 40% off if you pay in USD, which is insane.

There are basically no downsides at all to buying the Japanese version, especially if you are paying in USD or some other currency that's more valuable than the yen, which is pretty much everything at this point. The money I get paid in is worthless...
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Or do both? It’s like $30 USD for that Japanese release. Play that now and keep the LRG one sealed.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Steven

Post by Steven »

Yeah, I can see doing that, too.

Did anyone get this on PC yet?
BydoR9

Post by BydoR9 »

I really want this game. Thinking I might just get on the old Play Asia and throw money at it ASAP!

Anyone know if the Japanese version is multi-language? The Asia version is, but it doesn't say so for the Japanese.

Thanks.
Been playing R-Type since 1987 - Still can't get past level four!
jehu

Post by jehu »

BydoR9 wrote:I really want this game. Thinking I might just get on the old Play Asia and throw money at it ASAP!

Anyone know if the Japanese version is multi-language? The Asia version is, but it doesn't say so for the Japanese.

Thanks.
You're safe - it is.
BydoR9

Post by BydoR9 »

jehu wrote:
BydoR9 wrote:I really want this game. Thinking I might just get on the old Play Asia and throw money at it ASAP!

Thanks.
You're safe - it is.
Many thanks! :-)
Been playing R-Type since 1987 - Still can't get past level four!
snowekim

Post by snowekim »

Steven wrote:

Why bother with LRG? Get it from Amazon Japan and you'll get it within about a week instead of waiting until next year, and the yen is extremely weak right now, with the USD being like 40% more valuable, so no matter what currency you pay with, it's entirely possible that the Japanese version will actually be cheaper, shipping included, than buying from LRG. Yeah, you'll basically get it 40% off if you pay in USD, which is insane.

There are basically no downsides at all to buying the Japanese version, especially if you are paying in USD or some other currency that's more valuable than the yen, which is pretty much everything at this point. The money I get paid in is worthless...
So there are a few benefits of the LRG version:

- Probably will come with English support ( not sure if the Jp version already includes English support though... I see play Asia has the asian version with multi language support and Jp version is only listed as Japanese)

Edit: just read Jehu's message, so it looks the Jp version has English support

- The LRG might inlcude the latest patch on disc/cartridge ( as it will be printed later than the original Japanese/asian run)

- One thing to consider is: if they follow their last CC release ( Akai) there was no collector's edition, so if that is something you're after probably the Japanese/Asian version is the way to go

Also last time I checked Amazon Japan it seems to be sold out( even the regular version)
Last edited by snowekim on Fri May 26, 2023 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

snowekim wrote: Also last time I checked Amazon Japan it seems to be sold out( even the regular version)
It is likely region blocked.
This has happened with a number of releases recently, where it is available to preorder, but then day of release it appears to become unavailable.
Saw it happen with Sol Cresta, Taito Egret Mini Memories Vol.1, and Osman too.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

It's also coming to Europe via Clear River Games - on Akai Katana it was stated they'd be doing it as a standard retail release, so I guess it'll be the same here.

Would rather wait for that given Steven's post about it already going up three minor patch versions! It is quite cheap though, so I might still do it to justify paying for express shipping when Zero Fire's release comes around....
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

Steven wrote:Yeah, I can see doing that, too.

yea, put about 8 hours into it. feels fine on my end.

the few things that kinda bothered me: it sucks that there isn't a native "full screen" option, even with vsync off it seems to cap it at 60fps, and the online leaderboards pop up in a different window. I dislike having to enable "hi score mode" every time I boot up the game too
a creature... half solid half gas
mirkvid

Post by mirkvid »

Mine should arrive today, super excited to spend some time this weekend with it!
Dazzymank

Post by Dazzymank »

got it on switch and PS4 digital.

just a heads up there is loads of different languages supporting the JPN version it looks like a worldwide release.

I couldn't wait for my all time fave game twhen was promised worldwide on Fridayso jpn it was.
mirkvid

Post by mirkvid »

Played a few rounds on PS4, seems like a solid release. I'd like a few more display options in the future, but it looks pretty good with smoothing (anti aliasing) off and scan lines on. I didn't notice any lag, but unless it's awful, I rarely do.

New music is cool too.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Was planning on waiting for the M2 release sometime in 2035, but caved and picked this up. Will probably mainly play it in Retroarch though since I need a lot of save states for the last two levels since they are such pains in the dick. But will get some use out of this for the extras and actual 1cc runs.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Signed by Matsumoto Daisuke
Spoiler
I have not really had a chance to play this or do anything else due to work, though, so now that I finally have some time today I will be able to actually put some time into the game for real.

Edit: oh cool, I got a 1CC on Special on my second time playing it lol
Some-Mist wrote:
Steven wrote:Yeah, I can see doing that, too.

yea, put about 8 hours into it. feels fine on my end.

the few things that kinda bothered me: it sucks that there isn't a native "full screen" option, even with vsync off it seems to cap it at 60fps, and the online leaderboards pop up in a different window. I dislike having to enable "hi score mode" every time I boot up the game too
The leaderboards are in a separate window? That's really weird. I expected it to cap at 60FPS, though that is also disappointing.

Well, at least it runs just fine on PS4 (well, PS5, if you want to be technical) and PC. Anyone get it on Switch yet?

Edit: yep
Dazzymank wrote:got it on switch and PS4 digital.
How is it on Switch?
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

yeah, so there's the intro screen where you select batsugun vs batsugun special, once you select one the intro screen closes and opens up a new window for the mode you selected. every time you boot you have to go into the options menu and select "online ranking" and then "mode on" so that it records the scores to the leaderboards. then if you select "ranking" it opens up another new 2ndary window that will close after you back out. I didn't realize that the game doesn't keep your scoring "mode on" between sessions until after 3-4 of them because despite beating my recorded score, the leaderboard screen says it might take awhile for the leaderboards to update your score... so after a couple days of it not updating I realized you have to enable it every new session
Spoiler
the game in normal screen (horizontal) orientation is crappy because it trims the play area to make it fit, and there are other options for scrolling instead of trimming but putting it in tate removes the issue entirely. the video options are fucked tbh
Last edited by Some-Mist on Sun May 28, 2023 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steven

Post by Steven »

That is........ really stupid. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Preliminary lag tests are here: https://twitter.com/kimagreGaming/statu ... 44/photo/1

Remember what I said about 5 frames on PC? I was right~
Last edited by Steven on Sun May 28, 2023 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

I wish someone would tell me I'm wrong and that there's a way to put it in fullscreen mode (the launch command -fullscreen doesn't work in the properties section likely because of all the new windows that open up) or that there's a way to just keep the high score mode on and I'd feel a lot better about it.

this is my first s-tribute game btw, so all of this might be known from other games? but the only recent city connection game I've played is akai katana and that port was quite good in comparison
Steven

Post by Steven »

I think most people stayed FAR away from S-Tribute after Cotton's 10~13 frames or whatever it was, and I don't think many people here got the PC versions, including myself.

Akai Katana is probably a different thing from the S-Tribute stuff, though. Can't really say Batsugun is just them lazily throwing the disc image in a dumpster-tier emulator and calling it good enough since they went out of their way to add a lot of extra features and stuff, but the way they seem to have handled it on PC is highly questionable.
denpanosekai

Post by denpanosekai »

Quick question about the Asian release of Batsugun: Does it have English or Chinese text on the spine?

(Both Raiden 3 and 4 on PS4 have Chinese)
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Got my Amazon copy yesterday but didn’t had much time to play. Didn’t know I would get some postcards with the standard edition so that was a plus.
Played a few credits only so far.
And so far I’m very pleased with this release. Feels responsive (Switch), plenty of display options, BGM etc.
Switch version updates to 1.02, if the western release includes these patches I might double dip. Great month for stg on Switch; Gunvein, Batsugan, Star Gagnat…all run and feel pretty snappy.
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

another vouch for the ps4 version feeling good. i used to play on saturn in my cab with padhacks and it feels just as resposive as that.
also i find m2s ports a pain to navigate and you never know if you messed up the settings by mistake but this has a simple but adequate wrapper that is simple to navigate.
sometimes i wish m2 would just do simple ports like this and hamsters as we would get a lot more good ports rather than widgets and statistics. i just wanna change my controls,put some credits in and press start and play :P
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Yep Switch version feels good. Very happy with this.