RQ: DOJ superplays

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
NTSC-J

RQ: DOJ superplays

Post by NTSC-J »

Does anyone have any superplays of DOJ? superplay.co.uk has the death label records, but I'd like to see some record runs of the regular version if at all possible. Even just the Arika ones would do, if someone could upload them onto superplay.co.uk I'd much appreciate it. A-exy runs are ideal, but anything would be fine.
zakk

Re: RQ: DOJ superplays

Post by zakk »

NTSC-J wrote:Does anyone have any superplays of DOJ? superplay.co.uk has the death label records, but I'd like to see some record runs of the regular version if at all possible. Even just the Arika ones would do, if someone could upload them onto superplay.co.uk I'd much appreciate it. A-exy runs are ideal, but anything would be fine.
I assume you meant Black Label there.

Good luck. I think all the world record type players all switched to BL.

And as a preemptive post: DO NOT upload the Arika stuff to superplay. It'll get removed. It's recent enough and within the realm of questionable enough that it's not something we (they) really want up there.
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

You've probably seen the vids, and they aren't world records, but triple lei posted a damn good run here:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... c&start=90
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

zakk wrote:
NTSC-J wrote:Does anyone have any superplays of DOJ? superplay.co.uk has the death label records, but I'd like to see some record runs of the regular version if at all possible. Even just the Arika ones would do, if someone could upload them onto superplay.co.uk I'd much appreciate it. A-exy runs are ideal, but anything would be fine.
I assume you meant Black Label there.

Good luck. I think all the world record type players all switched to BL.

And as a preemptive post: DO NOT upload the Arika stuff to superplay. It'll get removed. It's recent enough and within the realm of questionable enough that it's not something we (they) really want up there.
Gotcha.

And yea I meant BL. Why did all the players switch? There doesn't seem to be much of a difference between the two except hypers come faster in BL(?)
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

@zakk
the arika espgaluda arrange mode superplays are up there....
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

NTSC-J wrote: And yea I meant BL. Why did all the players switch? There doesn't seem to be much of a difference between the two except hypers come faster in BL(?)
BL seems a bit harder survival-wise, that or the issue of confiscated lives at the end of 1st loop
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Slateman is kindly hosting my two No Hyper stage plays at http://www.slateman.net/video/
zakk

Post by zakk »

Plasmo wrote:@zakk
the arika espgaluda arrange mode superplays are up there....
Those didn't come on a dvd with the game. They were freely available for download on their site.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

oh ok i thought he was talking about the downloadable arika doj vids like this 2-5 stage and the promo vid...
yeah dont upload the dvd its not super-warez.co.uk
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Ko.oS

Post by Ko.oS »

http://www.ikaruga.co.uk/files/shmups/

the files named ps2ddd*** are the vids that were up on the arika webpage a while ago. (full run w/ A-E up to 2-2, etc)

btw, kaneda, i know this is weird, but next time you visit a big game center, like i dunno, the hey, can you note down the approx highest scores on the DOJ/DOJ-BL machines and post them here? thx
Spoiler
choke
Platonic Shumpper
Spoiler
on
Spoiler
it
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Yea for the record I was asking for the videos Arika had on their page. They had them up for so long when I got a new laptop thought I could just re-download them, but they've since taken them down.

Thanks ko.os for the link!

And it's no trouble at all regarding looking at DOJ scores, I'd be glad to assist. The main problem is that the machines get reset everday, so I doubt I'll see any record-pushing scores. On the plus side, at HEY, everyday is pretty incredible so I'm bound to see some good stuff on the weekends.

HEY just got in a new BL DOJ (all they've had lately was the original) and last week I saw a guy get 1 billion+ on it. Didn't watch his whole play, but I think he got munched in 2-3. I've also seen a fellow get to 2-5 Hibachi with ~800m in BL. lol he kicked the machine when he finally got killed, I would've been hugging it and filming my initials.
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

NTSC-J wrote:lol he kicked the machine when he finally got killed, I would've been hugging it and filming my initials.
i'm still stuck at 2-1, i can only dream of 2-5 so far.. i would definitely have filmed my initials too
actually i've been playing 2-5 in simulation mode a bit for laughs and on minimum basic and speed rank it seems less absurd than it used to, the 1-5 experience really helps. when i reach the boss though, it's a complete slaughter
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Watched a guy get to the spirit form of Hibachi this afternoon in Black Label, ended the run with ~1.3 billion. Not bad at all.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

NTSC-J wrote:Watched a guy get to the spirit form of Hibachi this afternoon in Black Label, ended the run with ~1.3 billion. Not bad at all.
Are people playing more BL version than regular white version over there? This was a debate on Neo-Geo a little while ago...saying noboy plays the original white label anymore in japan (I guess since its too hard?)
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

I've actually only seen one white version, black label is just more common. Sort of lame that the only version most of us have access to is almost obsolete.
gavin19

Post by gavin19 »

I know almost nothing of the differences, but the main one I can remember off-hand is that when you begin the 2nd loop you retain any lives carried over from the first.
In standard DOJ you get 1 life to begin the 2nd loop and that's all.

EDIT : I almost forgot about rtw's restoration of this site which details the differences.
a.k.a - G19
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Goongrave wrote:
Wonder how much a black label pcb costs...thousands i think...
They're in the $1000-$1200 range nowadays.