Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Bassa-Bassa

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Steven wrote:You probably won't have enough buttons on an arcade stick to play the game; I plugged in my RAP N and it does work, but you need to use the d-pad, the left analog stick, and almost every button aside from L3 and R3, so even with the RAP N I don't have enough buttons to map everything.

What's the left analog stick used for? If freaking 6 buttons aren't enough for a 2D game, it's a flawed game in my book. The devs these days only know about unnecessary complexity because actual depth requires talent. And here we are.

Thanks for checking.
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

Bassa-Bassa wrote: What's the left analog stick used for? If freaking 6 buttons aren't enough for a 2D game, it's a flawed game in my book. The devs these days only know about unnecessary complexity because actual depth requires talent. And here we are.
Honestly, even 4 buttons is usually too many for me; but even though I don't play fighters I understand the need for 6-8 action buttons. The only exception I can think of is Dead Cells; even with my 8-button stick I still need to use the keyboard for the head shot (fortunately it's almost never required).
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:
Steven wrote:You probably won't have enough buttons on an arcade stick to play the game; I plugged in my RAP N and it does work, but you need to use the d-pad, the left analog stick, and almost every button aside from L3 and R3, so even with the RAP N I don't have enough buttons to map everything.

What's the left analog stick used for? If freaking 6 buttons aren't enough for a 2D game, it's a flawed game in my book. The devs these days only know about unnecessary complexity because actual depth requires talent. And here we are.

Thanks for checking.
Oh cool, I just checked and it uses the right stick, as well. lol didn't notice that before. I'll just post pictures of the default controls since there is a lot of stuff and I'm kind of lazy to type it all~
Spoiler
I definitely do not think I'd want to play this game on any controller other than the keyboard...
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

My belief is that using a keyboard for traditional action games is unfun, and unnatural, and unhealthy so never mind me, but if you can't also do at least half of those actions by way of special command inputs with the main buttons and d-pad or if you really have to also attend to the left analog stick mid action, fuck that game.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Keyboard is the best controller, though...

Anyway, no, you can't use command inputs to do that stuff, but there are (extremely simple) command inputs for specific attacks with specific weapons once you unlock those attacks. They all seem pretty useless so far and not worth using instead of just using your regular attack.
o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:My belief is that using a keyboard for traditional action games is unfun, and unnatural, and unhealthy so never mind me, but if you can't also do at least half of those actions by way of special command inputs with the main buttons and d-pad or if you really have to also attend to the left analog stick mid action, fuck that game.
I think I might have carpal tunnel syndrome or something, because the direction pad after a mere 5 minutes just kills my hands.

That said, I'd still not do a keyboard. I've largely switched over to joysticks, although it's not my preferred method for platformers.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

I have a better time playing Metal Slug games on keyboard than using controller. Stuff like Hard Corps also plays better with keyboard IMO as dealing with ABC buttons (like switching Shot I/II) are much easier to execute.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

o.pwuaioc wrote: I think I might have carpal tunnel syndrome or something, because the direction pad after a mere 5 minutes just kills my hands.

That said, I'd still not do a keyboard. I've largely switched over to joysticks, although it's not my preferred method for platformers.
I've always been a joystick player, so can't even say I've switched. Wall-jumping and some minor stuff sucks with them, but still.
Air Master Burst

All button arcade box is the best of both worlds, can't recommend it enough.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Sumez wrote:I completely forgot about Deathwish Enforcers (somewhat amateurish, but well-meaning looking SunsetRidersLike). Looks like it came out last week. Did anyone take a plunge and try it?

Seriously no buzz at all?
I'm guessing the game is a dud.

EDIT: Can't figure out if this "mechanic" is a bad thing or a badass thing:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh hello frens :3

Like a cute POUSYBOI trapped in a hentai doujin, I am getting rammed hard from both ends, moving house while minding the eldest and tiniest of house Biruford X_X Apologies for being so scarce! My backlog is bonering! Wild Fang is out on ACA, go play that pls, I promise, you'll be smacked in the face by your own rigid wiener ;3 ;3 ;3

If you fuck with me, the police are going to have to come get me off your ass! Image
Spoiler

CANT YOU SEE MY DICK IN MY HAND, OFFICER Image

- Shinobi non Grata looks amazing! ta Stevens! -Makaimura Resurrection is very much an active target on my radar, thanks yet again mike! Will keep you posted, imma have to clear my schedule to pursue that hulking beast once more. :cool:
Sumez wrote:Seriously no buzz at all?
I'm guessing the game is a dud.
Oshi - it's on PS4? :o I'll have to investigate, thought it was PC-only. I always liked the look of it, seems a canny covers act as you say. TBH I'll go with an unadventurously faithful yet authentically affectionate covers act over a lukewarm original any day, naw mean?
EDIT: Can't figure out if this "mechanic" is a bad thing or a badass thing:
You mean the enemy missing Harry at pointblank? Looks good to me tbh. Image I always like a good cross-counter mechanic.

(see Saigo's Tale of Ryuichi, a masterclass of judicious 2 Close 4 Comfort)

Oh? You're approaching me? Image
Spoiler

In that case, come as close as you like! Image
Spoiler

Seems very Sunset-appropriate (assuming they're not outright channelling its sequel Mystic Warriors, which has CQC, IIRC? pls don't cyberbully 3; I'm saving myself for that game ;3).
Last edited by BIL on Thu May 04, 2023 9:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

BIL wrote:You mean the enemy missing Harry at pointblank? Looks good to me tbh. Image I always like a good cross-counter mechanic.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Especially if it's the game rewarding an aggressive playstyle. Hagane is similar thanks to the enemies not having contact damage, where the easiest way to dodge most attacks is to just move forward through the enemy.
In this case however it looks unintentional. The enemy itself walks up to Harry and just shoots through him. It could still end up just being unintentionally awesome though.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I wonder if that sniper was running towards a set coordinate, before firing; potentially lethal to players busy elsewhere, but handily slapped down by those nearby. As we all know, enemies in Konami and other first-rate run/guns often have a degree of intentional "blindness;" letting a skilled player maneuver around their set paths, punching discerning holes in the dragnet. It's something I really re-appreciated in GNGR, with what look like impossibly thorny enemy waves being quite negotiable, once you realise that sprinting Skeleton Murderer isn't gonna double back (or halt) to punish your neutral hop-over.

Needless to say, GNGR and other classics make sure to complement "blind runners" with enemies who are wickedly aware of your position, and will aggressively hunt you down - that design nous is what distinguishes the real masterpieces.

OFC, yeah, might just be a flub on DeathWish Enforcers' end. :mrgreen: Pondering those is par of the fun with these ~A Tribute To [X]~ affairs, imo - as long as the chassis is solid, of course! Get your fundamentals down, boyos! Image Super Cyborg's another I have to properly write up. That one got its broad strokes correct, as the FC Contra III (feat GB Contra) that never was, with only a few minor dings in my estimation. If DWE is similarly competent, I'll be happy enough.

Gotta say I love the aesthetic, if nothing else. Hard-boiled 70sSploitation is a great choice for Sunset-calibre body stacking. Anime Peckinpach meets Anime Siegel.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Price check on Cyber Police ESWAT. I've been on the fence about this one for a long time. Any opinions?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

What's the consensus on Wolf Fang: Kuuga 2001? Neat customizable shmup/run 'n gun hybrid? Slightly janky large hitbox mech game? Cool but bad Data East game?

I'm quite fond of it but it's quite tough as your hitbox feels quite large considering how close range the shots can appear. I've not got particularly fond memories of any Data East games, but this one seems very much a diamond in the rough, and the music is fantastic. I know it's 1ccable, and it feels pretty fun, even if I'm not great at it, but I'm curious if people are generally fond of it or if it gets a pass from folks.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:What's the consensus on Wolf Fang: Kuuga 2001? Neat customizable shmup/run 'n gun hybrid? Slightly janky large hitbox mech game? Cool but bad Data East game?

I'm quite fond of it but it's quite tough as your hitbox feels quite large considering how close range the shots can appear. I've not got particularly fond memories of any Data East games, but this one seems very much a diamond in the rough, and the music is fantastic. I know it's 1ccable, and it feels pretty fun, even if I'm not great at it, but I'm curious if people are generally fond of it or if it gets a pass from folks.
I've seen Aquas stream it pretty frequently. I'd ask him.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

You'll be relieved to hear I've finally put in a couple hours into Saigo no Nindou. Not really enough to really feel it out yet, it might be some years yet before I get 'round to it. Does seem one of the better wuxia games. (Now if someone made a true Xianxia game, that would be craaazy.)

E-Swat was my first exposure to the Mandela effect: I played it as a kid in the arcade, and remember the game to be a lot cooler than it is. One thing in particular I remember is credit feeding this robot panther boss that just would not die. The actual game has no such boss in it. Either the boss HP is crazy high in the higher dip settings, it was some other cyber-police game I was playing, or I've passed through a membrane into another dimension.

The game itself isn't my thing. It's one of those tiptoe games where you have low power and mastering the game doesn't make it any faster to beat. Low speed, low jump power, limited ammo, two inches of screen real estate until it starts to scroll, giant hit box; you know the stuff. The game's easy, so they had to cripple your avatar to make it not-easy. It's like driving a car while slamming on the brakes every couple seconds, imo.

I put it in the SEGA content hose pipeline kind of stuff; better than Altered Beast, but still more flash than substance.

Of course I'd rather play $0 vampire survivor knockoffs, check out the RSRKMF/shmup scene there, maybe make some shitty games so some internet nerd can tell me I suck in the comments.

E-Swat has to be someone's favorite game out there. But I'd be banking on it being more about imprinting and nostalgia than its own merits, which is something other people can't quantify.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Nice take on E-swat.

I played if a lot when it was first released cause that's what you did back then, but it's not even a poor man's Shinobi.

It's pretty bad.
My lord, I have come for you.
Meriscan

Post by Meriscan »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:What's the consensus on Wolf Fang: Kuuga 2001?
Data East games in general are very hit or miss for me, but Wolf Fang seems pretty great to me! It keeps up a great pace, and I like a lot of the customization and different routes. That one mode that makes you play through all the stages at once (Darius Gaiden Extra style) seems like it would be pretty overwhelming. But this is a game I used to play regularly and it gets two thumbs up from me.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I've put a lot of time in Wolf Fang this week, even considered picking up the PCB.

Alas, I really wanted to like it, but my love affair with Wolf Fang I think has ended. There's way too much jank that surfaces the more you play it. The little popcorn enemies are incredibly dangerous. The grenade and laser are really lacking in spread which causes some serious problems if you try to main them, and god help you if you accidentally grab one mid-stage.

I also found I hated that you can't dash backwards while firing forward. The game doesn't seem responsive either if you quickly stop firing then try to turn + dash the opposite direction. There's like a 3 frame turning animation where you can't dash (?).

The concept, the aesthetics, and the music are all great, but I keep finding myself getting hit by stuff I simply can't see. That cliché about people not being able to see what hit them in a bullet hell game is bunk, but here it's very real at times. It can be hard to tell if an enemy came up behind and pile bunkered you or you got shot at pointblank range. You also only get a measly 1 life back for beating each stage instead of a full health refill, which doesn't help matters when learning the game as every hit taken is a a hit wasted for later when the game really ramps up. It looks like you can memorize a lot of stuff like how enemies move and their shot timing, but the game really demands memorizing enemy appearances to succeed. Enemies can also attack from offscreen; I've lost track of the number of times I've failed to kill a larger mech, only for it to go offscreen and suddenly rush in and melee me from behind. The Electrigger will block shots, but won't stop you from eating a pile bunker in your spine.

Enemies rapidly converge on you from all sides, but you don't have the mobility, powerful spread, or rapid directional attacks you do in Deathsmiles, Raiga Strato Fighter, Rolling Gunner, etc, and no warning icons for when enemies are approaching. You also have a massive hitbox (especially with hover legs). It's a game that I desperately want to like because I love everything about it, aside from the gameplay itself. :p

Oh well. It's actually pretty fun in 2 player when I had the opportunity to try it because the extra firepower actually feels like it balances out better, but I'm not enjoying this as much as I initially was in single player. :/
o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Anyone ever venture a no-kill (except necessary) run with these kinds of games? Just tried it Super C. Didn't get very far, of course, but I'm curious now for which game this might be doable.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Pacifist runs is a pretty popular speedrun category for Ninja Gaiden itself.
velo

Post by velo »

Does anybody know where I can find a clean simple list of all the hidden chest locations in Ghouls 'n' Ghosts?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I think it's permanently ingrained into my spinal cord, but if I tried to list them here from memory, I'd probably forget a couple.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Black Finger JET

New upcoming run'n'gun game from the actual people who made the actual original Metal Slug games.
Not something I'd expected to ever see, but I'll VERY GLADLY take it!!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2415 ... inger_JET/

Image Image
drauch

Post by drauch »

Dude. Hell yeah. I see some of these new projects, and while they look good, I'm always so reserved I don't get excited. But seeing that little dude running I'm getting rock hawd over here.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BIL

Post by BIL »

Fuuuck. Meeher, Akio, and Hiya are the only team I wanted back together even more than Owaku, Ito, and Sato, and the former are a hell of a lot more niche. Miracles still happen Image
Air Master Burst

If I wasn't still painfully erect from the Predator/Commando discussion this would absolutely get me there.

JUST HOOK IT TO MY VEINS
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Cyber Citizen Shockman was added to the Switch recently. Anyone played it? Impressions?
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Video game art is actually rather cursed on the whole. Because you want to have an angled view of a torso (it looks cooler), which is in conflict with the entity's (and reality's) desire to walk directly forward, you get a lot of pretzel spine. There's also a huge problem with using the far away hand for attacks; having it pass through the front of a torso muddles everything and looks like crap, so you have to pretzel twist in the opposite direction to have a cool-looking animation.

Arthur's Ghouls n' Ghosts' run cycle is a beautiful example of all this. You generally only remember the extreme ends of this with either leg extended because they intentionally linger longer on those... but those in-betweens, man. If you pay too close attention to them all, it's kind of like a ball of trash rolling down the stage. Tumbleweed knight.

I hadn't really noticed this until a couple months ago when I started making some janky sprites again...