Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Air Master Burst

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by Air Master Burst »

Does M2 just not want to compete with emulation? I will throw money at anything they release on PC. Their Darius ports run pretty much flawless on Steam, so I know they CAN do it.
Steven wrote: I was hoping that it would be Dash Yarou so we can brainwash the whole world into playing Dash Yarou,
I love Rally Bike! Are there any significant version differences between regions?
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Air Master Burst wrote:
Steven wrote: I was hoping that it would be Dash Yarou so we can brainwash the whole world into playing Dash Yarou,
I love Rally Bike! Are there any significant version differences between regions?
You can toggle the region using the DIP switches on the board; my PCB is actually a US Rally Bike, bought from another member here, but I have the DIPs set to Dash Yarou, and as far as I know they are completely identical outside of the title screen.

It is a really cool game, though, and the PCBs are generally very cheap (for an arcade PCB from a famous developer, anyway) at around $100 USD or so, so anyone who wants a good cheap Toaplan PCB should definitely look into getting this game. Shit, I think I am going to go play it right now!
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Sumez wrote:
Sima Tuna wrote:My only "complaint" about Final Vendetta is it's a bit of a shame the devs couldn't add more "flash" to the game before its launch. Y'know, so the fuckin' normies would buy it. I only bought it because of a sale + word of mouth here. If it had that Shredder's Revenge pixel game then maybe some friggin' game journos would have rated it higher. :lol:
Yeah, I really want to play Final Vendetta, but nothing about it is especially appealing just from how it looks. It's trying to be a generic beat'em up, which is admirable, but it looks the part a little too well. Streets of Rage 2 is the most genericest of beat'em ups, and it still looks really appealing.
I'm hoping they'll take the Neo Geo release as a chance to add some new pizazz, but it sounds unlikely.
At least the soundtrack is a goddamn banger!
Do it. Play the game. It LOOKS generic. It LOOKS like a game some dude made in his basement with recycled assets. But it's not. It plays like a fucking dream. It plays so well that only the toppest tier of beat em ups can compare.
Air Master Burst

Sima Tuna wrote: Do it. Play the game. It LOOKS generic. It LOOKS like a game some dude made in his basement with recycled assets. But it's not. It plays like a fucking dream. It plays so well that only the toppest tier of beat em ups can compare.
Good game, but not enough there to be near the top tier. More enemy variety and a better hard mode would be a good start. Most of the bosses are kinda pushovers. Still in the running for GOTY last year, because what else even was there besides Shredder's Revenge?

It's also MUCH prettier in motion than the screenshots make it look. I still contend that if it ever gets that physical Neo Geo release it will officially take the title for best belt-scroller on the system (which granted isn't saying much but still).
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'm kind of holding out for the MVS version... once they do their annual black friday price drops. I know it's ridiculous, but I'll pay good money for an actually good brawler on Neo Geo for my cabinet.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Air Master Burst wrote:Does M2 just not want to compete with emulation? I will throw money at anything they release on PC. Their Darius ports run pretty much flawless on Steam, so I know they CAN do it.
This is (probably) the answer why according to ShouTime, one of the most well-known person around here and also EXA Arcadia CEO:
Air Master Burst

It's not like Steam is the only option for PC but I get it.

Plus there's always the chance they can port these games again in a decade when everyone's Switch/PS4 is dead. The long con!

It really is a shame, though. I can't justify keeping a bunch of old consoles around anymore when emulation is future proof, plays just as well, and fits on the edge of my desk.
mikehaggar

Post by mikehaggar »

Hey Bil,

Interesting choices! For me, the hardest stages first time through were: 4, Shadow 1A, Shadow 2B, and Shadow 3. That seesaw spider room just before the end of Shadow 2B pissed me off to no end my first time through, hahaha.

All of those stages I mentioned took maybe 5-7 hours each to clear....

In terms of 1lc/speedrunning, it's really interesting to create routes because you have to make sure that you only learn to utilize magic you have going into the stage (or just after checkpoints). The magic management becomes very interesting. Though it is possible to complete the first loop without magic, I don't believe anybody has ever completed the shadow loop without magic...learning how to utilize magic during this loop is absolutely crucial! If you keep playing to try for that 1lc, I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts and experiences.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

God, I love Cyber Shadow. I replay this game a LOT.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Am I the only one who absolutely loves Sega's old arcade game Quartet? If you have not played it, you should because it's incredible.
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

Steven wrote:Am I the only one who absolutely loves Sega's old arcade game Quartet? If you have not played it, you should because it's incredible.
My first exposure to that game was at a pool hall for teens back in the late 80's, or early 90's. Though most of the time all I could do was stare at the attract mode as I was a teen who didn't have a job, so rarely had money. Now and then my oldest brother would give me a couple bucks for arcade machines while he, my other brother, cousins, or friends played pool. For me it was mostly all about Mat Mania, Arkanoid, Millipede, Time Pilot, or Xevious while there, a couple times I played the cockpit version of the Atari Star Wars. Sometimes I'd play Quartet, the attract mode would catch my attention (Destroy the boss, only a key opens the door. Open the Door!), other times Elevator Action would get my attention (That's how I knew that game existed back then, since I never saw it in any other arcade).
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Steven wrote:Am I the only one who absolutely loves Sega's old arcade game Quartet? If you have not played it, you should because it's incredible.
I'm glad that's (at least the 2p version is) on Mister. I used to play it bitd.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Played the every loving shit out of the sms port as a kid. Knew where everything was in that game.
My lord, I have come for you.
Volteccer_Jack

Post by Volteccer_Jack »

https://twitter.com/FlyhighWorks/status ... 0946192387
Shinobi non Grata has a release date, next month. Super hyped. You know the game's gonna be LIT when the devs say stuff like this:
In my favorite movie "Speed," Dennis Hopper said, "A bomb that doesn't explode is meaningless.
"Don't worry about quality. I've got quantity!"
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Volteccer_Jack wrote:https://twitter.com/FlyhighWorks/status ... 0946192387
Shinobi non Grata has a release date, next month. Super hyped. You know the game's gonna be LIT when the devs say stuff like this:
In my favorite movie "Speed," Dennis Hopper said, "A bomb that doesn't explode is meaningless.
Awesome. Been waiting for this one..
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Shinobi Non Grata trailer -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMGEZBk ... ialChannel

Hey Bil - I'm not a smart man, but I'm pretty sure I spied the ninja pit at around 0:33.

Looks awesome. As already stated - CAN'T WAIT
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

This Shinobi is very grata ..

The "ninja pit" had some guys spinning with tridents or pitchforks or something. lol
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Is New Adventure Island the best Adventure Island game?
I only just tried it last weekend, hooked up to an arcade cabinet via a JAMMA PC Engine even, which felt very fitting for the game's 100% arcade style approach.

I'm not a fan of where they took the second NES game, with the myriads of routes through similar-looking but different stages, requiring a lot of obscure experimentation and memorization for anyone trying to learn the game. And the two(?) metroidvania-style games are really hit and miss, not really doing anything well.
Super Adventure Island going more back to the basics did initially seem good to me, but somehow also managed to feel stale long before reaching the end.

New Adventure Island however seems like it just picks up exactly where the first Wonderboy ended, bringing back mechanics from that game, while everything that wasn't is new to this one (I think). As a result is just feels like a slightly updated version of that original game, but with a tad more variation, smoother controls, and beautiful graphics that manage to work well in spite of the massives sprites.
It's a challenging game, too, and I could easily see myself trying to go for a 1CC it over the original Wonderboy/AI.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Decided to buy the legacy collection 2 for og mega man. I heard the lag wasn't as bad as the x collection and I wanted to play some mega man 10. I really liked that one on the Wii. I wish every classic mega man game had multiple playable characters who controlled differently like 10 does. No idea if Mega Man 7 or 8 are good but I might as well try those too.
Air Master Burst

Volteccer_Jack wrote:https://twitter.com/FlyhighWorks/status ... 0946192387
Looks pretty dope. How are we all feeling about the i-frame dodge roll? I know that's a pretty divisive topic around here when it comes to 2d action.
Volteccer_Jack

Post by Volteccer_Jack »

I like that the double jump IS your air dodge. It's a simple intuitive restriction that makes me think carefully about how I use both functions.

I spend most of my time in the demo airborne, so I don't know how I feel about the grounded combat yet. You're certainly much stronger on the ground than in Ninja Spirit, but I'll have to see what sort of ground-focused sections the full game throws at you.
"Don't worry about quality. I've got quantity!"
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Sumez wrote:Is New Adventure Island the best Adventure Island game?
In my experience, yes. Super was pretty cool in its time, but the physics haven't held up so well on either SNES Adventure Island. Hudson also got some really wild sounds out of the PCE sound chip on that one.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I completely forgot about Deathwish Enforcers (somewhat amateurish, but well-meaning looking SunsetRidersLike). Looks like it came out last week. Did anyone take a plunge and try it?

Steven

Post by Steven »

Did anyone besides me get Afterimage? For some reason I backed it on Kickstarter, although I don't really know why. I have only played it for about 2 hours, but it's good so far, I guess, and it looks really nice in most instances. I heard the Switch version is kind of bad due to performance problems, so probably best to stay away from that version for now.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I'm afraid to ask but it's in this thread after all - can you play it with a digital controller?
Steven

Post by Steven »

You mean Afterimage? Yeah sure. I'm playing with keyboard and that's as digital as possible.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Right, thanks. Glad to know.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I am playing on PC, of course, so I don't know about the console versions and what they support. I doubt they will let you use a keyboard, but I do know that Xbox Series does apparently let you play some games with mouse + keyboard, which is both pretty awesome and fairly rare for a console to do. I don't know if this game is even on Xbox, but if it is, maybe it lets you play that way.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I'm looking forward to play it with an arcade stick actually, but yeah, Windows version and not any time son anyway.
Steven

Post by Steven »

You probably won't have enough buttons on an arcade stick to play the game; I plugged in my RAP N and it does work, but you need to use the d-pad, the left analog stick, and almost every button aside from L3 and R3, so even with the RAP N I don't have enough buttons to map everything.