Any decent video replays of this game?
saucykobold

Re: Shienryu / Gekioh

Post by saucykobold »

This low-rank first loop clear was all I could find: part 1, part 2
Mills

Post by Mills »

Yeah that was pretty much what most of us had to do tactically to go for the distance as opposed to highscore.
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Just got this game after seeing how it plays in MAME (unintended slowdown, bullets behind enemy sprites). This is great fun, luckily a lot easier than Daioh it seems.

Battletoad - 5,807,070 - 1-6-? - PS2

Risked a high-rank play and got this. Am I doing something wrong? This is only my 2nd credit on the PS2.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Am I doing something wrong?

-->
Risked a high-rank play and got this.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Good one. :lol:
Was just wondering. I mean that I'm so high in the scoreboard after a few plays. Plus in Daioh I would never have gotten to stage 6 so fast with collecting every kinds of stuff. Rank and/or general difficulty is a lot milder here. Still a problem, so I'll keep it low from now on, don't worry.
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Battletoad - 7,011,610 - 1-7-6 - PS2

Almost to the last stage.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Dunpeal2064 - 6,061,990 - 1-6-8 - Saturn.

This game gets crazy!
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

I almost doubled my previous highscore with my latest attempt. :lol: Been playing Shienruy again for a few days and it really paid off:

Battletoad - 13,004,730 - 2-5-1 - PS2

Finally 1CCed after some hard struggles. (The previous run ended mercilessly in stage 1-4...) I barely beat the final boss on my last life even though I gained another extend while fighting him. Didn't notice the extend, so it was a very exciting fight with lots of adrenaline! In the 2nd loop I decided to pick up every point item and risk high rank since I thought I wouldn't get that far anyway. Somehow I still was lucky enough to get to 2-3 without any further misses and even to get to 2-5 after a few more luck dodges.

Now back to Homura!

By the way: Kollision's awesome 14 million score still isn't on the board (see bottom of page 2).

EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Posting a personal best in Shienryu. Nothing compared to the last few posts, but here's to hoping I get the first loop clear soon!

EmperorIng - 5,948,530 - 1-7-5 - SAT

So, you shouldn't be picking up score chips in order to keep rank down? From what I've gathered, high bomb count (and chip collecting) really affect rank. This will be good to know as I nudge closer to the clear.
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

Got lucky on this one. Stage 3 dropped an extend right after I got the score extend.

Zeether - 4,284,480 - STV

<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
NERDtendo

Post by NERDtendo »

Just started getting into some Shienryu. Here is my score so far...

NERDtendo - 2,070,840 - 1-3-5 - STV

Stompp

Post by Stompp »

finally got around to play this. Every bit as fun as I expected :D Adding my meager score to the list :oops:

Stompp - 3,202,870 - 1-4-2 - STV

Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Non-PS1 version

Perikles - 24,431,390 - ALL - MAME Plus 0.168

Video

Spending time with Daioh helps a lot for Shienryu, the nastier sections in particular are very similar. Would've been better not to die so many cringeworthy deaths on the final boss in the second loop, then again I got very fortunate with all the extends and shan't complain. I'm pretty sure the emulation and the speed are accurate, please tell me if you spot something weird (outside of graphical irregularities and the fact that a small section from the right side of the screen is missing for some reason; doesn't happen while you play...).

Great game as well, by the way, I'm sure that friends of moreso modern games will also enjoy it what with the higher bullet count and slower speed compared to Daioh.
andsuchisdeath

Post by andsuchisdeath »

andsuchisdeath - 8,870,410 - 2-1-3 - SAT

Spoiler
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Two years later, I can say I finally managed to clear the game!

EmperorIng - 13,245,480 - 2-5-1 - SAT

I have to give a little bit of props to Perikles' 2ALL video - though I have to say I am disappointed at the somewhat... inelegant solution to stage 5's final gauntlet of powerful ground enemies and their annoying bullet spreads (starting at 16:40 in the video) :wink: . Essentially, save your bombs for that point I guess! Staying in the middle will let most of the side enemies bullets miss you - but only if you stay still. Thus the turrets in the middle try to force you into their bullets, or someone else's. In that case, bombs away!

Despite little hiccups like that, they provided a few hints to help a brother out, like a decent path through stage 6's tricky larger ship barrage, or aggressively point-blanking the final boss's shoulders - although the Saturn port's max rate of fire is much less than MAME, which made this strategy a bit more dicey and more reliant on bombs.

I was on edge during the entire final boss, because I had choked yesterday playing against it with two lives in stock. I was so mad I was ready to hurl that expensive disc across the room. :oops: The easiest part to mess up, for me, is actually the fast, close spread it shoots when you destroy both of its arms. Despite being a simple pattern, its largeness can visually overwhelm you, and if you are too far to the side, hitbox confusion can lead to a messy death. The lack of respawn for the boss certainly doesn't help!

The second loop, surprisingly, wasn't much harder, outside of the initial shock of the first stage (and the boss's now minuscule cool-down between laser blasts!). Despite a stupid death in 2-3 (which happily lowered rank), the game proceeded normally, until I stupidly ran into one of the bullets from the octopus ship at the beginning of stage 5. Had I survived that I think I could have pushed through respectably, at least until the end of the stage.

One thing I have to call the game out on, which I found bad even years ago: the octopus boss of stage 3. Few shootemups that are this long can afford to have a boss so soul-crushingly boring as this one, especially with an HP pool that must be more than the game's other 5 lesser bosses combined. I have found no way of making this fight go any faster, as the tentacles easily absorb the brunt of your offense. So what are you left with? Boss shoots, tap left; boss shoots, tap right; boss shoots, tap left; boss shoots, tap right. I will kid you not when I say that I have dozed off to this boss on runs, and sometimes it didn't matter because my muscle memory kept me alive while my eyes drooped shut. What a terribly dull misfire in a game that is otherwise filled with interesting and unique enemies (the highlight boss being the "boxing ship" that attempts to punch you out of the sky).

All in all Shienryu is a great shooter. It feels like a better extension of older Toaplan games than some of Toaplan's own later games (e.g. Twin Cobra II or Tatsujin Ou).

EDIT:

Interest glitch in Saturn port of Shienryu:

During my failed practice run, I soft-reset the game during the credits sequence (ABC+Start). When I started immediately afterward, the Stage 1 BGM was replaced by the credits! I thought it was kinda neat rolling through stage 1 with the moody synth-sax midi playing in the background. However, no other tracks would play, forcing me to fight the boss in eerie silence. I could only get the music back by turning off the system and restarting. Must be a weird glitch of how the Saturn streams the music data off the disc (instead of playing redbook tracks).
Kino

Post by Kino »

Last edited by Kino on Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Non-PS1
Despatche - 3,901,850 - 1-5-1 - MAME

4-1 took me from no miss to no lives remaining somehow. Managed to get through Daioh.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Kino

Post by Kino »

Spoiler
Kino - 11,945,260 - 2-3-5 (11-5) - SAT

recorded the first loop of the clear i might post it on my instagram later if y'all wanna check it out idk why u would wanna lol there's better 紫炎龍 vids out there for sure that being said i got to the final boss on my last life and praise haile selassie the flashy P-icon decided to make an appearance so that almost qualifies as quote clutch unquote edit as promised here be my snapchatdidn't record the second loop cuz i was on my last life n shit n figured i'd get generated immediately plus my h-drive was running low on gigaram so that was a factor as well in my decision would like to apologize to my teammates this year in stgt for blowing off last resort for shienryu but this is a wayyyyy better game than last resort guys be real lol can ya blame a fella viewpoint i coulda gotten down w/ hopefully alex picks that one next year/week/decade again apologies to the captain no disrespect and new guy im not too familiar with you but u seem chill i should prolly go for the two-all there's a distinct lack of two-alls on this board also before i forget scoreboard manager you might wanna consider changing it so that we denote second loops with merely two sets of numbers i.e. 11-5 instead of e.g. 2-3-5 (just as an example) because that one extra keystroke i would imagine is a son of a bitch for the denizens of shmupsforum who are afflicted with carpal tunnel syndrome and a little empathy goes a long way on this crazy carousel ride we call 'life'... wouldn't you agree?

anywho, toodles! ^_~

XoXoXoXoXoXoXo

~ KiNO
phase3

Post by phase3 »

Non-PS1 Version
phase3 - 6,629,640 - 1-7-5 - PS2
Spoiler
contributing to help incentivize improving some of my scores this year.

i love this game. it's how a raiden game must feel if designed by late-era toaplan but with a unique style and aesthetic that's all it's own.
its many homages have an affectionate charm not unlike taito's gekirindan: a tender love-letter to toaplan and stgs.

the game is pleasantly polished as well. really nice water effects on the second boss, the shrapnel and debris flying around... the sense of depth and being at great heights it can evoke when felled craft can be watched as they fall apart and descend hundreds of miles back to earth is all very satisfying. furthermore, the use of color throughout the game's two acts is fantastic.
i particularly admire the tatsujin/truxton influence in the game's second act. much like it's inspiration, the challenging checkpoint system feels natural and better rewards skilled play. the bullet patterns and behavior is very satisfying to successfully counter.

working on getting a 1-all. so far i've been having a blast.

edit: update, beat score only an hour after posting
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

Third_strike - 29,547,800 - ALL - WolfMaMe
Last boss (Shienryu) is the hell in earth with your crazy speed light bullets straight in your nose and restarting the stage when you get hit
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

That's crazy fast for an all! This thread is dead unfortunately, but Kino maintains a new thread here! https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1293021
The mods just never updated the index.
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

Zach Keene still seems active, his last update was on Apr 01, 2019 while Kino's was on Sep 28, 2018. Now I'm doubt! It would be nice a new mod here. We need request this to System11.

Edit:
Third_strike - 30,243,170 - ALL - WolfMaMe

This is a simple game, but so brutal!
The first time I saw Shienryu (this the last boss's name) I hated this guy. The way like he killed me with his extremely fast patterns, right in my face, without giving me a chance and always, always keeping that sinister smile on his face, a smile that wouldn't leave there even if by chance I removed an arm from him. This week I decided to put hostility aside and get to know him better. After talking with him, he revealed many things to me. Now I know that Shienryu is doing a work on me.
Shienryu is making a garden out of me.
I'm under construction.
Shienryu is teaching me, I am learning.
Shienryu is patient with me, he is my father, he is my teacher.
I'm small, Shienryu is big.
I am fragile, but Shienryu is strong.
I am His, I give up.
I am His, and I surrender.
Shienryu is still bulding me up.
And day by day, I'm growing.
Shienryu is still shaping me up.
:lol:
Last edited by third_strike on Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wiNteR

Post by wiNteR »

How do you compare the difficulty of this game with gunbird-1?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

man, Shienryu 2all is way more brutal than anything Gunbird can do.

Congrats on the 2ALL third_strike! Did you mean 30 million?

Did you know you can kind of misdirect the giant spread the boss does when the screen zooms out? But that's probably not the attack that gave you the most trouble. I just bombed until enough parts were destroyed!
third_strike wrote:Zach Keene still seems active, his last update was on Apr 01, 2019 while Kino's was on Sep 28, 2018. Now I'm doubt! It would be nice a new mod here. We need request this to System11.
Agreed!
third_strike wrote: Shienryu is patient with me, he is my father, he is my teacher.
I'm small, Shienryu is big.
:lol: :lol:
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

wiNteR wrote:How do you compare the difficulty of this game with gunbird-1?
I think they are two very different games. Gunbird is a more complex game and has more to learn when playing by score. Playing to survive you can get Marion or erase all, in addition to not killing enemies to avoid suicide bullets. Shienryu is a simpler game playing to score. But even to survive it will be necessary to learn how to kill Shienryu (the last boss) with lightning in the first loop to get lives, because 2-7 is a brutal stage. The stage relies on a lot of bombs (which you may or may not get, depending on your luck, at the start of this stage). Even so, you will certainly die many times in this stage, especially in the big enemies at the end of the stage. Bisonte, this stage's boss, is invincible for a good part of the early part of the fight and will take some lives and bombs without taking damage. In other words, at this stage you are just defensive. Just killing Shienryu in the second loop is doable (you can use the standard shot and bombs for that), but killing him with lightning is another level. Only for note, one time which rank ups so much it never return to it was before, but some times you will need make choices, even pick deadly P, to take a chance. And, laser is the best wepon of game until 2-6's boss but it is imprevisible since you have not total control over it. There is other nut things out your control in this game.
In summary, in Gunbird you can always try to find a solution (some simpler some more complex) in Shienryu it will not always be possible and you will need to count on the luck factor.
Congrats on the 2ALL third_strike! Did you mean 30 million?
Yes :oops:
Thanks!!!
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

Third_strike - 42,400,690 - ALL - WolfMaMe 0.251
1st loop was really bad! Then in 2nd loop I picked each single special P in my way. Reached Shienryu with 2 lives and beat it with lightning. After this I got really exhausted because this is nuts. I guess which I don't want do this again.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

insane score! You have to keep some motivation for that spring relay next week though! :twisted:
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

EmperorIng wrote:insane score! You have to keep some motivation for that spring relay next week though! :twisted:
Well, I will try my best, thanks!

Third_strike - 47,557,990 - ALL (Lx12) - WolfMaMe 0.251

Edit:
Third_strike - 48,783,780 - ALL (Lx13) - WolfMaMe 0.251

Better put number of lives left I guess. Got this one day before relay. 1st loop was bad.

Edit:
Third_strike - 50,786,980 - ALL (Lx15) - WolfMaMe 0.251

1 Galo!
No much time left to me play latelly, but at least I did it. End line to me :wink:

Only for note: I did a run last weekend where I lost 15 lives in a row to Shienryu. This was one of the most shocking things I've ever experienced. This happened because I had taken too many bombs in 2-7 and the shienryu patterns got too fast. This time there weren't many bombs in 2-7 (even in 1-7), so even nervous I could clearly see the patterns of shienryu and send him to hell.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Man this guy is a machine lol :mrgreen:

How did things go with your arcade stick? Get everything sorted out?