Capcom Beat Em Up Bundle / Belt Action Collection

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: Capcom Beat Em Up Bundle / Belt Action Collection

Post by BIL »

Haha, I'd completely forgotten all the GIFFed-up posts I'd made ITT, just up the previous page. Blimey. Love the hooker-through-phonebooth dropkick. :cool:

(ironically, despite my quoting Ace Combat 5's superb tagline re command response, Namco's late 80s PCBs seemed to have quite a bit of native input lag - as we've discussed in the ACA general thread)

Eight frames for PS4 BAC Final Fight did sound extreme to me, too - and still does, offhand. But one thing has revised my opinion slightly: The Lord Of King. I'd instantly noticed something was up while roadtesting TEH ROMZ, prior to its ACA release. Indeed, ShmupMAME reported 5f startup lag on attack - and this in a hack designed to cheekily shave down lag. Newest vanilla MAME gave same result. The PS4 ACA version feels identical to me.

Lordy is a relatively easy arcade game, but a one life clear is still pretty tight. At the time, I noted that the lag wasn't gamebreaking, but did necessitate a little more concentration than the otherwise easygoing difficulty would've.

Anyway, revisited it in ShmupMAME earlier this year, and noticed that besides the 5F on attack, it gave something like a whopping 12f on walk startup. I'm gonna check that today, just in case I'm exaggerating, but it was definitely a big old chunk on top of that 5f. I recall assuming that it was partially an artistic choice (big beefy barbarian bro in bikini armour takes a sec to move), partially code.

So now, I could see a game that feels acceptable turning in higher input lag numbers than I might expect. At this point, I do most of my oldschool arcade gaming via M2/Hamster and the odd chancers like BAC, Stadium and SNK40th. For sanity's sake, pending scientific testing, I file 'em as follows:

1st tier: feels great, no noticeable delay. (ShotTriggers and ACA consistently land here; if something has lag, it almost certainly did on PCB too)
2nd tier: can notice a bit of delay, but nothing insurmountable with practice. (I've gotten this from PS4 Capcom Arcade Stadium)
3rd tier: annoyingly laggy. (the PS4 version of Metal Slug XX feels like the characters are wearing lead boots)

Anything from the third tier down, I just won't bother with. I had a wonderful time one-lifing all the Neo Metal Slugs via PS4 ACA, just like I did on MVS (MS1/X/3). Firing up PS4 MSXX, I want to love all the content, but the series' gorgeous handling is spoiled. I almost wonder if its simply a laggy PSP emulator, tbh... regardless, for me, the pleasure of hard action gaming is 99.9% in the response. I'll put up with a helluva lot, as long as the control is tight (see SNK40th, a woefully buggy, glitchy product that squeaks by on decent response and a killer lineup).
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Oh god Metal Slug XX on PS4 is chunky. It appears to have baked in additional lag in co-op too. As if they wanted to emulate the PSP’s laggy adhoc experience.

After my post I had an epiphany of sorts. Final Fight does feel considerably tighter than say Armored Warriors or Battle Circuit. Maybe it’s a simple case of CPS2 emulation being ever so slightly more demanding, adding in a couple of extra frames. It’s been nearly 30 years since I’ve played Armored Warriors on a cab, so there’s no way to compare the feel today with those old memories. Anyway, even then it’s not unplayable and I’ve been able to replicate tactics from old 1CC run videos I’ve watched.

Thanks for the replies. If anyone is interested in co-op on PS4, let me know. I would also like to test a few things with regard to regional matchmaking and the Japanese release.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I haven't tried the PS4 version, but the Xbox 360 version of XX has one of those ugly hi-res filters with, IIRC, no option to turn it off.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

I think the 360 version is also 60fps while all other versions are 30fps. I’m not sure if it’s frame doubling, or if the engine was designed to run that way and the frame rate was capped in other releases.

Edit: I stand corrected on this. Apparently the footage I watched was frame doubled. MSXX is indeed native 30fps on all platforms.
Last edited by ExitPlanetDust on Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cfx

Post by cfx »

The PS4 version of this collection is currently on sale for ¥974 for a couple more days on the Japanese PS Store, and as such I have some questions.

I am only interested in Final Fight and Battle Circuit. Years ago I owned CPS2 Armored Warriors, and I've played the others in the collection and don't care for them.

As such, I was planning on buying just the Capcom Arcade Stadium versions of Final Fight and Battle Circuit, but with this sale price the collection is only slightly more expensive. Reading this thread, I am getting the impression that this version of Final Fight is considered better than the Arcade Stadium version. Is that correct; has anyone compared them?

If there is no real difference I will stick with the two separate games, but if these versions are better I'm willing to buy the collection at the sale price.

Are the scanline and scaling options equivalent to the Arcade Stadium versions as well?

I have no interest in online play, and don't have PS+ and never will, so it isn't an option anyway.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

cfx wrote:The PS4 version of this collection is currently on sale for ¥974 for a couple more days on the Japanese PS Store, and as such I have some questions.

I am only interested in Final Fight and Battle Circuit. Years ago I owned CPS2 Armored Warriors, and I've played the others in the collection and don't care for them.

As such, I was planning on buying just the Capcom Arcade Stadium versions of Final Fight and Battle Circuit, but with this sale price the collection is only slightly more expensive. Reading this thread, I am getting the impression that this version of Final Fight is considered better than the Arcade Stadium version. Is that correct; has anyone compared them?

If there is no real difference I will stick with the two separate games, but if these versions are better I'm willing to buy the collection at the sale price.

Are the scanline and scaling options equivalent to the Arcade Stadium versions as well?

I have no interest in online play, and don't have PS+ and never will, so it isn't an option anyway.
Like you, I pretty much only play Final Fight and I have both CAS and the Beat Em Up bundle, so let me try to answer this question.

First off, let me just say I cannot measure input lag. I don't have the setup for it or a good camera. By all accounts, input lag in the beltscrolling bundle is just fine. CAS input lag is usually around 5 frames when measured, aside from the occasional outlier like Giga Wing, which feels way, way laggier.

So my assumption is that the beltscrolling bundle and CAS are probably within 1-2 frames of lag of each other. That's just my guess, because I certainly can't feel any major difference between them.

But there is one important distinction between the two bundles:

The beltscrolling bundle only gives you a single save slot. CAS gives you a ton of slots. So I can state from experience that practicing Final Fight is much easier on CAS than on the Beat Em Up bundle, because you can make save states at the various sticking points of the game. Whereas on the beltscrolling bundle, you would have to train the game on a single save state. That's possible to do, but rather annoying.

CAS has more display options than the beltscrolling bundle IIRC. The beltscrolling bundle has better backgrounds though. If you're like me, you don't use any backgrounds or display options (except a very minor smoothing filter for jaggies,) in which case the difference is irrelevant.

The beltscrolling bundle has online coop, which CAS does not possess. So don't get CAS version if you want to play with other people.

In summary, just based on my play time in both versions of Final Fight, I would say the CAS version is conditionally superior for single play practice. The beat em up bundle is the version you want for online play. However! I must reiterate I have not lag-tested the two versions. If one of the versions has extra lag then that version is obviously inferior.

I started out playing FF on CAS, then bought the beat em up bundle and played on that for a while. Then I switched back to CAS when I realized the beat em up bundle only had a single savestate and its smoothing options were the same or inferior to CAS. If there's anyone on this forum who has both versions and has 1cc'd one or both, I'd love to hear their input.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Thanks for the info.

I don't think I'm very sensitive to lag, so as long as it's in that kind of range I am sure I can live in blissful ignorance. :D

I remembered that Shmup Junkie had lag tests for CAS in his videos, but he didn't test Final Fight or the other beat-em-ups. Still as you say he got around 5 frames on most of the games he tested other than a few that were worse. His tests were the Switch versions though too and I don't know if they're the same or a bit worse like seems to be common on Switch.

I generally turn off the backgrounds so that doesn't really matter. I only have one CAS game so far, Strider, and I've been using the D filter setting, which is scanlines + blur.

I didn't even think about saves; that's certainly in favor of CAS. So I think I will stick with my original plan of buying the CAS Final Fight and Battle Circuit rather than this collection.

The one and only time I think I have ever noticed lag was I tried to play the PS2 Minna no Golf 4 deinterlaced via a DVDO Duo, converted back to component with an Extron box, and displayed on a JVC DTV-1710CG. That lagged enough that I couldn't get accurate control of the golf clubs because the meter and the input were too far off. But it's fine now on an LCD with the Retrotink 5X.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I heard the Capcom Fighting Collection has low lag on all platforms with Xbox Series and PC having the least and PS4/PS5 having the most. PS5 has less lag at 1080p than 4k, though. It has similar menus to the beat 'em up collection. I also heard the CAS2 counterparts of the games on PS5 have more lag than the fighting collection versions.
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

Can confirm that the belt-scroller collection runs great on PC, if there is any lag I'm not noticing it at all.
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

BrianC wrote:I heard the Capcom Fighting Collection has low lag on all platforms with Xbox Series and PC having the least and PS4/PS5 having the most. PS5 has less lag at 1080p than 4k, though. It has similar menus to the beat 'em up collection. I also heard the CAS2 counterparts of the games on PS5 have more lag than the fighting collection versions.
That sucks. I assumed that the PS4 version of Fighting Collection would be less laggy than the Switch version as was the case with Belt Scroller.

I wonder what is going on with PS4/5 and inputlag recently :/

Is the PS4 version of Fighting Collection at least playable enough?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Konsolkongen wrote: Is the PS4 version of Fighting Collection at least playable enough?
It's still like 4 or 5 frames, so it's not unplayable. It also has less lag in 1080p.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

But less shimmer in 4K I would assume :)

At least playing with an arcade stick doesn’t add additional lag like on the Switch. If I remember correctly Death Smiles is 4 frames on PS4 and that’s reasonably playable, so I guess it’s not too bad :)