Taito HEY Akihabara Tokyo meetup in December 2022

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
Frenetic

Taito HEY Akihabara Tokyo meetup in December 2022

Post by Frenetic »

Gauging interest in this. Who is gonna be in Tokyo and what dates? Please post in this thread!
Steven

Re: Taito HEY Akihabara Tokyo meetup in December 2022

Post by Steven »

Well, that place is like 25 minutes away from my house, so yeah. I was just there on Sunday, and they have 1941 Counter Attack, R-Type, R-Type II, R-Type Leo, Darius, Darius II, Dariusburst EX, V-V, Tatsujin Ou, Thunder Dragon 2, Battle Garegga, Dogyuun!!, a bunch of CAVE stuff, Radiant Silvergun, RayForce, RayStorm, RayCrisis, and a lot more other things.
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

Pleased to meet ya! Thanks so much for the list of games currently there. I've gotten a reply from trap15 so that's makes three of us. Anymore interested?

--the F-man
Steven wrote:Well, that place is like 25 minutes away from my house, so yeah. I was just there on Sunday, and they have 1941 Counter Attack, R-Type, R-Type II, R-Type Leo, Darius, Darius II, Dariusburst EX, V-V, Tatsujin Ou, Thunder Dragon 2, Battle Garegga, Dogyuun!!, a bunch of CAVE stuff, Radiant Silvergun, RayForce, RayStorm, RayCrisis, and a lot more other things.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Sure. I typically work on Saturdays, but I have so many leave days saved up that my company is forcing me to take a bunch of leave, so I might be able to do it on a Saturday depending on how busy work is and if they need me. Sundays are probably best.

I forgot to mention it before, but for anyone who has never been to Taito Hey before, BRING HEADPHONES. It's super loud in there and you almost certainly will not be able hear the game you are playing at all, but each of the cabinets has a headphone jack and a volume adjustment thingy on it. They have headphones there for people to use, but I'd rather use my own, especially with the potential risk of coronavirus from borrowed headphones. I'm sure they disinfect them, but they do just set them out on a rack in the middle of the arcade, so yeah.

BTW I'm complete garbage and the only arcade STGs I can actually clear are Slap Fight, Hishouzame, and 2P Same! Same! Same!, so you'll get to see how terrible I am in person lol
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

Looks like the Taito HEY meetup will be on Saturday, December 24th. Hope you can request the day off Steven!

Anybody else coming?
Steven

Post by Steven »

I should be okay. I will ask my boss in a few hours when I go to work.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I'll be in Akiba in August and willing to meet up, especially if you know some good places to buy some games.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Damn, didn't get a chance to ask my boss since we were both pretty busy. I'm off tomorrow, but I'll ask on Thursday.
neorichieb1971 wrote:I'll be in Akiba in August and willing to meet up, especially if you know some good places to buy some games.
lol good places in Akiba to buy games means basically just Trader, BEEP, and Surugaya. Pretty much everywhere else is a ripoff, although Super Potato is actually not too bad these days. Still regret not picking up that CIB SFC Akumajou Dracula they had in there for 4000 yen 2 years ago. Just stay far away from Mandarake since that place's prices are completely insane, although they do have the biggest (and most expensive) AES selection in town. Anyway, I will be here.

BTW probably should make a new thread, but is anyone else going to see U-Brand in Numabukuro next month? Don't miss that event if you love Toaplan.
Liquidus0

Post by Liquidus0 »

Steven wrote:Damn, didn't get a chance to ask my boss since we were both pretty busy. I'm off tomorrow, but I'll ask on Thursday.
neorichieb1971 wrote:I'll be in Akiba in August and willing to meet up, especially if you know some good places to buy some games.
lol good places in Akiba to buy games means basically just Trader, BEEP, and Surugaya. Pretty much everywhere else is a ripoff, although Super Potato is actually not too bad these days. Still regret not picking up that CIB SFC Akumajou Dracula they had in there for 4000 yen 2 years ago. Just stay far away from Mandarake since that place's prices are completely insane, although they do have the biggest (and most expensive) AES selection in town. Anyway, I will be here.

Last time I went in 2020, I still could find some good deals on SFC, PCE and Saturn at Mandarake, especially for some items that were Grade B or C but still in top condition. Even found some good deals at Friends back then.

Steven wrote:BTW probably should make a new thread, but is anyone else going to see U-Brand in Numabukuro next month? Don't miss that event if you love Toaplan.
Sadly, I'll miss that event and the dec 24th meet. I'll be in Tokyo and roam around from Feb 1st to 21st. Can't wait to go back. I'll be going to JAEPO for sure.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Liquidus0 wrote:
Steven wrote:Damn, didn't get a chance to ask my boss since we were both pretty busy. I'm off tomorrow, but I'll ask on Thursday.

Last time I went in 2020, I still could find some good deals on SFC, PCE and Saturn at Mandarake, especially for some items that were Grade B or C but still in top condition. Even found some good deals at Friends back then.
If you can find something at both Mandarake and anywhere else in town, Mandarake will almost always have the highest price, even if the game is in worse condition at Mandarake and in better condition in the other store(s). You can find good prices on rare occasions, but in general I avoid the place entirely unless I can't find what I am looking for anywhere else. Friends is a nice store, but the selection is quite limited, especially for Mega Drive, and they downsized earlier this year, too, so it's gotten even smaller recently. Good prices for what they do have in general, though. Retro Game Camp closed their downstairs store a few years ago, too.
Liquidus0 wrote:
Steven wrote:BTW probably should make a new thread, but is anyone else going to see U-Brand in Numabukuro next month? Don't miss that event if you love Toaplan.
Sadly, I'll miss that event and the dec 24th meet. I'll be in Tokyo and roam around from Feb 1st to 21st. Can't wait to go back. I'll be going to JAEPO for sure.
I'm attempting to go see BUMP OF CHICKEN on the second day of JAEPO lol. Tickets for BUMP are always stupidly hard to get and I seem to have used up all of my luck 7 years ago when I got quite literally front row center stage at their 20th anniversary live. I will be here, though.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I have the day off on the 24th and I will be there. What is the plan?
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

I was thinking meet up at Taito Hey at 11am, play for a bit and get lunch?
Steven

Post by Steven »

Already sent PM, but yes, 1100 is good for me.
minion

Post by minion »

Any interest in me kicking off a thread for '2nd annual' Dec 2023 Akiba HEY meetup?
Steven

Post by Steven »

I'm always looking for excuses to go there. I'd avoid scheduling it on the 9th, though; there will be a Toaplan event on that day that I'm already scheduled to go to. The other Saturdays in December are also not great for me since I have work and can't get to Akiba until 2000 or so. I think I my company will close for the end of the year around the 27th or so, but I don't know yet.
minion

Post by minion »

Frenetic wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:17 pm Gauging interest in this. Who is gonna be in Tokyo and what dates? Please post in this thread!
You still around? Any interest/availability in December this year?
Steven

Post by Steven »

minion wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:13 pm
Frenetic wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:17 pm Gauging interest in this. Who is gonna be in Tokyo and what dates? Please post in this thread!
Go ahead and make the thread. Maybe he'll be around, but I don't know. I'll see if I can get some people I know to come. No promises. I'll be there, though, provided I don't have work or Toaplan stuff to go do.

Last year we ended up going to Mikado as well. I haven't been to either arcade for several months, but I can go get a list of games from both. Mikado cycles games in and out semi-regularly, so there is a pretty decent chance that they'll change something, but Taito Hey usually doesn't make as many changes. Still super disappointed that they got rid of 1941 Counter Attack, though.
minion

Post by minion »

Steven wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:28 am
minion wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:13 pm
Go ahead and make the thread. Maybe he'll be around, but I don't know. I'll see if I can get some people I know to come. No promises. I'll be there, though, provided I don't have work or Toaplan stuff to go do.
Cool, will do. Is that Toaplan thing you mentioned on the 8th open to the public? I might be interested in checking it out.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I mentioned it in the other thread, but it got delayed until February or so. It is open to the public.