SNES modding question...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dave4shmups

SNES modding question...

Post by dave4shmups »

Just got my SNES in the mail today. I looked inside the cartridge port, and there were already two tabs cut away-they are the #1 and #2 tabs, as described in this guide on how to mod an SNES:

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/fil ... import.txt

Do I still need to cut off the "A" and "B" tabs?
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
superhitachi4

Post by superhitachi4 »

Nah, for those of us with U.S. SNES systems, we have it easy. With the system facing you, take a pair of needle nose pliers, push the cartridge slot open with your hand, and remove 2 tabs. (one on the left, and one on the right) After that, you're in business for Japanese imports. In your case, it sounds like someone has already done so. :)
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

superhitachi4 wrote:Nah, for those of us with U.S. SNES systems, we have it easy. With the system facing you, take a pair of needle nose pliers, push the cartridge slot open with your hand, and remove 2 tabs. (one on the left, and one on the right) After that, you're in business for Japanese imports. In your case, it sounds like someone has already done so. :)
SWEET! :D I was under the impression that you had to remove the "A" and "B" tabs.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
extrarice

Post by extrarice »

Sometimes you have to wedge a nickel between the front of the SFC game and the slot to hold it in place (for instance, if the board is loose in the cart), but other than that, it works fine.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Hmmm, Dave's link seems to have expired, so I'm not sure which tabs we're talking about. Also, does removing them cause any problems for playing domestic games?
thegreathopper

Post by thegreathopper »

professor ganson wrote: Also, does removing them cause any problems for playing domestic games?

No.
Fight war not wars
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

^^^thanks.

So are the tabs that I need to remove the two black tabs in the slot where the metal contacts (from the cartridge) slide in?
extrarice

Post by extrarice »

See http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/snescon.htm for a pic showing you where the tabs are.