Gaming channels im not too big of.

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
KimagureMachibuse

Gaming channels im not too big of.

Post by KimagureMachibuse »

Thought it would be an intersting subject to tell you guys what i think of certain gaming channels like what they did in the past and who are also to blame for the state of how things are in retro gaming these days.

Metal Jesus Rocks : is a channel im not to keen on for one thing he hardly knows most of what he talks about in his videos his co hosts no more than he does its quite unimpressive, another thing he did was being pretty responsible for jacking up the prices of games in the past. and by far the worse thing is with a number of scams he'd done to his viewers in the past like the basement leak repair fix and the RV Trip video.

My Life in gaming : I think is pretty bland but i still have some things to say like they are escentially responsible for jacking up the pricing of most if not any old school tube tv, these tv's are not worth that much on their own but them hyping up this stuff certainly does affect how much they go for online and results in people hoarding these things.

John Hancock : I mainly think he is scum mainly for that gaming museum thing that happened back where he set up this supposed museum and then would ask people to donate there games to him and donate thier money to him for this museum definitley does not sound shady.

Pat The NES Punk : is possibly the worst one in my opinion for starters he did things like crap on people who decided to emulate games as apposed to spending hundreds of dollars on a single game unless it was a game he allowed you to emulate of course. mention the diablo incedent speaks for it self and by far the dumbest thing he did was spend all that grand on that Nintendo Championship cartridge.
Last edited by KimagureMachibuse on Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Re: Gaming channels im not too keen of.

Post by BIL »

I'm so glad I never gave one iota of a speck of shit about any of these people. As if neckbearded shelf queens weren't insufferable enough in print, now you can see and hear them! Holy fuck no thanks

Don't me wrong though, I do like hearing others bag on 'em, please continue Image

Now here is a dude I trust :cool: AMURRICA! FUCK YEAAAA
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

All of them are shit.
KPackratt2k

Post by KPackratt2k »

Modern Vintage Gamer: Ever since Surfshark VPN started sponsoring his videos the quality went downhill in my opinion (I've already gotten tired of seeing that Surfshark ad at the beginning of some of his videos), he also seems to be running out of interesting video ideas to the point where I rarely watch his videos nowadays. Maybe once a month I watch a new video from him, but that's about it.
KimagureMachibuse wrote:My Life in gaming : I think is pretty bland but i still have some things to say like they are escentially responsible for jacking up the pricing of most if not any old school tube tv, these tv's are not worth that much on their own but them hyping up this stuff certainly does affect how much they go for online and results in people hoarding these things.
As far as I can tell, MLIG isn't the only factor that contributed to the rise of prices of CRT TVs, there were other factors that I feel are more significant that that channel alone: The pandemic, supply and demand (stemming from the fact that a significant amount of CRTs have been destroyed or recycled by now), the fact that most TV repair shops are out of business now (and the ones that are still around no longer deal with these sets), and the RGB modding community. Just to name a few other contributors to that burden. If anything, MLIG had a bigger impact on the PVM market than the consumer TV market.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Game Sack had a pretty good episode on this many years ago.

The whole nostalgia scene is by definition pretty stagnant, you can't get big consolidated trends like shitting on Sword and Shield, you have all these isolated people doing their own thing. So in retro it's about finding hidden gems and hidden trash, or someone with a personality you mesh with. These days it's mostly Kosmic videos for me. Ah, Scott the Woz might catch me every now and then. He's more in line with the scene's current modern trend.

.... you know what I hate even more? Those "react" videos for old movies. Where you're supposed to get some vicarious joy by watching someone else pretend to enjoy+be awed by something that's super old and doesn't light up your neurons like it used to. "Yes, I have never seen Ghostbusters/Back to the Future/etc, this is my first time. Really!"

That reminds me of those videos where some rich asshole paid a local to go build a shack in the woods with glue and concrete with requisite stagnant pool of water. Or the restoration genre.

The whole point of youtube was to see something real or low budget, just stuff you couldn't see anywhere else. Or at least to be a universal jukebox. The absolute worst gaming guy is better than anything in a Youtube Rewind video.
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

Ahhhh MetalJesus, where every game is a hidden gem. He has a couple sidekicks in John Hancock, and Radical Reggie, Someone should send old John a nice sealed game, but instead of a game, fill the box with rocks.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I've said it a thousand times before, but I guess it bears repeating for the 15 year olds just discovering video games :D

YouTube is the worst possible media for videogame coverage due to the incredibly high barrier of entry for both producing quality content and subsequently getting actual exposure. Anyone skilled and knowledgeable who isn't filtered out by the first point will most likely be by the second.

There's the occasional gem out there, but if you care about arcade style action games, it's incredibly barren.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

The algorithm is pretty brutal to video game footage in general, which I guess is why we have Twitch. It really feels like the zombie apocalypse should have more than 25 views.

The shit video I uploaded there is sitting at a comfy 0 views. And I understand completely; what absolute moron would be searching for that particular old crappy game? And if it showed up in their results, they'd have to be the kind of person who'd eat glue to click on it. I know *I* wouldn't click on it, and if I, its mother wouldn't touch it, how could I expect anyone else to want to?

But yeah, the production standards are sky high these days. You need to be an affluent little shit to make headway; no more Mr.Animes in his grandma's hallway with echo'ing audio. You have to be deep into a niche to find that kind of stuff.

Ah... the worst cancer is visiting Youtube before it has its stalker data on you. Sometimes I like to go incognito mode and see the default recommends, and think about the forthcoming doomy collapse of everything.

That always cheers me up.
Steamflogger Boss

BryanM wrote:Game Sack had a pretty good episode on this many years ago.

The whole nostalgia scene is by definition pretty stagnant, you can't get big consolidated trends like shitting on Sword and Shield, you have all these isolated people doing their own thing. So in retro it's about finding hidden gems and hidden trash, or someone with a personality you mesh with. These days it's mostly Kosmic videos for me. Ah, Scott the Woz might catch me every now and then. He's more in line with the scene's current modern trend.

.... you know what I hate even more? Those "react" videos for old movies. Where you're supposed to get some vicarious joy by watching someone else pretend to enjoy+be awed by something that's super old and doesn't light up your neurons like it used to. "Yes, I have never seen Ghostbusters/Back to the Future/etc, this is my first time. Really!"

That reminds me of those videos where some rich asshole paid a local to go build a shack in the woods with glue and concrete with requisite stagnant pool of water. Or the restoration genre.

The whole point of youtube was to see something real or low budget, just stuff you couldn't see anywhere else. Or at least to be a universal jukebox. The absolute worst gaming guy is better than anything in a Youtube Rewind video.
I saw that video somewhat recently and gotta admit it is funny. Game Sack's content otherwise is just...eh... Not trying to blast them specifically but their whole thing is shotgun coverage of old games and it's just not something that interests me.
Bloodreign wrote:Ahhhh MetalJesus, where every game is a hidden gem. He has a couple sidekicks in John Hancock, and Radical Reggie, Someone should send old John a nice sealed game, but instead of a game, fill the box with rocks.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

You guys made me watch a Metal Jesus vid. I need for you to know this.

At first I was getting bummed that one of the hidden gems on his listicle wasn't Super Mario Brothers, and the only game I recognized is in a "forgotten forever" bin in the obscure games corner of my robot brain's database. But he finished it off by making a pitch for the PSVita.

I think he knows what he's doin'.
drauch

Post by drauch »

I'm a big fan of the video review that's at least 2 hours. Those are nice. That was I feel like I'm invested enough in the game to say I've played it without doing so and saves me a lot of time to watch Metal Jesus.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
orange808

Post by orange808 »

People regularly watch this stuff? Really?

I do like watching Voultar fix bad mods sometimes. He makes soldering look easy and precise--and I know it's actually very difficult. Kind of like watching Bob Ross paint with some bonus humor.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Steamflogger Boss

orange808 wrote:People regularly watch this stuff? Really?
The numbers say yes, I've never been able to stomach most of them.
KimagureMachibuse

KPackratt2k wrote:Modern Vintage Gamer: Ever since Surfshark VPN started sponsoring his videos the quality went downhill in my opinion (I've already gotten tired of seeing that Surfshark ad at the beginning of some of his videos), he also seems to be running out of interesting video ideas to the point where I rarely watch his videos nowadays. Maybe once a month I watch a new video from him, but that's about it.
KimagureMachibuse wrote:My Life in gaming : I think is pretty bland but i still have some things to say like they are escentially responsible for jacking up the pricing of most if not any old school tube tv, these tv's are not worth that much on their own but them hyping up this stuff certainly does affect how much they go for online and results in people hoarding these things.
As far as I can tell, MLIG isn't the only factor that contributed to the rise of prices of CRT TVs, there were other factors that I feel are more significant that that channel alone: The pandemic, supply and demand (stemming from the fact that a significant amount of CRTs have been destroyed or recycled by now), the fact that most TV repair shops are out of business now (and the ones that are still around no longer deal with these sets), and the RGB modding community. Just to name a few other contributors to that burden. If anything, MLIG had a bigger impact on the PVM market than the consumer TV market.

I mosly meant pvms and bvms in this context but i said crts in general that they infliunced the prices of as that includes vga monitors too.
KimagureMachibuse

BryanM wrote: The whole nostalgia scene is by definition pretty stagnant, you can't get big consolidated trends like shitting on Sword and Shield, you have all these isolated people doing their own thing. So in retro it's about finding hidden gems and hidden trash, or someone with a personality you mesh with. These days it's mostly Kosmic videos for me. Ah, Scott the Woz might catch me every now and then. He's more in line with the scene's current modern trend.

Scott to me is pretty meh really dont find him all that interesting and that kind of style content has been done way before.

a gaming channel i do happen to really like is silent rob though hes not entirely centered around gaming but he manages to be entertaing unlike most gaming channels these days
KimagureMachibuse

BIL wrote:I'm so glad I never gave one iota of a speck of shit about any of these people. As if neckbearded shelf queens weren't insufferable enough in print, now you can see and hear them! Holy fuck no thanks

Don't me wrong though, I do like hearing others bag on 'em, please continue Image

Now here is a dude I trust :cool: AMURRICA! FUCK YEAAAA

Most gaming channels to me are mostly

and dont bother me too much

however these handful of channels i mostly dont like for what they did to game collecting as a whole or just other things they did

some i probably will mention later on are ones like game sack or game chasers
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Prices were kind of doomed to spike up eventually, the supply only goes down over time so even a small demand will eventually be unable to be met.

It's a trip remembering Sega Saturns and its games being liquidated at $30 and $10 a piece when its day was done. I think emulation of the thing is finally beginning to reach a state of being not-ass, like 26 years later.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

I don't care for YouTube at all, but it's silly to blame these talking head video channel things for the prices.

Love games? It's always time to buy. For instance, if you want a Wii U, you should get one immediately. Assuming these systems and games will always be available and cheap is pretty stupid. Sorry. Be less stupid. If there's something you want, buy it before the market dries up--and have enough insight to understand what's good before it's unavailable. If you were lazy, it's your own fault.

Of course CRTs went up in value when they got scarce. That's not anyone's fault. The motion on them is unrivaled by any other tech. Games aren't supposed to be blurry. Furthermore, none of the channels can actually show you how "right" it looks, because you're watching them on a shit digital display. A lot of young people are hunting a CRT after they see one in person and realize the difference. Anyhow, we can't blame YouTube because people discovered the truth. The truth is naturally correct. Truth has a true bias. :-) Also, a lot of the demand comes from offline experiences.

Professional monitors have always been rare and expensive, by the way. You needed luck to get one locally at a good price. You really think I paid market value for a monitor and trusted a company to ship a CRT without breaking it? Fuck no.

Here's a question for you. Why the hell didn't people just get a free consumer television set or PC monitor from a classified ad a few years ago? Once again, it's your fault. The OSSC hasn't been expensive and there's a lot of cheap DACs for a PC CRT. Faroudja line doublers were everywhere for next to nothing. You had opportunities and you were lazy. Who's fault is that?

Lots of us have been telling people to grab any CRT they could find for years--and it didn't have to be professional monitor. You didn't listen and now you have regrets? Who's fault is that? It's your fault. PC CRTs and consumer sets were essentially free for over a decade. Stop blaming everyone else.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

That guy who called himself "beat em ups" but doesn't play beat em ups and clogs up the search engine when you search for beat em ups :x

Beat em ups.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

BurlyHeart wrote:That guy who called himself "beat em ups" but doesn't play beat em ups and clogs up the search engine when you search for beat em ups :x

Beat em ups.
I really fucking hate that guy. I don't watch his videos, but he has ruined Google, YouTube and Reddit's search terms thanks to stealing the name "beat em ups" when his channel has nothing to do with beat em ups. Maybe I'd feel more charitable towards him if he posted decent "content" or whatever, but it's always googly-eyed clickbait. Super worthless youtuber who actively makes the internet worse with his spam.

MJR is my other pet peeve. Every game is a hidden gem. Y'all remember that south park episode? "CHIPOKOMON! I'VE GOT TO BUY IT, I'VE GOT TO BUY IT!" That's his channel. He tells his fanbase every game is fucking amazing and they need to rush out and buy it right now. Meanwhile he sits on a dragon hoard of collected games (he doesn't play) and laughs while they appreciate in value. His game reviews are either "hidden gem" or "it's cool."

If you just want a channel about collecting vidya gaems then I guess he's fine. He'll tell you to buy everything but that's probably what you want, as a collector. :lol: Keep in mind he doesn't play the games he talks about, though. The only genre he seems to know about are racing games. His recommendation lists are always full of memes.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Super Best Friends Play were the only channel i could stomach before they split up,
but YT absolutely kills the Let's Play format..
well, I guess Twitch also killed it.

Maybe some of you would like SuperEyePatchWolf

https://youtu.be/FpNAKDx4CwY

" shenmue 3 is a terrible game and i've wasted my life "

also, it's "keen on" you're welcome
get preposition'd!!!
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
KimagureMachibuse

orange808 wrote:I don't care for YouTube at all, but it's silly to blame these talking head video channel things for the prices.

Love games? It's always time to buy. For instance, if you want a Wii U, you should get one immediately. Assuming these systems and games will always be available and cheap is pretty stupid. Sorry. Be less stupid. If there's something you want, buy it before the market dries up--and have enough insight to understand what's good before it's unavailable. If you were lazy, it's your own fault.

Of course CRTs went up in value when they got scarce. That's not anyone's fault. The motion on them is unrivaled by any other tech. Games aren't supposed to be blurry. Furthermore, none of the channels can actually show you how "right" it looks, because you're watching them on a shit digital display. A lot of young people are hunting a CRT after they see one in person and realize the difference. Anyhow, we can't blame YouTube because people discovered the truth. The truth is naturally correct. Truth has a true bias. :-) Also, a lot of the demand comes from offline experiences.

Professional monitors have always been rare and expensive, by the way. You needed luck to get one locally at a good price. You really think I paid market value for a monitor and trusted a company to ship a CRT without breaking it? Fuck no.

Here's a question for you. Why the hell didn't people just get a free consumer television set or PC monitor from a classified ad a few years ago? Once again, it's your fault. The OSSC hasn't been expensive and there's a lot of cheap DACs for a PC CRT. Faroudja line doublers were everywhere for next to nothing. You had opportunities and you were lazy. Who's fault is that?

Lots of us have been telling people to grab any CRT they could find for years--and it didn't have to be professional monitor. You didn't listen and now you have regrets? Who's fault is that? It's your fault. PC CRTs and consumer sets were essentially free for over a decade. Stop blaming everyone else.
your "advice" and how you word it of how people should have just assumed and just gotten these gaming type stuff before they all of a sudden shot up is not all that helpful.

Whether you like hearing or not it these gaming channels are pretty darn responsible of affecting the prices of stuff anything gaming releated with these videos they have made years ago. you could also blame certain ebay sellers marking this stuff up more than they should be too.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

The speculators were going to ruin everything for everyone anyway, like they always do. If a number, anywhere, goes up even slightly they're on top of it like a fly on shit. The retro guys mostly just reflect demand and nostalgia that's already there, they don't create it. Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat isn't stupidly high just because some poodle head really likes it, it's just another NES game.

Speaking of the buttermen killing us all..
orange808

Post by orange808 »

KimagureMachibuse wrote: your "advice" and how you word it of how people should have just assumed and just gotten these gaming type stuff before they all of a sudden shot up is not all that helpful.
Well, that's how almost everyone around here got their gear and games.
Steamflogger Boss

BryanM wrote:The speculators were going to ruin everything for everyone anyway, like they always do. If a number, anywhere, goes up even slightly they're on top of it like a fly on shit. The retro guys mostly just reflect demand and nostalgia that's already there, they don't create it. Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat isn't stupidly high just because some poodle head really likes it, it's just another NES game.

Speaking of the buttermen killing us all..
Hearing speculators like the comic lady who was trying to help WATA determine what a video game is talk was so fucking cringe. A bit eye opening if you didn't think these speculators were insane too, but I already knew that. :lol:
orange808 wrote:
KimagureMachibuse wrote: your "advice" and how you word it of how people should have just assumed and just gotten these gaming type stuff before they all of a sudden shot up is not all that helpful.
Well, that's how almost everyone around here got their gear and games.
Yeah if you are getting into anything late you'll have to pay the inflated prices or not get stuff it's always been that way. Piracy has never been better sooo there is that too at least. No one is entitled to a collection.
KimagureMachibuse

Steamflogger wrote:Yeah if you are getting into anything late you'll have to pay the inflated prices or not get stuff it's always been that way. Piracy has never been better sooo there is that too at least. No one is entitled to a collection.

yeah piracy is the only way it seems with games i have no problem with that as it will be one of the things that will let things go down quite much that and repros.

people should not feel bad for pirating these old games that they don't own it means you dont have to spend an astronomical price on something like Little Samson or Clayfighter Sculpture cut or Neo Geo Stuff which are not worth even getting physical in the first place.

I never meant it to come of as people should be entitled to game collection i mainly meant it as such because some people are late they have to spend 100$ on a single game depending on the console which im not to fond of.
Steamflogger Boss

KimagureMachibuse wrote:
Steamflogger wrote:Yeah if you are getting into anything late you'll have to pay the inflated prices or not get stuff it's always been that way. Piracy has never been better sooo there is that too at least. No one is entitled to a collection.

yeah piracy is the only way it seems with games i have no problem with that as it will be one of the things that will let things go down quite much that and repros.

people should not feel bad for pirating these old games that they don't own it means you dont have to spend an astronomical price on something like Little Samson or Clayfighter Sculpture cut or Neo Geo Stuff which are not worth even getting physical in the first place.

I never meant it to come of as people should be entitled to game collection i mainly meant it as such because some people are late they have to spend 100$ on a single game depending on the console which im not to fond of.
Yeah all good. I'm definitely pro download. If these companies don't have their games available that's their issue. I have supported plenty of modern rereleases as well as buying ancient pc games on gog to make compatibility easier.

I'm pretty anti-repro/bootleg mainly just cause there's not really a point in giving someone else money for someone elses intellectual property. Honestly anyone considering it should just get a flash cart in most cases. If the repro or w/e is $30 it doesn't even take many of those to where you should just grab a good flashcart.

In the case of Stadium Events that's actually the dumbest shit as the game is literally just World Class Track Meet with a different name. So it's purely for people that just want to "have something rare". It's that much more purely for a different sticker label.

It's a pretty shit time to be trying to start an old game collection honestly. Just kinda is what it is. Decent time to be buying PS4, Switch etc
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

It's a good time to buy ps4, assuming you can find releases which don't require online and don't have download codes in the box.

Whether or not you can find Switch games for a decent price depends upon the game and how much it's getting scalped. I wanted to buy a physical copy of Bayonetta. But I forgot its exact release date, and as a result was maybe 4 days late checking online shops. Well, by that point, every single copy I could find was a fucking scalped copy. The list price is $30. You can't find a physical Bayo 1 switch copy for $30 right now. You can find them for $50 though. Complete bullshit. I noticed a lot of the ebay sellers had large quantities of them. It will say when you go to the ebay seller's listing how many copies they have. So you can just do the math in your head, on how many of those $50 copies were scalped by bot purchasing on release day. Pretty good scam. Buy up all the product for $30, turn around the next day and sell the same fucking shit for $50.

I refuse to pay damn near twice MSRP on a new game.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

I don't understand buying lousy old games that aren't fun. If you don't want to play it, why buy it?
Steamflogger Boss

orange808 wrote:I don't understand buying lousy old games that aren't fun. If you don't want to play it, why buy it?
Spoiler
At this point it's mostly speculators wanking off hoping they find someone else that will speculate harder. IE finding a bigger sucker than you. That's what this whole wata sealed pump and dump is all about.
Sima Tuna wrote:It's a good time to buy ps4, assuming you can find releases which don't require online and don't have download codes in the box.

Whether or not you can find Switch games for a decent price depends upon the game and how much it's getting scalped. I wanted to buy a physical copy of Bayonetta. But I forgot its exact release date, and as a result was maybe 4 days late checking online shops. Well, by that point, every single copy I could find was a fucking scalped copy. The list price is $30. You can't find a physical Bayo 1 switch copy for $30 right now. You can find them for $50 though. Complete bullshit. I noticed a lot of the ebay sellers had large quantities of them. It will say when you go to the ebay seller's listing how many copies they have. So you can just do the math in your head, on how many of those $50 copies were scalped by bot purchasing on release day. Pretty good scam. Buy up all the product for $30, turn around the next day and sell the same fucking shit for $50.

I refuse to pay damn near twice MSRP on a new game.
It's all relative though it does suck that some games have such limited physical releases. NISA has been back on their bullshit too with PS4 games going OOP due to a small first run then spiking to triple digits before being reprinted.