Steam Shmups Revengeance

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
A Skeleton

Steam Shmups Revengeance

Post by A Skeleton »

For the fourth year in a row, here's another Steam Shmups for you. 40 minutes, 32 games.

https://youtu.be/43Z0xYcHENM
My second video on Steam Shmups
https://youtu.be/SHYu_ETEmJE
FunktionJCB

Re: Steam Shmups Revengeance

Post by FunktionJCB »

Thanks for the video. :wink:

With the ever growing Steam shmup library, it's always great to have a compilation showcasing some of the titles available, big and small.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Forget the candy and costumes, this is the real highlight of the season (minus the part where that blasted song gets stuck in my head yet again :P). A handful of comments:

- Rangok Skies is actually a stealthily ported mobile shmup under a different name...and it didn't just steal sound effects, it stole sprites too. More reading here.

- Against all odds, yet again you've managed to track down a handful of titles I hadn't heard of before watching, which I will now have to look into. I think the only individual that enjoys these videos more than me is my backlog (which has indeed achieved sentience by now).

- I was almost expecting you to make some kind of contest out of identifying all the gaming skeletons appearing throughout the interludes, I was kind of testing myself as I watched to attempt to remember where they were all from.

- One of these days I'm going to have to compile a list of everything you've covered in these videos and compare it with my own Steam library, to see if there's anything you've yet to cover, just to try to keep this series going (outside of you inevitably torturing yourself with the latest Deep Space Waifu).

Keep up the good work!
davyK

Post by davyK »

Nice video. Info on Steam content is always welcome.

:)
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

boner.

8)
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
A Skeleton

Post by A Skeleton »

Thank you all very much. Glad you enjoyed!

About Rangok Skies, yeah I've been hearing some goofy things with that one. Doesn't help that I was actually given a key for it from the "dev". Wish I could devote research time to every game, but it's quite enough work as it is.

@BulletMagnet - That EpicRecovery game is legit and dirt cheap.
A Skeleton

Post by A Skeleton »

That first one has one of the worst store page trailers I've ever seen. But I'll wishlist them
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Akashicverse is really cool. Here's a summary

Good:
-Fighting game inputs in a shmup. The way they're handled is really good.
-Incredibly powerful ship, fueled by tactical grazing. Either power up rapidly while vulnerable or put shields up and stall.
-You only have 1 life. Don't let the shield mislead you, there are no euro mechanics here.
-Great music.
-Some very cool level design here and there, but boss design stands out. They're still challenging despite the power level of the player.
-Going from the above, the boss fights are also exceptional for the sheer amount of shenanigans you can pull off. It's very satisfying to actually have tactical choices (or ways to just show off) in fights.

Bad:
-The trailer, lol.
-Lolis (kinda? I guess it's more just moe, but w/e)
-Terrible story too :)
-Extremely chaotic. Don't play this if you can't handle flashing colors. That's an understatement btw.
-Only the akashic mode (/w asterism) is worth playing imo. For reference, this is a proper "hard" mode that makes you think about your abilities. Asterism is an extra thingy that adds more bosses among other stuff. Other modes are memes.

Cloudphobia is a much simpler affair. It's a short shmup about...speedrunning. It wants you to kill all of the enemies while having boosters on as much as possible. So basically, run it without boosters, memorize the shit, then try to look as badass as possible in a serious run /w boosters on. Features a pure melee ship which is really cool. Music nice. Design very nice. Length very short. Difficulty meh, but you can make it cooler by boosting as said above.
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
BIL

Post by BIL »

Cloudphobia fuckin owns. Like all the best STGs (cf Super Aleste) it blags liberally from Joy Division. Image In A Lonely Place is not the postmortem dirge of the JD tune, but it could pass for a prime NO single circa Low Life!

Warm like a dog round your feet~ >¦3
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Hmm, something's wrong. I couldn't see the ken anywhere.

Must've been hidden really well.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I uh well, you see, I was so impressed that you'd managed to avoid triple posting in this year's thread I forgot it (■`w´■)

I never trust a skeleton though (`w´メ)
Abadd

Post by Abadd »

For Akashicverse I recommend you disable in game dialog since gameplay does not pause for dialog. Also make sure to utilize the tutorial to familiarize yourself with the controls. The speed up function in cloudphobia works more like a fast forward button so it plays animations faster, requiring you to be able to work quickly
Lander

Post by Lander »

PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote:Akashicverse is really cool. Here's a summary
You forgot
Good:
- R∀dical upside-down A logo
:P

Moe aside, it looks pretty awesome. Always reminded me of Hellsinker on first blush, which coincientally is another game that's successfully intimidated me into not playing it yet through sheer weight of mechanics.

I really should push past that and give them both a fair shake :?
Radtastic

Post by Radtastic »

Whoa! Wishlisted these games. They look great! Thanks for sharing.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

BIL wrote:Cloudphobia fuckin owns. Like all the best STGs (cf Super Aleste) it blags liberally from Joy Division. Image In A Lonely Place is not the postmortem dirge of the JD tune, but it could pass for a prime NO single circa Low Life!

Warm like a dog round your feet~ >¦3
This game looks kinda ghetto but also really cool.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

To Far Away Times wrote:This game looks kinda ghetto but also really cool.
That kinda sums up the initial appeal of a lot of doujin stuff.