I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Jonst

Re: I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

Post by Jonst »

I didn't clear esprade today but I did just 1cc razion ex. Maybe not the hardest thing in the world but I'll take it.
"Just fire and forget" 1cc List
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Jonst wrote:I didn't clear esprade today but I did just 1cc razion ex. Maybe not the hardest thing in the world but I'll take it.
Congrats. I was surprised how much I liked Razion EX. It reminds me of how Nintendo approaches game design with how the charge shot mechanics interact with the score cubes. Everything has a second purpose. Top tier, thoughtful design.

Good difficulty too... IMO it takes a bit of acquired knowledge to get through it, but it isn't built around being a crazy dexterity test.

The art and music is quite good too.

That game came out of nowhere and is pretty much flawless. An easy recommendation.
Jonst

Post by Jonst »

^ Thanks man! yeah, I was late to it but downloaded it about a week ago. I was impressed with it straight away, good gameplay and nice design throughout as you say and the difficulty not brutal. I'd been playing it casually just because it was really fun, so didn't expect to clear it. I may be my favourite NG: Dev.team game... but I do like fast striker, which was harder. I'll check out mania mode though.
"Just fire and forget" 1cc List
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Finally got the Gun.Smoke 1CC on credit #15 (credit #13 was a 13-miss stage 10...). Absolutely godawful clown run, got to the final boss with one spare life before getting lucky with stuck greys trivializing it. Wingate's not so bad once you understand the fight, but climbing that hurdle was harder than the rest of the game put together. Besides getting a feel for the spawn logic, discarding my terror of his spreadshot was a breakthrough. Only the puffs are really threatening, as the bullets have small enough collision that you can comfortably fit between them, which greatly alleviates the claustrophobia. Accidentally backing up into the invisible puffs is more dangerous than getting shot!

I'm going to contradict BIL on the penultimate bosses. IMO, Goldsmith is the hardest and Fat Man the easiest. You can consistently deal with the latter by starting straight below him, stepping out between his bullets once he's moved sideways and going for the flank. Once you're there he dies in a couple of seconds, there's loads of room behind him and his spawns are too anemic to stop you. If you have the horse he's 100% free. I don't know how to manipulate Goldsmith properly so his fight goes on for as long as he wants to dick around on the floor. For Los Pubro, taking the horse in is a trap; his grey spawns are really annoying and will fuck with the flank maneuver, falling off the horse just makes it worse. Barring an unfortunate initial spawn, going for the front speedkill (which the horsebox will ruin) seems to always be the best option.

Anyway, it's a great game, simple, active and dynamic but not sadistic or really too hard at all besides the very end. Fatigue is the biggest issue, 6hz auto helps a lot.
Video in case you want to watch me die in stupid ways for 40 minutes
To Far Away Times

Congrats. Gun Smoke is a cool game.
Wes112

Post by Wes112 »

1cc'd Mushihimesama Ultra mode this weekend. This was a big challenge for me and im happy I stuck with it despite getting very frustrated at times.

Replay
To Far Away Times

Ultra? Holy shit.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Lethe wrote:Finally got the Gun.Smoke 1CC on credit #15 (credit #13 was a 13-miss stage 10...). Absolutely godawful clown run, got to the final boss with one spare life before getting lucky with stuck greys trivializing it. Wingate's not so bad once you understand the fight, but climbing that hurdle was harder than the rest of the game put together. Besides getting a feel for the spawn logic, discarding my terror of his spreadshot was a breakthrough. Only the puffs are really threatening, as the bullets have small enough collision that you can comfortably fit between them, which greatly alleviates the claustrophobia. Accidentally backing up into the invisible puffs is more dangerous than getting shot!

I'm going to contradict BIL on the penultimate bosses. IMO, Goldsmith is the hardest and Fat Man the easiest. You can consistently deal with the latter by starting straight below him, stepping out between his bullets once he's moved sideways and going for the flank. Once you're there he dies in a couple of seconds, there's loads of room behind him and his spawns are too anemic to stop you. If you have the horse he's 100% free. I don't know how to manipulate Goldsmith properly so his fight goes on for as long as he wants to dick around on the floor. For Los Pubro, taking the horse in is a trap; his grey spawns are really annoying and will fuck with the flank maneuver, falling off the horse just makes it worse. Barring an unfortunate initial spawn, going for the front speedkill (which the horsebox will ruin) seems to always be the best option.

Anyway, it's a great game, simple, active and dynamic but not sadistic or really too hard at all besides the very end. Fatigue is the biggest issue, 6hz auto helps a lot.
Video in case you want to watch me die in stupid ways for 40 minutes
Congrats, knew you'd nail it. :cool: Excellent notes too, will update my ST with your observations if that's OK?

After stumbling across the Los Pubro (god that name makes my teeth hurt :lol:) speedkill, I suspected something might be similar with Fat Man, due to his similarly, uncharacteristically fast HP loss. TBH though he's so late in the run I just kinda said fuck it. :mrgreen: Good to see something more concrete!
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Jonpachi wrote:I just get brutalized in the second loop still, but I at least hit a new PB this morning for the first loop in Outzone. Played on the ACM-V via HDMI-out to a low-lag gaming monitor (and Sega 6-Button Mini controller)

Nice!
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

1CC'd Andro Dunos 2 on Arcade Mode!
NuclearPotato

Post by NuclearPotato »

Managed to 1-ALL Scramble today; as it was grandfathered into the Gradius franchise, I can now say that I've managed to 1cc at least one game from each of the major arcade hori shooter franchises lol (I do intend on getting a clear of a proper Gradius game at some point, rest assured). Not a hard game to clear by any stretch of the imagination; took me maybe a couple hours spread over the past 4 days before I got it down. Mostly it's just unpredictable, both in enemy movement, and in enemy hitboxes (looking at you, UFOs).

For a more major achievement, I managed to clear my previous R-Type PB right afterwards, both in score and progress into the second loop (I've now managed to survive until the halfway point in Stage 4, past my previous best of the start of Stage 3). Very proud of this, since the only practice I've had with R-Type in the past few months was trying out the Irem core on the MiSTer for a bit and getting my ass killed on 1-4 (I blame it on having to use extra braincells on mashing fire, instead of the autofire button I have set up in MAME :P ).
BIL

Post by BIL »

NuclearPotato wrote:Managed to 1-ALL Scramble today; as it was grandfathered into the Gradius franchise, I can now say that I've managed to 1cc at least one game from each of the major arcade hori shooter franchises lol (I do intend on getting a clear of a proper Gradius game at some point, rest assured).
Quality bit of Deep Lore from lovable-as-always Gradius Generation, that. :mrgreen:

xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Finally 1CC’d Sophstar!
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

xxx1993 wrote:Finally 1CC’d Sophstar!
Congratulations! What ship did you use? Was it intermediate difficulty?
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

BurlyHeart wrote:
Congratulations! What ship did you use? Was it intermediate difficulty?
I used Dumont. And yes, I played on Intermediate.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Congratulations!
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

CCWE Arrange Original 1CC! Type-II, top 30 on Switch :mrgreen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6TgalObzpw

after months of playing Arcade Boost, i decided to give Arrange Mode a try; first i played Arrange Boost, then at some point decided to try Arrange Original and see what it was like. i ended up getting super hooked for three weeks, playing 1-3 times a day trying to score and clear.

as a player, i typically haven't really collected 1CCs -- because once i get into a game's scoring (whether i meant to or not), i can't help but try to score, leading me to play very risky as i try to figure out different scoring strategies all the time. in the last two or three years since i started taking shmups seriously, the only clears i've gotten are DFK 1.5 Novice, 1.5 Normal, Batsugun Special 1-ALL, and CCWE Novice Boost. :oops:

so for me, getting this clear means a lot! i made some pretty miracle plays in the later half of this run, and it made me feel like all of the many many shmups i've played over the years have added up into some really strong shmupping fundamentals that carried me through the end of this run. :D i really feel that i have leveled up as a player!
Sturmvogel Prime

Broke the current record in Destropolis leaderboards (XBOX port).

Apparently, there's a way to deal with the horrible FPS slowdown as the screen gets crammed with enemies: When you're on level 11 or above, pause the game and wait for a while (the best indicator is the circular patterns that rotate on the background, once they move smoothly that will be an indicator of being able to resume your game like normal. If nothing happens, try again (They REALLY need to fix the game).
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!

kuze

Post by kuze »

Got my first Bakraid 1cc on Normal this week with the Flame Viper, pretty stoked!

Already cleared Batrider (Normal) before so feeling like I will have to revisit Garegga and work towards the trifecta.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Risk System complete!
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Achieved a 1LC of Andro Dunos 2 on Arcade Mode!
To Far Away Times

I got a 1CC of ZeroRanger White Vanilla. I plan to push this game further, but since it's a 1CC it can go on the list for now.

Quite a neat little game. I think this game should pretty much be the defacto pick for players getting into the genre. The progression and how the game onboards you is second to none. They even structured the game so that clearing with continues is a noteworthy accomplishment. And then once you get that dopamine hit from clearing with continues there's a 1CC of White Vanilla waiting for you, then a normal 1-All and a 2-All. And each step trains you up enough that the next step is not far out of reach.

This was step two of my four goals:

Clear Green Orange using continues
1CC White Vanilla
1-ALL Green Orange (should be trivial now)
2-ALL Green Orange

The game also unlocks some new color pallets once you've cleared it with continues, so you have a constant visual reminder of the progress you've made so far and what you've accomplished. I love it.
Spoiler
I was determined to 1CC White Vanilla with the EX Stage completed as well, and that was a major stumbling block for me, as I would often get to the EX stage with just a single life or two and lose pretty quickly. It is by far the hardest section of White Vanilla at low rank. I had a particularly good run this time, and got to the EX stage with seven lives, and from there I could pretty much tank a hit or two to deal enough damage to get through the difficult phases quickly.
White Vanilla has pretty much trained me up on the first loop, and I have a really good strategy for Despair (thanks to the continue playthroughs), so I think a 2-All is in reach with some practice on the easier second loop content. Normally, I would never go for a second loop in a traditional shmup, but considering how much of it I have already learned, and how the difficulty isn't crazy high for a second loop, I might as well go for it.

Learning the game this way is super fun. Who needs a practice mode or save states when the game structure can motivate and reward you for learning it this way?
swarthytart

Post by swarthytart »

After decades of playing shmups casually, I got my first 1cc today. Game: Neko Navy Daydream Edition on Nintendo Switch. Did it in Easy mode. Baby steps. Plan on ramping up the difficulty and trying again soon.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

I Just 1cced that Mecha Ritz game I bought on Steam some years ago.
When I bought some years ago I also 1cced but I remember the Final Boss was a Teddy Bear that smelled of Bad ending to me so I disconsidered.

Yesterday, after seeing one topic here talking about the game, I fired it up again, chose the Green ship and played one credit. This time it was different, the final boss looked and sounded like a TLB to me. That girl was speaking japanese through voiced clips even though I didn't care to read the translated text on the screen, then I had to battle her through several forms, killing her on my very last life with no shields or bombs left. Enjoyable Final Boss.

Mecha Ritz Steel Rondo - 1cced.
To Far Away Times

2-ALL complete. I have attained enlightenment. I am the ZeroRanger.
Sturmvogel Prime

Finished Darius Extra Version in 1CC and No Miss.
Route: A-B-D-G-K-P-V

Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Area 88 and P-47 The Freedom fighter. Both are titles that I never managed to 1-CC when I was a kid, for the simple reasons that I had very limited access to them. It feels good to 1-CC shmups again, even if both are easy titles.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I just counterstopped Slap Fight on the Mega Drive and I feel good.
Meriscan

Post by Meriscan »

Recently got around to learning Air Gallet on the hardest DIP Switches. There was a video of it on YouTube that someone shared a while ago and it made the game look very interesting. Enemy bullet speeds are almost up to par with Raiden and enemies a notable higher amount of HP. Especially noticable during the bosses. Some attacks are also just ridiculous (see gif, these are 'aimed' bullets). Pretty happy with this clear!
https://youtu.be/wboMeg18M4o

xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Still can’t get over that final boss. A death statue of an angel which turns into Dr. Wily’s ship or the Shadaloo logo for its final form?