Mushi, DDP Res, Esp 2 for Switch

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
davyK

Re: Mushi, DDP Res, Esp 2 for Switch

Post by davyK »

Mushi arrived today. Not even had a chance to open it. The little collector card that comes with it is a nice item.
davyK

Post by davyK »

Had a few runs at Normal Original. Feels as close to the Steam port as I can make out. The sound levels are a bit different but my Switch is docked and rigged up to a soundbar via the TV using its digital out so I think it's that. Looks great.

Just used the 8bitdo pad and control felt fine. Will try it with my Hori stick next.

Shame about the absence of leaderboards.

I'm guessing this isn't news to those who already have this digitally as it's just a copy of the digital release but just thought I'd mention it.

There's a little booklet in the game case with character descriptions and couple of pieces of art. Pleasant to look at but a manual would be nicer.
Nugs

Post by Nugs »

Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Shitty Connection GOD DAMN IT.

You better not ruin one of my favorite cave games!
Steven

Post by Steven »

lol Shitty Connection again. Who's going to risk their money to see if it's trash or not? I don't know, a few people here mentioned that their PC Deathsmiles is actually pretty decent, so maybe they've decided to stop being complete trash.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Deathsmiles collection is FINE. It's just the Xbox 360 versions moved to other platforms. Seems safe to expect the same here.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Shitty Connection will write an SH-3 emulator and then emulate that in a Xbox 360 emulator and it'll have 12 frames of lag.

And Slash mode will be disabled in the main menu.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Jonpachi wrote:Deathsmiles collection is FINE. It's just the Xbox 360 versions moved to other platforms. Seems safe to expect the same here.
I'll probably buy it anyway and get burned because I'm a fucking idiot who loves Akai Katana. Well done, Shitty Connection. You've successfully baited me. Can't wait for "Shitty Connection Ports Guwange and Pink Sweets" next.

The worst part is that every Shitty Connection Cave game ported is one more Cave game Live Wire won't release.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Now that I think about it again, I believe the City Connection CEO or whatever said that their Deathsmiles is actually ported from the 360 instead of emulated. That doesn't really matter since emulation and ports can both be completely fine or completely broken, but it is interesting that they actually ported the games instead of emulating them.
Nugs

Post by Nugs »

Jonpachi wrote:Deathsmiles collection is FINE. It's just the Xbox 360 versions moved to other platforms. Seems safe to expect the same here.
I was going to say the same thing.
Hopefully this turns out the same.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Their recent Psikyo collections on PS4 have also proven to be solid, as someone posted today that Strikers 2 tests came in at 4 frames.

That said, I believe AK was one of the laggier 360 games (5 frames I think) so Switch players might want to hold up as it'll probably come in around 7 on that console. PS4 seems like a safe bet to get at least on par with the 360.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

If all Shitty Connection do is port across the xbox 360 version, then the very lowest possible lag you could get on Switch would be something like 5.5 or 6 frames, since the Switch architecture adds half to a full frame of lag, depending who you ask and who is doing the testing. Best possible scenario then for most people's setups will be 6 frames of lag. But 7 could very well be likely. Hell, with Shitty Connection, we could wind up with 11 frames of lag. :lol:

I've heard mixed opinions about the Deathsmiles port. Some say it's just as good as the xbox 360 port, while others say the xbox 360 port itself was kinda mediocre and Shitty Connection should have done the barest minimum of work to improve it. Then there are the wildly overpriced DLC characters mindlessly added to Deathsmiles by Shitty Connection. And I've also heard the deathsmiles port may have some arcade inaccuracies. It's not a complete trash fire, but considering that port is held up as an example of Shitty Connection doing a "good job," I can't say I'm encouraged by the thought of them taking a wack at one of my favorite Cave games.

The switch psikyo releases were still laggy as fuck last I heard, btw.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Sima Tuna wrote:I've heard mixed opinions about the Deathsmiles port. Some say it's just as good as the xbox 360 port, while others say the xbox 360 port itself was kinda mediocre and Shitty Connection should have done the barest minimum of work to improve it. Then there are the wildly overpriced DLC characters mindlessly added to Deathsmiles by Shitty Connection. And I've also heard the deathsmiles port may have some arcade inaccuracies. It's not a complete trash fire, but considering that port is held up as an example of Shitty Connection doing a "good job," I can't say I'm encouraged by the thought of them taking a wack at one of my favorite Cave games.
The Deathsmiles port was fine, aside from some screen size option weirdness at launch (which... I think they patched, right?). It may not be absolutely flawless, but it's clearly not a dumpster fire of a release.

Personally, I actually think the Gothic wa Mahou Otome characters are by far the best part of the port. They actually play differently than the normal Deathsmiles cast, so it's a pretty fun arrange mode style experience IMO.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

City Connection announced that port in April, why is everyone acting surprised? Like other people said, their Deathsmiles port was fine, and being based on the 360 version means they shouldn't have any trouble. I'll probably grab it on PC if everything turns out okay.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Yup, this isn't new news. Just a confirmed release date.

That being said, kinda pumped to see that date since it will go perfectly with my ongoing annual tradition of celebrating Christmas with late-year STG releases! Akai Katana will get a featured spot at my place this year, and it seems likely that the LRG Espgaluda II release will ship around Nov-Dec just in time for the holidays. Pretty similar to last year with the Japanese release of Deathsmiles 1&2 (convenient option for my annual Christmas Deathsmiles 2X playthrough, Satan Claws is always a part of my December STG-fest!), and my Dangun Feveron LRG special edition arrived like a week before Christmas so it could go under the tree to be unwrapped on Christmas!
Steven

Post by Steven »

hamfighterx wrote:Personally, I actually think the Gothic wa Mahou Otome characters are by far the best part of the port. They actually play differently than the normal Deathsmiles cast, so it's a pretty fun arrange mode style experience IMO.
Too bad they are so expensive, though, and I HATE launch day DLC... and DLC in general, actually. Still not as bad as Train Simulator DLC or even iM@S DLC, but still a bit expensive. If you say they are worth it, though, I'll be sure to get them once I finally buy the collection.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

The extra characters would have been a cool addition if they were included with the $40 price tag. The price for them is outrageous, however.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Are they really $40 in whatever country it is that you are in that uses dollars? Damn, looks like I get lucky, as they are only 2950 yen here.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

Steven wrote:Now that I think about it again, I believe the City Connection CEO or whatever said that their Deathsmiles is actually ported from the 360 instead of emulated. That doesn't really matter since emulation and ports can both be completely fine or completely broken, but it is interesting that they actually ported the games instead of emulating them.
Switch is far too weak to emulate Sh3 based Cave shmups, in any shape or form.

All said shmups are a port of some kind, nothing to do with emulation.
Steven

Post by Steven »

el_rika wrote:Switch is far too weak to emulate Sh3 based Cave shmups, in any shape or form.
Prove it.
el_rika wrote:All said shmups are a port of some kind, nothing to do with emulation.
Uh... okay.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Sima Tuna wrote:The extra characters would have been a cool addition if they were included with the $40 price tag. The price for them is outrageous, however.
In the US, the game on Switch/PS4 is priced at $39.99 on eShop/PSN, and the DLC is $24.99. $64.99 total, so not really THAT crazy in relation to the cost of a normal full price release. Had they just included the DLC and sold the game for $59.99, nobody would blink an eye. It's the fact that they stripped the DLC out and sold it separately that makes things look worse. Anyway, I'm a sucker for Cave soundtracks so bought the ~$90 special edition that included the DLC.

Personally, I think the DLC characters provide a different enough game experience that it basically functions like a pretty substantial arrange mode, and I've paid for fully stand-alone Cave arrange mode releases in the past (e.g., Daifukkatsu Black Label on 360). So when I look at it that way, really not bothered by paying $25 for the new "arrange". It actually makes the PS4/Switch version more interesting to me, since that's the major new feature that was not in the previous ports I still have on 360 and Steam and have played to death.

But yeah, I can still see where people might grumble a bit due to the DLC model, and wish it was either just included in the game or sold as DLC for a lower cost.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I take it DDP hasn't gone up yet? (Physical) Can't find it anywhere.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Sima Tuna wrote:The extra characters would have been a cool addition if they were included with the $40 price tag. The price for them is outrageous, however.
They are included...if you get the physical Strictly Limited Games version that have them on Disc/Cart, no other regional version has them on there physically. (Outside of just buying the DLC bundle digitally.)
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

neorichieb1971 wrote:I take it DDP hasn't gone up yet? (Physical) Can't find it anywhere.
Nope. Been watching my video game junk email folder like a hawk for months waiting for that one. But ESPGaluda II orders just wrapped up on Aug 14th, so it ought to be coming soonish-ish. I think/hope.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Steven wrote:Now that I think about it again, I believe the City Connection CEO or whatever said that their Deathsmiles is actually ported from the 360 instead of emulated. That doesn't really matter since emulation and ports can both be completely fine or completely broken, but it is interesting that they actually ported the games instead of emulating them.
In this situation, porting the game is a million times easier for them, so I don't think it should come as a surprise. :)
They are taking the lazy way out - whether the lazy way out is also the better one depends on a lot of other factors.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
neorichieb1971 wrote:I take it DDP hasn't gone up yet? (Physical) Can't find it anywhere.
Nope. Been watching my video game junk email folder like a hawk for months waiting for that one. But ESPGaluda II orders just wrapped up on Aug 14th, so it ought to be coming soonish-ish. I think/hope.
Thanks. Missed the esp2 deadline, but begged to let me have one and they let me have one after the cutoff date. They said never again, but I bet they do it all the time.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I'm getting back into Mushihimesama, and playing it on Switch.

I got really bogged down in worrying about fire-rate and maximizing score back in the day. I was playing on the old PS2 version then, and ended up just spending a ton of cycles restarting and stressing all that crap. I just want to focus now on a basic survival clear.

Given that, what fire-rate and shot type do we recommend?
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Speed or Wide are the good shot types. The middle one doesn't give you enough of either speed or power.
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

for my 1CC of original mode I just used the blue S-power for the sake of speed. I would probably use a different shot type on maniac. just used built in full autofire though, didn't mess with anything else
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

DDP: Resurrection physical goes up for sale on 9/2 through 10/2.

https://limitedrungames.com/collections ... surrection