"Unpopular Gaming Opinions"

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Sumez

Re: "Unpopular Gaming Opinions"

Post by Sumez »

That's the X360 Ninja Gaiden II, not the NES one ;P It too is a modern game, brah.
People in the other thread weren't arguing that modern AAA releases barren of gameplay should be defended, but rather that good modern games are also still being created, you just gotta ignore the mainstream (and indie) garbage.
drauch

Post by drauch »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:drauch wrote:
Yeah, NFL2k and 2K1 were in the top 10 of sales from what I'm finding. Which sucks. Sonic Adventure was at the top.

To be fair, NFL2K was fucking amazing.

Yeah, not sure what that's all about. 2k completely revolutionized sports games, then 2k1 refined that to be one of the best games ever. Sports or otherwise
It's about football being the scourge of humanity. The only thing worse than football video games is actual football. I have more unpopular opinions than I lead on! :mrgreen:

Oh wait, shit, I've got another: P.T. ruined horror games. And whoa, yeah I know, not like there was much horror stuff coming out at the time, but onwards after that gawddamn demo there has been infinite BOO! haunted house simulators where you just walk around waiting for loud crescendos.

Hyperbolic of course, because trash like Outlast came out the year before, but the trend hasn't let up with this sort of garbage. Five Nights at Fucklord's came out the same month, which is probably equally responsible to the creation of the jumpscare simulator. This stuff stinks and breeds like rats.
Last edited by drauch on Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

drauch wrote:It's about football being the scourge of humanity. The only thing worse than football video games is actual football. I have more unpopular opinions than I lead on! :mrgreen:
I'd argue that the military industrial complex is a greater scourge on humanity, but that doesn't reflect on 90% of shmups deciding that a single chud in an experimental fighter jet is literally the only thing that can save humanity. You know, because they're just games. My copy of NFL2K isn't shouting racial slurs and beating it's partner during offseason 'roid rages, you know?

Hell, international football is far more of a scourge than the American kind. When was the last time you saw a riot break out at an NFL game?
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I know more than a couple people that absolutely can't stand stand football but loved playing 2K1
drauch

Post by drauch »

Air Master Burst wrote:
drauch wrote:It's about football being the scourge of humanity. The only thing worse than football video games is actual football. I have more unpopular opinions than I lead on! :mrgreen:
I'd argue that the military industrial complex is a greater scourge on humanity, but that doesn't reflect on 90% of shmups deciding that a single chud in an experimental fighter jet is literally the only thing that can save humanity. You know, because they're just games. My copy of NFL2K isn't shouting racial slurs and beating it's partner during offseason 'roid rages, you know?

Hell, international football is far more of a scourge than the American kind. When was the last time you saw a riot break out at an NFL game?
The NFL is an inside job. They put thermite paint on the hangers, which was disastrous for the production of fighter jets, hence the single 'chud' fighters. They actually did a huge cleanup of NFL2K copies when it came out and burned them all because the originals had racial slurs all over it. It was terrible and verified.

I saw three riots yesterday.
Air Master Burst

drauch wrote:I saw three riots yesterday.
You'd think they would have learned their lesson after everyone hated the Thursday night games so much.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Air Master Burst wrote:Mario 64 had major wow factor for people coming from SNES or whatever, but I had already played a bunch of Magic Carpet on PC so it really didn't do anything for me personally.
I don't understand this comparison, especially given they look and play completely different. There were plenty of 3D games for MS-DOS before Super Mario 64 appeared (Descent and Descent II were both released before Super Mario 64) but what made SM64 was how well it nailed 3D platforming. It essentially set the rules of the genre and remains one of the definitive examples of 3D platforming done well. There basically weren't any other big name 3D platformers at the time, it simply wasn't a genre yet.

It's especially impressive given it was before the twin analog sticks era of controls which would improve camera handling. It also has an incredible amount of freedom in terms of how you go about getting stars, with many of them having perfectly viable alternate routes to them once you get good at stuff like wall jumping, making it really fun to replay.

The music's good, and visually it's a far more vibrant and interesting world than Magic Carpet was aesthetically, which relied on a lot of similar looking environments, and had far less interesting controls.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Sima Tuna wrote:How dare you!

God of War 1 has the only story in the series that makes sense. All the ones after that became overwrought melodrama, where Kratos crybullied the gods and proclaimed his victimhood while standing knee-deep in the gore of people who never wronged him. GoW 1 was still firmly in the "epic tragedy" genre. It's hard to argue with the righteousness of Kratos' journey when Ares is literally in the background burning and destroying shit as a giant kaijiu, and taunting Kratos with the ghosts of his dead family.

The shortness and other flaws of GoW 1 are a product of it being the first one. The subweapon thing, however, is a common issue for most of the games. The chains of olympus feel so amazing to use that it's hard to justify using anything else. That's been a problem in every (classic) GoW game.
Can't agree more on the story department it works as standalone, hell you could just play this and don't play the rest you won't miss anything.

Have you tried the PS3 entries? III had more combos, gargantuan boss fights, and tech demo for PS3 too although it's easier than II. Since you like the blades only combat Ascension will deliver some good time, they stripped subweapons and giving element upgrades for your blades instead. It locks all the familiar combos behind "Rage Meter" so you need some strategic combat which I liked. I haven't finish it yet, got to the infamous Trials of Archimedes but in the next day the HDD got corrupted and I had to force format the HDD.
Air Master Burst

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:The music's good, and visually it's a far more vibrant and interesting world than Magic Carpet was aesthetically, which relied on a lot of similar looking environments, and had far less interesting controls.
Magic Carpet couldn't make the world as vibrant because it had fully destructible/transformable environments. I personally thought the control scheme and the tools you were given were both far more interesting than boring old Mario, who mostly just jumped and punched. Mario 64 doesn't play much differently than Relentless, or Sonic 3D Blast, or the GBA Spyro games, or any other number of isometric 3D platformers. The only real difference is the camera angle.

Also Mario 64 kinda handles like crap and always did. If we're going that route, Jumping Flash should get the credit instead even though it also handles like crap and nobody ever played it.

ETA: the first 3D platformer I can remember NOT handling like crap was probably Rayman 2.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Air Master Burst wrote:Magic Carpet couldn't make the world as vibrant because it had fully destructible/transformable environments.
Whether the environment is destructible or not has little impact on the fact that a world that's meant to aim for a more realistic look consisting of ocean and desert is not going to have a terribly vibrant, as in saturated, colour scheme, even before you start shooting everything with meteors.

Mario 64 doesn't play much differently than Relentless, or Sonic 3D Blast, or the GBA Spyro games, or any other number of isometric 3D platformers.
Sorry, is this a joke?

boring old Mario, who mostly just jumped and punched
Ah yes, boring old Mario. Same as with boring old Mega Man who jumped and shot things, or boring old shmups where you move around and shoot things all the time, right?

Super Mario 64 built on previous games for its mechanics. Not just stuff like Super Mario World, but also Donkey Kong (GB) which introduced more complex mechanics like the backflip and triple jump. SM64 then developed sliding, wall jumping, and translated those effectively to 3D.

I don't understand the comparison to Jumping Flash; being a first person game that handles nothing like SM64, it doesn't compare. Its jumping and camera handling is nothing like SM64, and is more like Alpha Waves from 1990 if anything, an even earlier platformer where you can freely control your position during your ascent and descent when jumping, using your shadow to see your landing position.

Also Mario 64 kinda handles like crap and always did.
It's alright to admit you're bad at a game without taking out your frustration on the game. Though this does explain why you can't distinguish it from far shallower isometric games. The presence of wall-jumping alone is a radical design that gives you freedom in how to tackle the environment, much like how wall jumping and other techniques led to sequence breaking in Super Metroid and generally being recognized as being one of the most open-ended and fun Metroid games.

---

Okay, so SM64 aside, I guess my contribution is I didn't think Secret of Mana (SNES) was all that good. I remember I peeved a lot of forum goers when I mentioned I didn't find it terribly enjoyable, even playing it with a friend. I still maintain it's overrated and was not a memorable experience for me. The only real noteworthy thing about it is it's an early example of a multiplayer RPG, a relative rarity, but it's not honestly all that great either in single or multiplayer for various reasons. 5/10 or 6/10 game, tops.
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Air Master Burst

Oh, I've beaten Mario 64 several times. I'm neither good nor bad at it, but I'm at least competent enough to finish it. The jank controls made it a chore, though. There's a lot of good things about Mario 64, but even as a grade-school kid in 1996 I just assumed the only reason some kids were so blown away was because they didn't know anyone with a gaming PC. Mario Sunshine revamped the controls significantly, and Mario actually handles well in that game instead of randomly spinning in circles at the slightest tap of the stick, so it's not like Nintendo didn't agree with me.

Jet Set Radio is my favorite game ever. It also has a shitty camera and handles kinda janky. I'll defend it to the death as a great game, but no combination of loyalty and nostalgia could ever make me try to defend the camera or handling. I'm excellent at Jet Set Radio despite the janky controls and camera because I love it to death.

ETA: I always love how anything but unfettered praise of Mario 64 is basically like kicking gamers of a certain age directly in the crotch.
Last edited by Air Master Burst on Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Mario actually handles well in [Sunshine] instead of randomly spinning in circles at the slightest tap of the stick
I'm not going to disagree with you re: Mario Sunshine, it's a very underrated entry in the series and deserves praise, but this doesn't sound like my experience at all with SM64. Early analog sticks were a bit prone to breaking and a flaky deadzone could be an issue, is it possible you just had controller issues? Or, in an emulator you can adjust controller deadzone better to avoid this problem too.

On the actual console, if you had "ghosting", I think the universal shortcut to recenter/calibrate the stick was holding L+R and pressing Start.
ETA: I always love how anything but unfettered praise of Mario 64 is basically like kicking gamers of a certain age directly in the crotch.
I don't think fans of SM64 will fault you if 3D platforming is simply not your cup of tea, but making up ridiculously unfounded claims about it that make it look like you've barely played the game is certainly likely to annoy people.
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Air Master Burst

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Mario actually handles well in [Sunshine] instead of randomly spinning in circles at the slightest tap of the stick
I'm not going to disagree with you re: Mario Sunshine, it's a very underrated entry in the series and deserves praise, but this doesn't sound like my experience at all with SM64. Early analog sticks were a bit prone to breaking and a flaky deadzone could be an issue, is it possible you just had controller issues? Or, in an emulator you can adjust controller deadzone better to avoid this problem too.

On the actual console, if you had "ghosting", I think the universal shortcut to recenter/calibrate the stick was holding L+R and pressing Start.
Bit of hyperbole here (it's only the one circle), but the 360-spin-instead-of-precision-turn issue was also present on the DS version, so I think there's something else going on.

Also, the wing cap can die in a fire.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Mario can quickturn on a time if he's at or near a standstill, but otherwise if he's already in motion, turning towards the opposite direction will force him to do an actual turn (or quickturn/u-turn if you quickly jam the stick in the opposite direction. If you want to quickly change directions without dealing with the inertia in running causing unwanted turning (if you fail to trigger the u-turn), just stop moving first, do a ground pound, etc. Honestly this wasn't an issue, but I can see if you're used to 3D platformers that have limited inertia and let you change directions on a dime that it'd be difficult to get used to.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Did we move on from "unpopular opinions" to "straight up making up stuff"? :D
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

copy-paster wrote:
Sima Tuna wrote:How dare you!

God of War 1 has the only story in the series that makes sense. All the ones after that became overwrought melodrama, where Kratos crybullied the gods and proclaimed his victimhood while standing knee-deep in the gore of people who never wronged him. GoW 1 was still firmly in the "epic tragedy" genre. It's hard to argue with the righteousness of Kratos' journey when Ares is literally in the background burning and destroying shit as a giant kaijiu, and taunting Kratos with the ghosts of his dead family.

The shortness and other flaws of GoW 1 are a product of it being the first one. The subweapon thing, however, is a common issue for most of the games. The chains of olympus feel so amazing to use that it's hard to justify using anything else. That's been a problem in every (classic) GoW game.
Can't agree more on the story department it works as standalone, hell you could just play this and don't play the rest you won't miss anything.

Have you tried the PS3 entries? III had more combos, gargantuan boss fights, and tech demo for PS3 too although it's easier than II. Since you like the blades only combat Ascension will deliver some good time, they stripped subweapons and giving element upgrades for your blades instead. It locks all the familiar combos behind "Rage Meter" so you need some strategic combat which I liked. I haven't finish it yet, got to the infamous Trials of Archimedes but in the next day the HDD got corrupted and I had to force format the HDD.
I remember hearing bad things about Ascension. But I never did play it.

I played God of War III. I remember not enjoying III as much as the other games. God of War 3 was the tipping point for me as far as the story becoming a massive pile of shit. Kratos at that point was just slaughtering people who were trying to defend themselves. Sure, the gods wanted him to kill Ares for their own purposes, but that was in GoW 1. By GoW 3, Kratos has made it clear that nothing anybody can give him is ever good enough and he's gonna destroy everything, ever. Normally an action game will at least pay lip service to the notion that my character is kinda heroic? In the ps2 god of war games and the psp ones, Kratos always had some stupid reason to do what he did, even though all of the reasons after GoW 1 were pretty thin. Ghost of Sparta had Kratos' brother. Chains of Olympus, he was on some hit job for the gods. God of War II, he was trying to help the Spartans in his own (stupid) way and still buttmad over Zeus. GoW III was Kratos tard raging for an entire game over some shit he should have gotten over in the last game.

I also wasn't the biggest fan of making so many weapons chain palette-swaps in God of War 3. Don't misunderstand me. For as much as the Chains of Olympus were the most fun weapons in the God of War franchise, I don't actually want all the weapons to be chains. My ideal solution to that problem would be for the team to have gone back to the drawing board on designing weapons. Try to come up with some that are so fun to use, they eclipse even the blades. Devil May Cry 3 is a fantastic game, but Rebellion isn't the most fun weapon in it. I think which weapon someone prefers will come down to their tastes in that one, but both Beowulf (rip and tear!) and Cerberus stand out as highlights. As does Vergil's Yamato. God of War never had quite the variety and quality of weapons of other hard action games. The magic was cool and some of the weapons could be useful for specific enemies, but the games were built around the Chains. It became really obvious with little things, like when you measure the length of your (away from enemy) dodge roll with the chain's reach. The spear and shield weapon in Ghost of Sparta was kinda cool. Maybe if they'd kept going with more experimentation along those lines.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Symphony of the Night is a D-tier game because of its truly awful level design, which somehow manages to get even worse in the inverted castle. Holy fuck that game is impossibly boring and the reason is entirely the level design. Castlevania was way better before it turned into a D-tier Super Metroid clone that has very little of what made Metroid or Castlevania fun in the first place.
Volteccer_Jack

Post by Volteccer_Jack »

I hate Mario as much as anybody and could surely post the most flaming hot takes about various Mario games, BUT

Mario 64 is truly a great game and one of the best 3D platformers around. Just don't go near the trash DS port, it controls terribly.
Kratos tard raging for an entire game over some shit he should have gotten over
All three GoW games have the same plot: Kratos tard raging for an entire game over some shit that he himself directly caused in a previous bout of tard rage.
Devil May Cry 3 is a fantastic game
Devil May Cry 3 is an inconsistent mess of a game and the fact that it has maintained popularity despite being utterly and completely surpassed in every imaginable way by 4, which was then doubly surpassed in every imaginable way by 5, is a true testament to the cow-like unthinking stubborness of what would it be overly-charitable to call a typical player's "taste."
"Don't worry about quality. I've got quantity!"
Air Master Burst

Volteccer_Jack wrote:I hate Mario as much as anybody and could surely post the most flaming hot takes about various Mario games, BUT

Mario 64 is truly a great game and one of the best 3D platformers around. Just don't go near the trash DS port, it controls terribly.
Devil May Cry 3 is an inconsistent mess of a game and the fact that it has maintained popularity despite being utterly and completely surpassed in every imaginable way by 4, which was then doubly surpassed in every imaginable way by 5, is a true testament to the cow-like unthinking stubborness of what would it be overly-charitable to call a typical player's "taste."
Super Mario 64 was utterly and completely surpassed in every imaginable way by Mario Sunshine, and yet...

ETA: And I actually LIKE Mario, I just never thought Mario 64 was anything other than pretty good for the time.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Volteccer_Jack wrote:
It's because while DMCV has hands-down the best gameplay, they've never come close to recreating the zaniness of Yuji Shimomura's cutscenes for 3.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Steven wrote:Symphony of the Night is a D-tier game because of its truly awful level design, which somehow manages to get even worse in the inverted castle. Holy fuck that game is impossibly boring and the reason is entirely the level design. Castlevania was way better before it turned into a D-tier Super Metroid clone that has very little of what made Metroid or Castlevania fun in the first place.
As someone who absolutely loves SOTN, I can wholeheartedly respect this take. I feel like you aren't really wrong about anything here (unlike those flaming hot made-up Mario takes XD). I just happen to enjoy the Metroidvania CV games anyway.
drauch

Post by drauch »

I may be associating OT with hXc side-scrolling too much, but I assume most people here would prefer a standard 'vania compared to the whole 'metroidvania'. I like 'em too, but I pine for a 'normal' one.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

New hot takes:

- Fuck games that are high-regarded because of blind nostalgia (which is actually pure shit), NES Makaimura and TMNT1 are examples.
- Fuck modern "retro-like" titles with no practice modes or stage select. "Play like what it was back in the day"? We're not living in 80s anymore.
- Related to 2nd take also fuck full run only method as the way to learn a game, I'm not like what I was during teenage days with more gaming time so savestates/stage select can save my time.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Sumez wrote:
Steven wrote:Symphony of the Night is a D-tier game because of its truly awful level design, which somehow manages to get even worse in the inverted castle. Holy fuck that game is impossibly boring and the reason is entirely the level design. Castlevania was way better before it turned into a D-tier Super Metroid clone that has very little of what made Metroid or Castlevania fun in the first place.
As someone who absolutely loves SOTN, I can wholeheartedly respect this take. I feel like you aren't really wrong about anything here (unlike those flaming hot made-up Mario takes XD). I just happen to enjoy the Metroidvania CV games anyway.
Yeah, the level design is... not great lol. I've tried to like the game; I've started at least 15 separate playthroughs (but only finished it 3 or 4 times, and each time was a struggle) and by the time I get halfway through the game I'm always like "no, stop. I just can't do it".

As for Mario, I've never played Super Mario 64 and I've only played the first world of Super Mario Bros. 3, which is supposed to be the best one, I guess.

Nintendo is weird, I think, and almost all of their stuff does nothing for me at all. As a kid, I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted both the NES and the SNES, but then one of the first things that I bought when I moved to Japan was an SFC, at which point I realized that the only thing on the system that I really care about is Super Metroid. Then I bought the Nt mini Noir and it just sits here and I am considering selling it to fund the purchase of a Toaplan PCB (probably Kyuukyoku Tiger because I sadly can't find Slap Fight or Hishouzame). The only things I really play anymore are 80s Toaplan games, though, so maybe I'm just weird.
chum

Post by chum »

I have a question. Unpopular where? Here? Elsewhere? Gaming opinions here in general are bound to be pretty niché.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Sotn:

Yeah i used to hate the inverted castle too until I realised you can overcome that shit with the toybox the game gives you.
Super jump everywhere, use fog to escape whatever gnarly situations you land in.
Wing smash for days.

good ol' vacation dracula

if you think it's a D-Tier game you just didn't get it. Or you weren't able to adapt.

I'd replay it 10 times over replaying SMet once.

maybe someone should tell me how to enjoy super metroid.. because i just didn't get it, or wasn't able to adapt.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

HoD is the best GBA Castlevania. Sure HoD is wacky, ugly, and iffy music. But it's actually fun to play. Just dash and murder everything. No random drop gacha bullshit to care about. Just play and enjoy.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Honestly THE worst take I've seen on here :lol:

Sooo imagine Ninja Gaiden NES with an invincibility cheat, that also stops you getting knocked back.
you could just run through and murder everything.
Would it be fun?
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Blinge wrote:Honestly THE worst take I've seen on here :lol:

Sooo imagine Ninja Gaiden NES with an invincibility cheat, that also stops you getting knocked back.
you could just run through and murder everything.
Would it be fun?
Go play HoD for awhile, than play Aria. Soma is a complete slug compared to Juste. Also Juste by himself has everything he needs to complete the game. Aria is all about the souls. Without them, the game is a slow and boring slog. And getting them requires one to grind, grind, grind. CotM had the potential to be best overall, but getting some of the cards is such a pain in the ass that people have made patches to skip the grind for them completely. Also CotM's difficulty is mostly based on enemies that can fly through walls and attack from off-screen. Rather poor game design. SotN is of course better than any of the rest, it was smart enough to make all the random drops completely optional extras that are fun to experiment with. I can deal with level based grinding, but Aria's pure luck based soul hunting is just something I have no time for anymore.
Air Master Burst

I actually really like HoD's castle layout, and the trippy dayglo neon visuals are kind of my jam. I also enjoyed the room decorations.

The difficulty is nonexistent, though, and that soundtrack... is not for me.

ETA: SOTN is pretty good, but as the sequel to one of my favorite games of all time it will always be a bit of a disappointment.