What are OK Baby cabinets like?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
D

What are OK Baby cabinets like?

Post by D »

I read they are Taiwan immitations of the Jaleco Pony IV cabinet and that they have bad joysticks and buttons and that you have to be careful to rotate the monitor because of wires that might break or come loose or something.

Compared to the original Pony IV
What about the plastic casing? Is it weak?
Monitor? another cheap brand?
PSU cheap?
It seems to me that this cab is being sold at Pony IV prices, as if it was an original Jaleco cab with original Japanese parts.
OK baby

Pony IV
D

not a bump

Post by D »

I might be buying an "Ok Baby" next week.
Does not anyone can help me out with a little info?
Or how about Jaleco Pony IV cabinets then anybody got info on those for me please.
When I buy an Ok Baby and it sucks you're gonna know about it.
Yes, that was a threat :lol:
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

OK OK you've scared me...

All I can say is that my local arcade had a couple of them, I played ESP RaDe on it one of the OK Baby(ies?) a lot (probably spent 80+ hours at the arcade playing it), I didn't really find anything too weird, the buttons and monitor were fine (although there were some faint vertical lines through it). The stick was a piece of ass bat-style though. Oh well, it's not really the cabinet's fault.

Besides, how often are you going to rotate the monitor anyway? Just leave it vertical and have fun.
D

Post by D »

iatneH wrote:OK OK you've scared me...

All I can say is that my local arcade had a couple of them, I played ESP RaDe on it one of the OK Baby(ies?) a lot (probably spent 80+ hours at the arcade playing it), I didn't really find anything too weird, the buttons and monitor were fine (although there were some faint vertical lines through it). The stick was a piece of ass bat-style though. Oh well, it's not really the cabinet's fault.

Besides, how often are you going to rotate the monitor anyway? Just leave it vertical and have fun.
:) sorry for the psychological abuse. Alright thanks for that tip. I will definetly look at the monitor in particular vertical lines. I think I'll bring a pcb and try it out with a game I know! I'm thinking of changing the sticks (and buttons perhaps) to white.
D

Post by D »

antron

Post by antron »

did you get one?
i would like to know how well it rotates.
these seem to be the only candy style cabs in my area.
D

Post by D »

When I get one the entire board is gonna know about it :)
As far as rotating, I forsee it will not be as easy as on my French N'Styl Masterplay cab. Where do you live? update your profile to show where you live. How much do they go for? are they heavily used? did you see them yet? website of the distibuter? pictures even?
antron

Post by antron »

I was at a dealer's the other day, and they had about 4 of them. They are putting Pac-Man's in them for people's homes. I didn't ask him to open it beacuse they weren't even open for business and he had already let me look through their graveyard of retro cabs. I'll go back this week for a better look and a price.
Eps

Post by Eps »

antron wrote:I was at a dealer's the other day, and they had about 4 of them. They are putting Pac-Man's in them for people's homes.
What the hell is wrong with people who buy cabs now? Jesus. Pac-Man is a great game, but... :shock:
system11

Post by system11 »

Eps wrote:
antron wrote:I was at a dealer's the other day, and they had about 4 of them. They are putting Pac-Man's in them for people's homes.
What the hell is wrong with people who buy cabs now? Jesus. Pac-Man is a great game, but... :shock:
A lot of people are totally alienated by modern arcade games. I can understand it - many of the people who played Pacman in their youth have fucking zero interest in dodging 1 million bullets per game. Of course, for authenticity the money would be better spent on a wooden upright cab.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
antron

Post by antron »

just more proof of how damn good looking candys are.
Eps

Post by Eps »

bloodflowers wrote:Of course, for authenticity the money would be better spent on a wooden upright cab.
That's the bit I was getting at -- as well as that having a dedicated multi-game cab JUST for Pac-Man seems a bit of a waste. Never mind, horses for courses, etc :)

To get back on topic, I'd be interested to hear more about these cabs too.
antron

Post by antron »

they want $1395 for a new OK Baby with a 15/24 kHz monitor.
they imported a bunch several years back. they have two new ones left and a few used.
they are Green Games in Memphis, TN
thats all i know so far.

what do you gus think of that price?
ill6

Post by ill6 »

OK Baby are overpriced crap... Buy Sega, Jaelco, Capcom or Taito.
Ord

Post by Ord »

That's way to much money for an OK Baby cab.
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
system11

Post by system11 »

Have you missed the part where he points out it's new. That means brand new. Go price up a Sega/taito cab brand new.
D

Post by D »

bloodflowers wrote:Have you missed the part where he points out it's new. That means brand new. Go price up a Sega/taito cab brand new.
With all do respect and I really mean that, the monitor is 24KHz max. And the fact that it's a Korean rip off and the fact that all parts are less quality, I would go for a Japanese cab with 24KHz max, you probably have a hrad time finding them new, but for that price I'd say you can pick whatever you want second hand in a real good state. The OK Baby I'm thinking of buying is second hand, I have not seen it yet. The guy first said 400 EURO, then I got him down to 300. I'm thinking of going to him and get the cab for 250. I guess in the end it all comes down to:
1 How the monitor is
2 How the cabinet itself is, scratches, dirty,
The joysticks and buttons probably need replacing in most cases.
A while ago I saw a Korean site that sold 40 of them at like $300 a pop.
Offcourse the price is for 40 units and there will be alot of extra costs, for shipping and handling, but not $ 40,000.-
antron

Post by antron »

well, i decided that what i really want is easy monitor rotation.
so i just ordered an egret 29 from matsu. that guy rocks.

but back to the OK baby.
i read that WEE CHIN sold the OK Baby molds to Kwong Wah (LAP KAY) toys.
but it is not listed on their site, so i sent them a email inquiring about the OK Baby.

someone really needs to start selling new candy cabs in north america at a good price.
$300+ $4000(shipping container)/40 = $400 per unit.
add console adapter from ultimarc and you are still under $500.

just what this guy is doing in the UK:
http://www.arcadecabinets.co.uk/
big century! what's that?
Ord

Post by Ord »

I got a Big Centuary cab from my wife as a wedding anniversary present. It's again a chinese brand cab that has a tri-sinc monitor that uses the same brand monitor chassis as the Egret 3/Atomiswave cabs.
The monitor can be rotated, however I believe that this would best be done with 2 people.
Atomiswave games look very good and the monitor picture quality really is pin sharp. I changed the buttons to seimitsus and kept the Sanwa sticks as they were.
With the cab I got an X-Box and PS2 console/JAMMA adapter as well as a JPAC for hooking your PC into the cab if you wanted to play MAME. I just recieved the Dreamcast/JAMMA adapter too.
It's a great cab, in which I've had a lot of fun playing games on.
lmn4096

Post by lmn4096 »

@Ord: post a pic of it :D
I love to see at the others cabs
Ord

Post by Ord »

lmn4096 wrote:@Ord: post a pic of it :D
Here you go :) -

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
And here are some pics of it with a tated and regular screen. This is running on someone elses cab using the Dreamcast/JAMMA adapter.
ImageImageImageImage
system11

Post by system11 »

Ord wrote:
lmn4096 wrote:@Ord: post a pic of it :D
Here you go :) -
I've got one of those too - not bad at all, especially considering the price. Mine has a bit of a screen sync 'twitch', but that's down to the PC and mass of strange video wiring - it was absolutely perfect with a JAMMA pcb. Click pic for full page of info.

Ord

Post by Ord »

That's a great mod job on the cab BF. I love the marquee and cp. 8)