Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
defected78

Re: Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021

Post by defected78 »

Sussed it. Seems you have to push the image up so it overscans at the top out of range while the size is 100 percent. After that scale the whole image up and it alligns.

Fidly but it will do.
BloodHawk

Post by BloodHawk »

Astro City II wrote:
IDruggedShamu wrote:Has anyone had the opportunity to play the Xbox version of this? I've read the reports of the DS IIX mode having zero slowdown on PS4, while the Switch version seemed to be better. I'm only interested in purchasing this collection once and would prefer this on the Series X, but willing to cop on Switch if it's the only version with proper IIX slowdown.
There's slowdown in the Arcade and Arrange modes but the IIX mode has none from what I've played so far. The game feels really nice and responsive on Series X.
I have been thinking about picking this up on the Series X. I saw that City Connection announced another patch on 1/31 that mentions addressing slowdown for Deathsmiles but nothing about Deathsmiles II. Anyone know if the lack of slowdown for DS IIX mode has been addressed yet?

EDIT: I went ahead and bought it for XSX and there is definitely still no slowdown in DSIIX, I haven't tried Arcade or Arrange yet.

As others already mentioned, the input lag is okay. Definitely feels identical to other games in the 4 frame range. I saw that this collection was a frame or so more than the X360 ports, but I was really hoping that the VRR from the XSX would help offset that. This is technically an Xbox One title though, so I am not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Acid

Post by Acid »

Can somebody explain how to get the PlayStation trophies for throwing a familiar at any level and maintaining fever mode for 60 seconds?

Can I also get a simple strategy for scoring points in Deathsmiles I? Level order and when to activate power mode?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Acid wrote:Can somebody explain how to get the PlayStation trophies for throwing a familiar at any level and maintaining fever mode for 60 seconds?

Can I also get a simple strategy for scoring points in Deathsmiles I? Level order and when to activate power mode?
Here's one with level order for Power-Up drops: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =645982543

I always tend to plan routes around Power-Up needs.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Acid

Post by Acid »

Thanks. I already 1CC'd Deathsmiles I (and II obviously), but I want to do it with all the DLC characters too, so I want as many extra guys as I can get. I still can't figure out how to get those two other trophies despite how apparently easy they are to get. Yes, I enjoy going for trophies in addition to 1CC's and score. I know lots of people here think it's silly.
SPM

Post by SPM »

^ Nah... as long as you're having fun it's not silly. Silly would be going for trophies you don't enjoy, just for the trophy. Like working for 1CCs in games you don't like, just for the 1CC. Pointless. (But even then... Some people seem to enjoy that, so who knows...)
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Acid

Post by Acid »

Indeed. Deathsmiles I is quickly becoming possibly at worst a top 5 favorite shooter of mine.
BloodHawk

Post by BloodHawk »

So although I picked this up for the XSX earlier I was also thinking about picking up a physical copy for the Switch. I saw that SLG's website still had some stock left as of a few days ago, but since it is was getting close to their estimated March/April ship dates the last 6% of stock went very quickly (it was previously stagnant for months). I ended up deciding to pass, but I found it weird that literally the day after it sold out for the Switch they then updated their estimated ship dates and pushed it back 3 months :mrgreen: .
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

BloodHawk wrote:So although I picked this up for the XSX earlier I was also thinking about picking up a physical copy for the Switch. I saw that SLG's website still had some stock left as of a few days ago, but since it is was getting close to their estimated March/April ship dates the last 6% of stock went very quickly (it was previously stagnant for months). I ended up deciding to pass, but I found it weird that literally the day after it sold out for the Switch they then updated their estimated ship dates and pushed it back 3 months :mrgreen: .
Wati, what?!?! NOOOOOOOOO!

OK, it's pretty much expected from them.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

FWIW if you don't care about packaging language, the Japanese retail release comes with English in-game and you can get it really easily.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Ms. Tea wrote:FWIW if you don't care about packaging language, the Japanese retail release comes with English in-game and you can get it really easily.
For sure, but without the DLC and without the patches (while it's not clear if the SLG one has the patches).
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

XtraSmiley wrote:
Ms. Tea wrote:FWIW if you don't care about packaging language, the Japanese retail release comes with English in-game and you can get it really easily.
For sure, but without the DLC and without the patches (while it's not clear if the SLG one has the patches).
Also basically the same price but you get several extra things with the SLG release over the Japanese one.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Deathsmiles I・II coming to Steam this Summer:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1884 ... miles_III/

Including:

Deathsmiles: Arcade / Normal / Ver 1.1
Deathsmiles Mega Black Label: Arcade / Normal / Ver 1.1
Deathsmiles IIX Merry Christmas in Hell: Arcade / IIX / Arrange
BloodHawk

Post by BloodHawk »

FunktionJCB wrote:Deathsmiles I・II coming to Steam this Summer:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1884 ... miles_III/

Including:

Deathsmiles: Arcade / Normal / Ver 1.1
Deathsmiles Mega Black Label: Arcade / Normal / Ver 1.1
Deathsmiles IIX Merry Christmas in Hell: Arcade / IIX / Arrange
Going to have to double dip. I knew I should have had more patience and just waited :mrgreen:

Hopefully it's ported over decently.
MidnightWolf

Post by MidnightWolf »

I wishlisted Deathsmiles l & II on Steam.
Then I removed it from my wishlist a few hours later.
Then I wish listed it again.
Then I removed it from my wishlist again.

Thing is, I already have Deathsmiles I on Steam (which is an amazing port), but after seeing gameplay of Deathsmiles II on Youtube, I just can not deal with having it in my game library, so I'm going to take hard pass.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I am no graphics whore and most SHMUPs I play are older games like Scramble Spirits, Varth and Pulstar, so it's not like I demand "super crisp 4K eye candy" or anything, but there was no excuse for CAVE to release such an ugly mess of a game, even if cash was tight and/or they were still experimenting with 3D back then.

I hope that Deathsmiles I & II is a great port to current gen for everyone who is looking forward to it, but it's not something for me.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

I had my fair share on the 360 but I'll buy it anyway just so CityConnection doesn't get any second thoughts on Akai Katana Steam :wink:
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Steam release date is June 23rd, Japan will be getting a "LE with bonus items and a download code" physical release.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Looks like Strictly Limited copies are now shipping (at least on Switch). I actually forgot I had this on pre-order and already have the Japanese copy. Sigh. This will be the fourth copy in my collection.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Jonpachi wrote:Looks like Strictly Limited copies are now shipping (at least on Switch). I actually forgot I had this on pre-order and already have the Japanese copy. Sigh. This will be the fourth copy in my collection.
Yep, I also got an email that mine has shipped. Time to hope it doesn't get lost in transit like my Darius Cozmic Collection LE did... To SLG's credit, they did ship me a replacement after my shipment disappeared in customs - so, good customer service. But it took a looooong time to get my game.

I'm starting to build quite a little Deathsmiles collection myself. This is going to be copy #6 for me for Deathsmiles, and #5 for DSIIX. I think I can probably stop now. Still not 100% sure why I thought I needed 2 copies on Switch (though the SLG release having DLC on cart is nice)...

Deathsmiles 1:
1) Xbox 360 (Japan, physical) - this was purchased alongside my first J-360 :D
2) Xbox 360 (US, physical)
3) Steam (US)
4) PS4 (Japan, PSN)
5) Switch (Japan, physical)
6) Switch (Worldwide, physical)

Deathsmiles 2:
1) Xbox 360 (Japan, physical)
2) Xbox 360 (US, un-localized XBLA download version)
3) PS4 (Japan, PSN)
4) Switch (Japan, physical)
5) Switch (Worldwide, physical)
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

hamfighterx wrote:I'm starting to build quite a little Deathsmiles collection myself. This is going to be copy #6 for me for Deathsmiles, and #5 for DSIIX. I think I can probably stop now.
What, no PCBs? Also, you better be able to whip out some Windia's Dark Urine to begin to be taken seriously.

Back on the SLG front, I have the PS4 standard edition ordered, and no email yet, so presumably only the Switch one is on its way out for the moment.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Just got the tracking number for the PS4 standard edition from SLG, so hopefully it'll be on its way soon.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

BulletMagnet wrote:Just got the tracking number for the PS4 standard edition from SLG, so hopefully it'll be on its way soon.
Same!
IDruggedShamu

Post by IDruggedShamu »

BloodHawk wrote:I went ahead and bought it for XSX and there is definitely still no slowdown in DSIIX, I haven't tried Arcade or Arrange yet.
Yeah I wound up caving (heh heh) and purchased the XSX ver. as well, in hopes of them addressing the slowdown issue in the future.. It's far too late for me to refund. Live and learn I guess.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

My Switch version arrived safe & sound today.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Do we know if the western release available for preorder is the same build as previous current gen release?
guigui

Post by guigui »

Sengoku Strider wrote:My Switch version arrived safe & sound today.
I also ordered this game on Strictly Limited Games, order says : Deathsmiles I・II Collector's Edition (NSW) - Preorder - Order #SLG159313

No infos about it all, though. Did you get any notification about shipping prior to receiving it ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

guigui wrote:
Sengoku Strider wrote:My Switch version arrived safe & sound today.
I also ordered this game on Strictly Limited Games, order says : Deathsmiles I・II Collector's Edition (NSW) - Preorder - Order #SLG159313

No infos about it all, though. Did you get any notification about shipping prior to receiving it ?
Yep, got an email in my inbox 9 days before I posted that.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

guigui wrote:Collector's Edition
That's probably the reason, according to their updates page they've only started shipping the standard editions (same goes for Cotton Fantasy); my PS4 Deathsmiles standard version also got here a little ways back.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Oh sure, thank you for the clarification. So the wait continues.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Is anyone getting the PC version? It releases in a few days, and I'm thinking about getting it. I have nothing to compare it to, as I've never played any of these games, so I hope it's good. I'll wait until after it's released to see if there's a reason to get one of the other versions instead, as I still don't trust Shitty Connection.