What are your favorite Game Soundtracks?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
KimagureMachibuse

What are your favorite Game Soundtracks?

Post by KimagureMachibuse »

I believe that game soundtracks can be very varied and have unique style to their compositions not really being limited to the system they were originally on as the case with the Sega Genesis. When it comes to the way they are overall composed i am mainly into PCM and RedBook CD Compositions but still really like the sound of FM Synth music.

I am interested to hear the Game Soundtracks you listen to

These are my personal favorite that I listen to quite often
Id like to here your opinions on my choices as i do study the compositions of soundtracks quite a lot

Nights Into Dreams It captures that feeling of being set in a dream world and i like the use of instruments also included in the soundtrack is a arranged version of Final Fever from Sonic CD Japanese soundtrack

Klonoa Door To Phantomile similar to Nights it has a dream like quality to the music but with a techno etherial quality to it I have no problem saying this is the best sounding PCM quality music

Sonic CD Japanese Soundtrack The most Sonic the hedgehog esque music when it comes to the classic games
the us soundtrack is solid but has less variety

Rayman CD Soundtrack The music in this game is absolutely stunning and beautiful
need i say more

Spyro The Dragon I feel this game has an overall fantastic soundtrack some favorites of mine are Lofty Castle Toasty and Ice Cavern. I even believe this game soundtrack outshines banjo kazooies soundtrack by a long shot

Pac-Man World 20th Anniversary most of the songs consist of remixes of tracks of the arcade game but still sound really great and some of the music are original also the PCM Tracks may be quite compressed compared to the redbook tracks but still manages to be of really good quality

Ecco The Dolphin Sega CD It captures the feeling of being underwater i mainly like Jurassic Beach but The Vents and title theme are great vast improvement over the FM Renditions

Kisuishou Densetsu Astal The music in this game absolutely complements the stunning and gorgeous visuals

Dynamite Headdy the track that plays in the stage Fire Carnival is the main reason i like this soundtrack yet the game still excels in the music

Sonic 3D Blast Sega Saturn soundtrack The Sega Genesis Renditions are of decent arrangements however i vastly prefer the Sega Saturns soundtrack having the most unique soundtrack for a sonic game

Ristar The Shooting Star Although this game may be a late release its soundtrack it is certainly full of great songs and the game itself is full of quality

Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius CD Soundtrack The Super Famicom renditions are fine but Those CD renditions are by far more better sounding

Guardian Heroes I like the jazzy instrument used in most of the songs and the compositions caught me offgaurd on how great they were

Knuckles Chaotix An unusual game in the series of sonic but soundtrack is full of favorites of mine

Gunners Heaven Both BGM Type A and B mostly have the same music but this soundtrack has grown on me

Ms Pac-Man Maze Madness All the music in this game are all original compositions and as an added bonus The Dreamcast version included the Original uncompressed soundtrack
Last edited by KimagureMachibuse on Sat May 14, 2022 11:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NYN

toot toot sonic warrior

Post by NYN »

KimagureMachibuse wrote:Sonic CD
Which one? Both? Why?
WhatImageeven mean, though?!
KimagureMachibuse

Re: toot toot sonic warrior

Post by KimagureMachibuse »

Ronyn wrote:
KimagureMachibuse wrote:Sonic CD
Which one? Both? Why?
The Japanese Soundtrack because of its otherworldy soundtrack and it sounds more sonic the hedgehog esque over the US soundtrack
XoPachi

Re: What are your favorite Game Soundtracks?

Post by XoPachi »

Excluding Sonic and STG's otherwise this post would wrap around Earth.

Extreme-G They never quite got the series right after this amazing debut. I live the cold, smooth techno.

Super Smash Bros 64 I really think the series stylistically and audibly peaked here.

Metropolis Street Racer Richard Jacques and TJ Davis (and Brenda Vaughn!) made magic at Sega. I swear to God.

Turok Darren Mitchell made probably one of the more unique FPS soundtracks with this one.

Jet Force Gemini
Robin Beanland is the most overlooked composer. I tend to prefer him over David Wise. This game's music was so bold.

Vertexer Holy shit.

Tunic Amazingly soft music with some real variety. Really good tinges of melancholy even for the uplifting songs.

Manifold Garden Okada really gave this one some serious mystique with her work.

Tekken HEAT!

Ridge Racer HEEAAT!!
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Ruiner - Thumping, mindless, violence at its most naked.

King's Field IV - Rather than the grandiose tragedy and sadness of modern FromSoft titles, KFIV's OST exudes an uniquely poisonous and alluring depression. Even in its more peaceful tracks that atmosphere is still looming on the horizon--the sole release from the darkness is only brought during the very ending of the game.

Hellsinker - Unparalleled drama! Every track moves as if its very life is on the line.

Armored Core: Last Raven - Utterly inhuman, devoid of empathy or passion, and actively wants to kill you.

Gradius III (Arcade) - Let's shoot off into space! It's impossible not to get caught up in its energy!

Metal Black - Eschewing standard STG heroism, intensity or energy, Metal Black instead opts for something more introspective. The whole thing is one hell of a journey. The final arrange of non-fiction is the best piece of STG media ever composed for me. Resolve, finality, courage, all in one incredible last passage!
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Hellsinker's OST has got to be one of the best ever. Everything is so distinctive yet congruent and irrevocably tied to the gameplay. The Rusted Dragon theme is a particular highlight - invading the climax of the pensive stage 4 track, it fuses the game's signature meandering piano, uncomfortable irregular heartbeat bass, melodramatic string-like pads, unrelenting frantic synths in the back, sleigh bells (?) and sharp robotic drum rushes. I don't know what it intends to make me feel but it sure works.

As dumb as it sounds I'm even tempted to say putting the weakest tracks on the three Behind stages makes some sense. The player is locked into Behind until they're able to one-credit past stage 4. As soon as you understand the mechanics enough to do that, the game mirrors it by opening up in every direction - not just with wilder later stages, but more challenging early ones, 4 more shot types, and the stronger new music syncs up with all of this. Indie developers still entertain the idea of encouraging casual players with progression, but it's often "make a game such people fundamentally don't want to play and then prop it up with crutches" rather than stuff like this which will actually ignite interest... provided you're willing to scale the first hump.
o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

XoPachi wrote:Extreme-G They never quite got the series right after this amazing debut. I live the cold, smooth techno.
III is solid too, imo.

Other great soundtracks include:

Zombies Ate My Neighbors
VVVVVV
Final Fantasy IV in particular, but also parts of V and VI are great.
Secret of Mana
Soul Blazer

From this thread:

Metal Black, Gate of Thunder, Gleylancer, Centipede PS1 (I think, I actually haven't listened to it in two decades).

And of course, anything Konami touched bitd was gold, but especially Castlevania and Gradius had great music.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Mechwarrior 2, seems to go without saying one of the greatest videogame OSTs of all time, both for listening and for the feeling of being on an alien world immersion.

Total Annihilation was absolutely groundbreaking at the time, and I still think it's one of Jeremy Soule's best.

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is another all-time classic, of course.

Warhammer 40K: Mechanicus, the music is so wonderfully weird. Too bad the game it's attached to is weaksauce (My solution, replace the terrible OST in Sanctus Reach with the Mechanicus OST and get the best of both worlds!)

Lords of Magic was another one of those great soundtracks that absolutely transports you to another world. The circle of life, has no beginning or end...

G-Darius, speaking of wonderfully weird.

King's Bounty: Crossworlds, one of the most beautiful and delightful games in recent memory and music to match. I love how the title song will play for whole minutes and just when your attention wavers, they bring in an opera singer.

Jets 'n Guns, it may be the most euroshmuppy of the euroshmups, but damn if it isn't driven by some bangers.

Driftland: The Magic Revival, pretty game, pretty music.

Black Future '88, the single most sythwave videogame ever created, with a soundtrack to match!

I could keep going...
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Mischief Maker wrote:Black Future '88, the single most sythwave videogame ever created, with a soundtrack to match!
Can't help but think of RAC's Master Spy soundtrack (and other similarities between the games). Looks and sounds interesting!

Aside from the usual stuff, Dogyuun has a nice soundtrack, a bit underrated for arcade STGs.

Armored Core, Mark Morgan's Fallout, TES III Morrowind, Blast Corps, Crusader: No Remorse / No Regret, Dusk, Gungage, Heretic, Hitman series, Killer 7, Ninja Gaiden '04, Omega Boost, PSO, Rastan Saga III, RE, SH, Splinter Cell - Chaos Theory, UT, Vagrant Story (there it is again), Zeno Clash - just some of the OSTs hanging out in my music folder. Haven't done much listening lately, though...
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Mischief Maker wrote: Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is another all-time classic, of course.
I much prefer II and IV's soundtrack. Not why I'm replying to this, just need to say that anyone who likes Heroes of Might and Magic's music should spend a while browsing Heroes Orchestra: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeroesOrchestra/videos

Also I'm going to go:

Ar Tonelico
Final Fantasy VII
Persona 4
StarCraft
Turrican II
Valkyria Chronicles
Ys II
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Sonic 3&K
Thunderforce III
Castlevania IV
Castlevania Rondo of Blood
Castlevania SotN
Chrono Cross
Donkey Kong Country 1 ,2, and Tropical Freeze
Outrun 1&2
Super Hang On
Touhou 06 - Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
Touhou 07 - Perfect Cherry Blossom
Eschatos
Super Street Fighter II Turbo
Final Fantasy VII
VVVVVV
blazinglazers69

Post by blazinglazers69 »

Chrono Trigger is my all time favorite.

Metal Gear Solid
Space Megaforce
Super Castlevania IV
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Streets of Rage 1 and 2
Mega Man X
Lords of Thunder
Soldier Blade
Mega Man 2
Silent Hill 2
Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2
Earthbound
Super Metroid

Honorable mention to most of the Resident Evil Save Room themes with my favorite by far being Dead Aim and I didn't even play that game.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I fucking LOVE this sort of ultra video game music.

https://youtu.be/hTJOdyUFSIY