Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 Announced (GunSmoke, ECO Fighters)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Bassa-Bassa

Re: Capcom Arcade Stadium (NSW, Steam): Progear, Giga Wing,

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

BrianC wrote:
Creamy Goodness wrote:Although I still wonder what hits they could add.
Yes, I Wonder what 3 hits they could add.
Never really got much fun out of Chariot, and never knew why.
SPM

Post by SPM »

"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

I came here to post that Three Wonders will be part of 2nd Stadium, because the Steam page for Capcom Fighting Collection says the following:

«Capcom Arcade 2nd Stadium base game + Three Wonders set

The second Capcom Arcade Stadium title featuring a recreated arcade full of authentic cabinets to play. Coming soon with a new lineup of masterpieces! An additional title, Three Wonders, is also available as part of this set.

Note: Bonus content is available to customers who purchase by 23:59 on Friday 30 September, 2022.»

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1685 ... ollection/

:wink:
SPM

Post by SPM »

I wonder if they'll finally release a stand-alone collection or an add-on.

The first one doesn't have the best reputation so that could be one reason for it.
They could also have a different "launcher" this time with less input lag (and "bells and whistles"), that'd be even better :D
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
velo

Post by velo »

SPM wrote:I wonder if they'll finally release a stand-alone collection or an add-on.

The first one doesn't have the best reputation so that could be one reason for it.
They could also have a different "launcher" this time with less input lag (and "bells and whistles"), that'd be even better :D
I'd rather they'd make any fixes and improvements to the original as well. Plus I don't want to deal with two launchers.

Either way, I'm glad it's a whole new array of 32 games to equal the first.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

velo wrote:
SPM wrote:I wonder if they'll finally release a stand-alone collection or an add-on.

I'd rather they'd make any fixes and improvements to the original as well. Plus I don't want to deal with two launchers.

Either way, I'm glad it's a whole new array of 32 games to equal the first.
This. I already have a bunch of good games on CAS 1. I don't want to load up a separate launcher to move between (for example,) Warriors of Fate and Knights of the Round. Those games should be together in one package. Well, they are, but it's an entirely separate bundle where you have to spend like $20 to get eight games, most of which are on the CAS 1 package too... You see why this becomes ridiculous?

I can already tell you that a lot of the 30 CAS 2 games will be the unlicensed capcom titles which have been included in previous capcom collections, such as the ps2 capcom bundles and the beat em up collection. Expect to see Knights of the Round, The King of Dragons and of course Three Wonders. That's ok and all, but I'm sick and tired of being bilked for the same games over and over and never getting to see AvP arcade or Cadillacs and Dinos. In the case of a franchise like Alien or a studio like Mahvel, Capcom should know who holds the license and be able to come to some kind of arrangement with them.

I'd also really like it if Capcom would start packaging in the console ports with their arcade roms, so we can compare. Knights of the Round on snes is quite a different experience and rather more polished than the original.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Second Arcade Stadium begs the question that the first failed to answer ... IS CAPCOM GREAT? :wink:
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
velo

Post by velo »

Sima Tuna wrote: I can already tell you that a lot of the 30 CAS 2 games will be the unlicensed capcom titles which have been included in previous capcom collections, such as the ps2 capcom bundles and the beat em up collection.
If we rule out licensed games and the contents of the upcoming Capcom Fighting collection and assume they're not delving into 3D games, that narrows it down quite a bit. If a collection with Ghosts 'n' Goblins and Street Fighter wasn't selling great I doubt they'll have better luck with Magic Sword and Gun.Smoke, but hey it's a day one for me.
CecilMcW00t

Post by CecilMcW00t »

velo wrote:If we rule out licensed games and the contents of the upcoming Capcom Fighting collection and assume they're not delving into 3D games, that narrows it down quite a bit. If a collection with Ghosts 'n' Goblins and Street Fighter wasn't selling great I doubt they'll have better luck with Magic Sword and Gun.Smoke, but hey it's a day one for me.
I want Magic Sword all over my face! :mrgreen:
"I've always wanted a thing called Tuna Sasimi!"
velo

Post by velo »

CecilMcW00t wrote: I want Magic Sword all over my face! :mrgreen:
It's the one I missed the most from vol 1... so don't hog it all.

Hate to get my hopes up, but it might actually explain a few things if Capcom did secure the paperwork for one (or more?) of their licensed games. Seems unlikely but it also seems pretty unlikely that they'd keep mum for a whole year and then release a collection of 30 games with very little name recognition. AvP was on that ugly arcade stick thing. You never know.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I would really like to be proven wrong in my skepticism. I just haven't seen Capcom bring a licensed arcade game over since the early xbox 360 days, and they were all inevitably pulled from the storefronts.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Sima Tuna wrote:I would really like to be proven wrong in my skepticism. I just haven't seen Capcom bring a licensed arcade game over since the early xbox 360 days, and they were all inevitably pulled from the storefronts.
They released Dungeons & Dragons Chronicles of Mystaria on consoles in 2013 (I believe it's still there on some platforms, too). Not an arcade game, but they did Ducktales Remastered the same year, and put it out on smartphones in 2015.

So your general point isn't wrong in that those are not exactly recent, but mercifully not all the way back to the early 360 days of 2005/06 either.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

If we ever get the licensed stuff, they're not going to be bundled into a cheap collection. They'll be separate purchases, priced appropriately higher to cover the license.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
MidnightWolf

Post by MidnightWolf »

I bought most of the SHMUPs for CAS on Nintendo Switch, even with the reported 5 frames of lag, as it's nice to be able to play Progear and 19XX on the train to and from work.

Wouldn't touch any of these re-releases on PC though, even if i am a massive fan of Darkstalkers and tempted by the new 35th Anniversary collection. MAME is the only for me at home.

Not gonna get too excited about Capcom Arcade Stadium 2nd Collection just yet, unless they're adding NAOMI games.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Man, like Will Smith's parents before me, I guess I just don't understand.
The first Capcom Stadium proved to be thee gaming bargain of last year (going into this year). And now, they announce MORE, and people are like:
'Meh... blah blah no games left blah blah blah lag blah blah aliens blah blah whatever'
Spoiler
MJR

Post by MJR »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:Man, like Will Smith's parents before me, I guess I just don't understand.
The first Capcom Stadium proved to be thee gaming bargain of last year (going into this year). And now, they announce MORE, and people are like:
'Meh... blah blah no games left blah blah blah lag blah blah aliens blah blah whatever'
Spoiler
Welcome to the shmups forum!
MidnightWolf

Post by MidnightWolf »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:Man, like Will Smith's parents before me, I guess I just don't understand.
Spoiler
After watching the endless stream of Capcom, Namco and Konami cash-grab re-releases for over 30 years, I just don't get excited for this stuff anymore. They are banged-out every 5 minutes and most contain the same games over and over and over again.

I find it laughable that people get so excited about buying the exact same games repeatedly to be honest, and act like they are brand new releases every time... Bit like watching an elderly relative with Alzheimer's disease.

BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Capcom also hasn't had the same degree of care and attention, as well as extra quality of life additions to their rereleases that something like M2 Shottriggers has had. There was that double release of the D&D Arcade games that was pretty good though (aside from not indicating which difficulty mode corresponded to arcade default...).

M2 Shottriggers and Hamster (which focuses less on additional goodies and more about inexpensive releases of less known games) have both set the bar very high for how to do ports of arcade game.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

This Capcom Arcade Stadium brought the first home release ever of Progear, 1944, and 19XX by the company, and many others didn't have decent-enough versions. Emulation quality is more than anything the thing to complain about once again, it's still way worse than unofficial emulation.
velo

Post by velo »

So I tried to make a list of all the arcade games that were in the PS2/PS3/PSP Capcom collections or the plug-and-play stick, but aren't in new most recent Capcom Arcade Stadium or Capcom Fighting Collection:
  1. 1943 Kai
    Alien™ vs Predator™
    Avenger (Avengers)
    Block Block
    Black Tiger (Black Dragon)
    Buster Bros.
    Buster Buddies
    Capcom Sports Club™
    Eco Fighters
    Exed Exes
    Gun.Smoke
    Knights of the Round
    Last Duel
    Magic Sword
    Mega Man: The Power Battle™
    Quiz & Dragons: Capcom Quiz Game
    Side Arms
    SonSon
    Street Fighter
    Street Fighter II: Champion Edition
    Super Buster Bros.
    The King of Dragons
    The Speed Rumbler
    Three Wonders
    Tiger Road
Even including the long-shot AvP, that's only 25. The announcement says they're adding 32. So one way or the other, it won't just be the same ones they always re-release. Get hype for Saturday Night Slam Masters and Mars Matrix, maybe?
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

MidnightWolf wrote:I find it laughable that people get so excited about buying the exact same games repeatedly to be honest, and act like they are brand new releases every time...
Never bought Progear, wasn't available
Never bought Forgotten Worlds with proper control, wasn't available
Never bought 19XX, wasn't available

I would say those two are worth the $20 I spent. Was--say--Strider included on some other comp? Maybe. But, I never had it. I have it now, and as far as I'm concerned I got it for free.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:Was--say--Strider included on some other comp?
It was included with Strider 2 (the good one) for PS1.
SPM

Post by SPM »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:
MidnightWolf wrote:I find it laughable that people get so excited about buying the exact same games repeatedly to be honest, and act like they are brand new releases every time...
Never bought Progear, wasn't available
Never bought Forgotten Worlds with proper control, wasn't available
Never bought 19XX, wasn't available

I would say those two are worth the $20 I spent. Was--say--Strider included on some other comp? Maybe. But, I never had it. I have it now, and as far as I'm concerned I got it for free.
Never played them on a big enough handheld, wasn't available.
Never bought any of those collections, I wasn't gaming those years.
Etc etc.

Plus those who just want to enjoy the games on their current, usual platform. Or enjoy the leaderboards, sharing the experience with an active playerbase, etc etc.

There are endless reasons, not just buying the same thing over and over.

---

@velo that list alone makes me really excited, and it's not complete :D
velo

Post by velo »

SPM wrote: @velo that list alone makes me really excited, and it's not complete :D
Yeah, with 32 slots, I think everything that's not a "definite no" has a good chance to make it in. I still feel like Capcom might throw a curveball to add some hype: if not a surprise licensed game, then a 3D game, a console game, whatever.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Well I'm hyped. It's a great collection - on Switch at least - and I've certainly had my moneys worth.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
SPM

Post by SPM »

It seems we've got a date: July 22
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

About damn time they announced the release date. It was really weird they were holding back on that and low-key soft-announcing Stadium 2nd with so few details.

Guess I'll be checking the credits again for MAMEdev names right at launch, like I did with Stadium 1.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

SPM wrote:It seems we've got a date: July 22
That's Arle Nadja and Nico Yazawa's birthday!
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

xxx1993 wrote:That's Arle Nadja and Nico Yazawa's birthday!
And mine! :mrgreen:
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

FunktionJCB wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:That's Arle Nadja and Nico Yazawa's birthday!
And mine! :mrgreen:
Really?