Saint Dragon

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
MJR

Re: Saint Dragon

Post by MJR »

The boss is a real pain in the ass, but if you got few speeds on you, you should be able to do it all right.

All you have to do is to anticipate when the bullets are coming out of the chest, and then quickly pull either up or down.
After that it should be no problem.

I still havent time to fire the PCB, but I'm 100% sure that the boss is optional, at least on my board, depending on how many structures you destroy. Whether this is up to difficulty settings, or version of the board, I really don't know.
rcoltrane

Post by rcoltrane »

MJR wrote:The boss is a real pain in the ass, but if you got few speeds on you, you should be able to do it all right.

All you have to do is to anticipate when the bullets are coming out of the chest, and then quickly pull either up or down.
After that it should be no problem.

I still havent time to fire the PCB, but I'm 100% sure that the boss is optional, at least on my board, depending on how many structures you destroy. Whether this is up to difficulty settings, or version of the board, I really don't know.
Thanks for the ludicrous speed bullets tip. So if you die once, you have your speed reduced to default, right? This would make it almost impossible to beat that beast. So I have to kill him without losing a life :?

Regarding the boss skipping, is it possible to skip it in your PCB as well? I thought it was an emulation bug in MAME!! Could you verify that for us sometime please? It would be great to know that the PCB allows you to skip the 3rd boss too. At least on the US version of the PCB. System11 tested it for me once but according to him and his japanese PCB, the 3rd boss appears everytime, rather you destroy structures or none of them.

Regarding this boss subject, the only structure you actually have to destroy to make him to show up is the last one. It works for me everytime. Again, this happens in MAME, I don't know if it varies from PCB to PCB but I would highly doubt it.

UPDATE: (SPOILER ALERT) YEAH!! Finally I've managed to kill that freakin' 3rd boss, bastard! All you need to do is stay at the bottom left corner of the screen when the boss starts falling apart and have really quick reflexes to go upward when the 1st bullet comes out of the beast. But once you start moving upward you need to go forward too (doing a semi-circle type of movement), otherwise they will follow and kill you. The pattern is learned, but it's still VERY hard to accomplish, at least with the bouncing balls fire mode, which takes ages to kill the bastard.
rcoltrane

Post by rcoltrane »

Heh, increased my high score today to 604.300 after KILLING THE 3rd LEVEL BOSS and reaching level 4 for real now! :)
MJR

Post by MJR »

rcoltrane wrote:Heh, increased my high score today to 604.300 after KILLING THE 3rd LEVEL BOSS and reaching level 4 for real now! :)
Let me know if you want an actual entry.. ;)
Chaos

Post by Chaos »

16,187,400 - ALL - chaos - MAME - autofire on
image and replay

This game is really easy once you figure out what to do, only took me (I think) 2 credits to clear after practice. There are easy safespots for all of the hard parts. The safespot for the entire second half of stage 4 is particularly amusing (though I didn't stay in it the whole time in this run).

I might write a 1cc guide for it at some point, who knows.
dink

Post by dink »

12,992,800 ALL DNK finalburnalpha YES

Missed the stage 3 boss :( next time!!

MJR

Post by MJR »

Holy crap! Some impressive points here! I have work to do if I ever want to catch up with you guys :D

Updated
rcoltrane

Post by rcoltrane »

HOW DO I GET THROUGH THAT INCREDIBLY ANNOYING 4TH LEVEL??? I took a vacation from this game and now I'm returning to it to try completing with 1cc, but this level is a nightmare for me. Thousands of enemies coming from all directions, too many patterns to memorize, no safe spot... HELLLLP!
Chaos

Post by Chaos »

The first half shouldn't be too hard to memorize. You can use the stage 4 in my run as a reference for that part if you want, though I didn't play the second quarter of the stage very well in that run. Don't shoot the random debris unless it's safe to do so and use the dragon's body to protect the head from enemies/shots.

Once you reach the first invulnerability powerup, there's a safespot that works up until the boss. You can find it by lining up the top of the dragon's head with the highest large star in the background. It's not that precise, though I think slightly high is safer than slightly low.

Right after the first invulnerability powerup expires you should move backwards slightly to place the dragon's body in front to protect yourself from the other dragon's fire then move forward slightly to protect yourself from the enemies coming from behind. Don't move up or down after this point and you should be safe until the boss shows up.
MJR

Post by MJR »

I remember that it took me ages to get past lvl4, back in the day. This whole game is about memorizing safe spots. Once you got them, it becomes ridiculously easy.
MJR

Post by MJR »

I finally completed the PCB after I had autofire circuit installed! That took me only 32+ years..!

8'536'300 - ALL - PCB - Autofire