Visit Super Potato game shop at Akihabara in VR

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
MJR

Visit Super Potato game shop at Akihabara in VR

Post by MJR »

My friend, who amuses himself on creating VR rooms using photogrammetry, used the recent 4K tour video to create a 3D space of Akihabara's Super Potato video game shop, which you can visit on Mozilla Hub. There are even some coin op-displays running :)

Hub link

You can do it on browser, but I recommend using VR headset for maximal enjoyment. It is also possible to use this for virtual meetspace for virtual shmupmeets, if you want to :)

Fun tip: open this in browser two times, another for entering in desktop, another for entering on device. Start mame, run any game on mame but in display window, go to the other hub screen and use "share screen" - choose the window running mame, drag the shared screen on the coin op cabinet - and voila! You can have any game running on the cabinets on your VR meets.

There is also a hidden portal to a 3D gradius VR scene, but it's not difficult to find.

This is all done for fun - enjoy!
Sengoku Strider

Re: Visit Super Potato game shop at Akihabara in VR

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Super Potato is fun to see the collection, but their prices are absurdly jacked up because they know they're the prime destination for foreign tourists shopping for "rare" Super Mario Bros. games. Like, there's stuff that's ¥500-1000 at Book Off that goes for ¥3000-5000 at Super Potato. I say this as a public service, to avoid seeing any more "Check out this awesome haul from JAPAN!" posts where someone dropped their entire vacation spending budget on $115 worth of stuff.

Buzzkill over. Enjoy the video.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Good to know, so I won't burn my money if I ever visit Akihabara.

Visiting this VR hub won't cost you anything, thankfully!
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I went to Akiba and bought a few things, not from SP though.

I found their aisles to be cramped and a lot of the stock is below knee height and the spines are in Japanese.

I did buy from the Osaka SP store though. Not because they were cheap, but because they had stock nobody else had. Mind you i'm not really a person that looks at prices, I look at condition. Paying Y2000 over the odds for something that is in mint condition isn't unheard of for me.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I liked the tour vid, the VR thing was a nice attempt but maybe a little rough lol.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Udderdude wrote:I liked the tour vid, the VR thing was a nice attempt but maybe a little rough lol.
Yes, it is rough. It's photogrammetry, the 3D mesh is created automatically from a photo source. To make the actual detailed 3D mesh would take hundreds of hours, if more. When I viewed it in Oculus Quest, I felt that the space and feeling came across rather nicely anyway, which made it worth sharing in my mind.