shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun May 22, 2022 8:34 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Valis: The Phantasm Soldier Collection
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:28 pm 

Don't believe this has been posted here yet, Limited Run have got physical editions up for preorder of the Valis collection, complete with reversible covers letting you relive the hideous Western Valis III cover all over again:

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/neo-frontpage/products/switch-limited-run-137-valis-the-fantasm-soldier-collection-collectors-edition

The collection contains the first three PC Engine games. I own Super Valis IV on SFC, but I've never played the PCE version which is different in a number of ways, so it's a shame that's not included for whatever reason.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Valis: The Phantasm Soldier Collection
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:55 pm 

Yeah, kinda odd they wouldn't just make it a Complete PC Engine Anthology
They do mention "a new English localization", which I'm guessing is just for Valis 1 here since 2 & 3 already had English versions; so, maybe they just didn't want to bother localizing 4 yet? Who knows :V

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:26 pm 

Valis IV kind of broke me with how bad and cheap its stage design was, Valis games all have that problem (the Reiko fight in Valis 1 on the Genesis is almost entire down to luck and practically unwinnable at low power, the Rogles fight in PCE CD Valis 1 is practically unwinnable at low power, the river ruins section of Valis III). But every stage of valis iv is just a kick to the nuts with enemies cheap-shotting you. Drove me mad and I could never muster the energy to do my big write-up in my linked PCE CD thread.

I would have of course included it for completion's sake, but it's a real loss not to have the superior home-computer Valis II, particularly the X68000 version. Don't get me wrong, it plays like ass and has some of the worst i-frame (or lack thereof) and jump controls I have seen in a game, but the game has got STYLE man. Play the fan translation and get immersed in a grimy, grim, unpleasant little story with lots of edge. The PC Engine version of II is so neutered in comparison, considering it was their first attempt at a CD game and barely off the 8bit days.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:17 pm 

mamboFoxtrot wrote:
Yeah, kinda odd they wouldn't just make it a Complete PC Engine Anthology
They do mention "a new English localization", which I'm guessing is just for Valis 1 here since 2 & 3 already had English versions; so, maybe they just didn't want to bother localizing 4 yet? Who knows :V

Yeah, Valis 1, but also I believe these games use the Japanese vocals with subtitles, as opposed to the TG-16 voice acting.

EmperorIng wrote:
Valis IV kind of broke me with how bad and cheap its stage design was, Valis games all have that problem (the Reiko fight in Valis 1 on the Genesis is almost entire down to luck and practically unwinnable at low power, the Rogles fight in PCE CD Valis 1 is practically unwinnable at low power, the river ruins section of Valis III).

Have you played the SNES Valis IV? I remember it being pretty easy and getting through it in a weekend.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:32 pm 

I like this series a lot, but no doubt they have their problems. Cool that it's getting any sort of release in the first place, but hollllly god, 90 bucks is bonkers.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:24 pm 

drauch wrote:
I like this series a lot, but no doubt they have their problems. Cool that it's getting any sort of release in the first place, but hollllly god, 90 bucks is bonkers.

That's just the collector's edition. The standard version is $40:

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/neo-frontpage/products/switch-limited-run-137-valis-the-fantasm-soldier-collection

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:11 pm 

I actually prefer MSX Valis 2 over X68000 Valis 2. It just looks brighter, more colorful, and the MSX's PSG drums give it that weird extra kick.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:52 pm 

I'll place an order.

Should have included IV in some fashion, but I'm guessing development cost on this collection was kept very low since there's not even a Playstation version coming. Just shows how dominating the Switch is in Japan for small-time ports like this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:03 am 

EmperorIng wrote:
Valis IV kind of broke me with how bad and cheap its stage design was, Valis games all have that problem (the Reiko fight in Valis 1 on the Genesis is almost entire down to luck and practically unwinnable at low power, the Rogles fight in PCE CD Valis 1 is practically unwinnable at low power, the river ruins section of Valis III). But every stage of valis iv is just a kick to the nuts with enemies cheap-shotting you. Drove me mad and I could never muster the energy to do my big write-up in my linked PCE CD thread.

I would have of course included it for completion's sake, but it's a real loss not to have the superior home-computer Valis II, particularly the X68000 version. Don't get me wrong, it plays like ass and has some of the worst i-frame (or lack thereof) and jump controls I have seen in a game, but the game has got STYLE man. Play the fan translation and get immersed in a grimy, grim, unpleasant little story with lots of edge. The PC Engine version of II is so neutered in comparison, considering it was their first attempt at a CD game and barely off the 8bit days.

IIRC the version of Valis I played was III on the PCECD and the level design killed me as well. The levels were unecessarily long. And after a slog of a level you had to fight a hit sponge of a boss. Played it for a bit then said forget this. The saving grace was the soundtrack, but it had that issue that a lot of PCECD games have where the music volume is way too low.

Offline Profile