Questions about monitors & RGB converters

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
jpolz

Questions about monitors & RGB converters

Post by jpolz »

So I was planning on making my own cabinet with a vertically oriented monitor for use with my PC, PS2, & DC. What kind of converter would I need (assuming I use a 15Khz monitor)?
elvis

Post by elvis »

With a standard 15KHz monitor, you can hack the signal coming out of an RGB-SCART cable and use it to display through your monitor.

Complete howtos here:
http://www.mameworld.net/pc2jamma/
jpolz

Post by jpolz »

elvis wrote:With a standard 15KHz monitor, you can hack the signal coming out of an RGB-SCART cable and use it to display through your monitor.

Complete howtos here:
http://www.mameworld.net/pc2jamma/
What about older consoles that only have composite output? Would a converter/hack be any good, as the signal is only as good as the original composite feed?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Check gamesx.com as you can hack RGB from most older consoles.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

I think pretty much the NES and TG16 are the only consoles incapable of RGB. Everything from the SMS until today can spit RGB. (Not sure about the XBox)
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
PC Engine Fan X!

XBox can output in analog RGB 15 kHz easily...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The XBox can output in Japanese RGB via 21-pin setup...Matt used to sell them here in the Trading Zone on Shmups.com in the past. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

These consoles are definately RGB

SMS
Genesis/Megadrive
Saturn
Dreamcast

Sony PS1/PS2

Nintendo SNES
PAL Gamecube

(NTSC Gamecube can take an RGB feed from the digital output)

SNK Neo Geo

XBOX and 360

These consoles are definately not RGB

Any NEC console

3DO

NES

All the above can be modified to output RGB I believe, i've seen modded 3DO's and Duo's. I've never seen a modded NES/FC though.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
D

Post by D »

The thing about it is that in order to get video on your cab, it takes just a mere 5 wires!
So to get a feel of how it will play, i expect you already have a RGB scart cable for that particular console.
Thng to buy are:
1 a JAMMA fingerboard.
2 any cable or box that accepts a RGB scart cable (preferably with audio out so you can hook that up to amplifier)
Simply connect 5 point from the scart/cable box to 5 points on the JAMMA fingerboard.
Voila here you have your multi console to JAMMA video adapter. Now you can play all of your consoles on your cab.
When you have stereo tulips out, you can hook those up to your amplifier in stereo or you can hook up the audio mono signal to the JAMMA fingerboard if you settle for mono sound. Just remember to put your console or game in mono audio mode!
But now you just have video and audio, this was easy.
Getting the controls onto the cab is a B!7(#.
This means you have to hack a controller. I will not get into that, but it means you need to map about 10 wires per player to the jamma fingerboard. for 2 players it means 20 wires offcourse and you need to open up 2 controllers. You don't need to mutilate the controllers if done with care.
Now you ask yourself: "do I have to do the control mods for every console? not necesarily. There are converters. So you could basically mod a playstation controller and then buy joypad converters for you other consoles. Let's say an X-Box, there are converters that'll allow you to play with Playstation controllers on your X-box.
The posibilities are endless.
good luck