FALCOM Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
KAI

Re: FALCOM Thread

Post by KAI »

WTF!
Trail from Zero, Trails from Azure and Trails from Reverie are listed on epic store!

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p ... -from-zero
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p ... s-to-azure
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p ... to-reverie

Seriously, WTF!
Hope these also get a steam port, cause epic sux.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Seems these titles will be coming to other platforms as well, thankfully.

Personally, though, I can't even keep track of which of the Trails games go where in the series' chronology and am frankly not terribly eager to "catch up" on them (as if doing so was even realistically possible at this point), but if memory serves Nayuta is kinda-standalone and also lighter in tone than the others, so I might give that one a try.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

You might as well just start at the first Trails in the Sky and see how far you bother going.
Even that game itself has an episodic structure with a decent amount of closure for each individual chapter (though the game as a whole ends on a bit of a cliffhanger).
So it's not like you have to play everything in the series. But you might as well do them in order.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I do actually have the first two "Sky" games sitting around, but from what I recall they're pretty "basic" RPGs beyond the story/characters; I tend to fall more into the camp that can tolerate a dumb story if the nuts-and-bolts mechanics keep me interested, as opposed to the other way around, so I'm not sure they'll agree with me all that well. Moreover, some time back I did give the first of the "Cold Steel" games a try, but quit before finishing it, and that had more stuff going on with the combat and whatnot, so I'm probably a lost cause when it comes to this series. Which might be tragic if I didn't already have a backlog I'll never finish. :P
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I doubt any of the series is for you then.
It's really all about the characters, dialogue and storytelling.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Ys IX just dropped at GOG.

Looks like more VIII, but with increased verticality to the movement. Unfortunately the environments look extremely grey and bland.

Anyone have any hands-on impressions? I really don't want to drop 60 bucks for another bugfest that takes years to become playable.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I tried the demo on Steam (it's still there, if you want a whack at it yourself; I think it's on PS4 as well) and the one thing I can say about it is that despite my laptop being a ways over the minimum requirements it still chugged and wheezed like heck; others' mileage may vary, of course.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yeahhh I've heard stories about that D:
I was waiting for the Switch version, but sounds like that might not be a great move.
Last edited by Sumez on Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

I dicked around with the Ys IX demo a bit. Honestly I'm underwhelmed.

It plays pretty much exactly like VIII, but without the bright and appealing visuals. Did you enjoy switching to the bludgeoning character to take down giant crabs to collect crab meat? How about instead of on a sun-kissed beach you do the exact same thing in a dank grey sewer??? WOW!

The wallrunning and hookshot abilities are disabled during combat. Stupid me for expecting anything more than another Flash-Guard-fest. LAAAAAME!
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

I had a blast with Nayuta back when it was released on PSP. Prob the best action rpg on the system (I consider Oath in Felgana a PC game). The graphics were mind blowing for the system, not sure how well it'll hold up in HD. The story was very much stand alone, although I haven't played all of the Trails games.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Ys IX is a better game than VIII in my opinion :)

It starts off a bit boring but the prison town and the surrounding dungeons are actually pretty good. Later in the they also introduce color when you get outside the town area :)

It's a much more streamlined game than VIII. Not that it had a whole lot of terrible JRPG resource gathering quests compared to many other games, but in IX there is only one, and it's very simple and quick to complete as well. There's no Dana missions either (obviously), so they really don't waste your time in this game.

It's also much shorter which I appreciated a lot. 40 hours vs 65. I completed IX in about a week whereas in VIII I had to take a two and a half year break around the 30 hour mark :D

The only minor downgrade is the music. While still kickass it was better in VIII. I believe performance is worse in IX but as I played on PS5 I can't really speak to that. It ran at a pretty flawless 60fps throughout. They have since patched the game to run at 4K on the PS5 and I can't say how that impacts the performance.

The Switch version of VIII was already pretty poor, so I can't imagine that IX is any good on that platform.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

BulletMagnet wrote:I do actually have the first two "Sky" games sitting around, but from what I recall they're pretty "basic" RPGs beyond the story/characters; I tend to fall more into the camp that can tolerate a dumb story if the nuts-and-bolts mechanics keep me interested, as opposed to the other way around, so I'm not sure they'll agree with me all that well. Moreover, some time back I did give the first of the "Cold Steel" games a try, but quit before finishing it, and that had more stuff going on with the combat and whatnot, so I'm probably a lost cause when it comes to this series. Which might be tragic if I didn't already have a backlog I'll never finish. :P
The thing about the Sky games is they have an amazing story and world but fairly standard tactical rpg gameplay. If you'd prefer a generic/shit story and exceptional gameplay, then cold steel 1 is what you want. CS2 is an all-around great game but you can't go into that one without at least playing CS1.

I would seriously suggest you give Sky another chance and see if you can play far enough for the game to click. It's a very slow start on the story front. Most of the early game is character development, world introduction and (well written) small talk with npcs that ends up paying off later. When the story does get going, it pops off in a big way though. And unlike a lot of "first chapters," it ends on a cliffhanger AFTER wrapping up the current major conflict of the game. Even though the game cliffhangs you, I felt satisfied at the end with the fact the main conflict was resolved. Sky 2 is nonstop killer no filler (minus the prologue) from start to finish. It's also much more challenging, especially at the start.

CS3 and 4 get a big "stay away" from me unless you've played all previous Trails games from Sky onwards. Even apart from story spoilers, I felt CS3 was a big step down in terms of design. The entire game you spend faffing around with New Coke party members (most of whom are underage but have a fetish for your main character... sigh), and then Falcom dickmove you with the biggest and fattest cliffhanger cock of all.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Sima Tuna wrote:If you'd prefer a generic/shit story and exceptional gameplay, then cold steel 1 is what you want.
As I mentioned I had an honest go at the first Cold Steel awhile back, and two things kept me from finishing it: 1) The way you had to make sure to talk to absolutely everybody everywhere every single time the story advanced to keep from missing anything, in terms of both plot and practical rewards (don't know if the other "Trails" games are like this, but if they are I'm likely out), and 2) At one point in the game you wind up trapped in a dungeon you can't leave, against a boss who will absolutely murder you unless you've stocked up on accessories to protect you from the sleep/nightmare status, and unless you know he's coming and prepared accordingly you can't go back to rectify your "error". That was when I decided to cross the series off my list; I'm sure there's good stuff I'm missing, but every time I think of how my first try went I immediately lose any desire to try again.
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

The way you had to make sure to talk to absolutely everybody everywhere every single time the story advanced to keep from missing anything, in terms of both plot and practical rewards (don't know if the other "Trails" games are like this
This was less true in the Sky series. You'd go to places and chat with people when the plot led you there.

In ED7 and ED8 you basically have to check in with every NPC regularly, no matter where they are or what is going on. If somebody tells you "the planet Namek is going to explode in five minutes!!!1" it would be a mistake to think that you shouldn't still visit every neighborhood and talk to every NPC before that happens. If Lloyd is carrying a child around that's no excuse either, man up and do those side quests. And everybody agrees that patrolling the area and bugging everyone in sight is in Rean's job description.
Ys IX is a better game than VIII in my opinion
How does the combat compare between 8 and 9?

I thought fighting bosses one-on-one with Dana's luminous form was the high point of combat in 8. The greater speed and responsiveness was amazing, compared to the rest of the game which I found to be fairly clumsy and tedious.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Been replaying Ys Origin on hard with Hugo, I'd played normal before.

Without yunica or toal gameplay in my very recent memory i've been enjoying this playthrough a lot more.
I know the elitist smug that is grooktook (LOL love u baby) finds Hugo boring and I'm sure many of you agree..

Things that make me enjoy it more - Hugo is such a pompous twat :lol:
I genuinely like the way he's written, got no time for anybody, impostor syndrome, makes girls cry ahah.
might have to make a meme vid on him.
Facts don't care about your feelings :wink:

As for the gameplay, the key to enjoying Mr Fact is his spell abilities.. make liberal use of them and try not to rely on his standard attack - cause that way lies the boredom.
Use the shield to float and get airtime and damage flying enemies to pound enemies pointblank

if you must use the standard attack.. run circles around enemies while pointblank... the Eyes of Fact float behind Hugo so you can hit them while doing a weird circle around melee enemies. It's clumsy and ugly but still more badass than standing off and using your range.

I'm not a huge fan of the fire attack - His best move is the Trap mines. I'm always charging them ready to release it for a big bang. If you hammer the button you can detonate it immediately.
I find it really satisfying to quickly dash into a corner, jump over an enemy then bomb as I land, forcing them to take every tick of damage as they're forced into the corner.
If that sounds good? Try doing it to 6-7 enemies at a time after grouping them all up 8)
Charged mine with boost mode on? it's absolutely devastating, and a way to take huge chunks out of boss health bars too!

Threading your way through a group, pooping out little mines.. or laying them in retreat then turning round and firing magic pellets into the explosion as your enemy immolates, just to rub salt in the wound.
This is a way to keep Ys's fast frenetic action, even with the lame magic man.

Edit: I mean, maybe that whole post was just me stating the obvious, I dunno.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Ys boss rush is a lesson in regret.
(origin)

Yes, i'd like to play something else,
No, i don't want to fight dalles 6 fucking times in a row and nearly win every time then suddenly OOPS command grab time to lose two health bars. i'm getting teleported into it when i fuuuuuucking swear i'm nowhere near!
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Things I didn't realize: all of the first three Ys games were on Famicom. I eventually found out the first one was on Fami a while back (always thought of it as an everything-but-Famicom game growing up), but I had no idea they'd gotten as far as III. Looking up all their Famicom releases, it's funny that in the West we got everything they did except the Ys games. And Romancia.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Yeah i would advise any sane person not to attempt the boss rush in an Ys game.
been trying to do yunica on hard, not nightmare, hard!
2 hours of my life are gone. i can't stop, don't wanna lose progress.
just dying to dalles repeatedly.
just command grabbed me twice in a row. second i was running 90 degrees away as fast as yunica can run. still got caught. what the fuck do you do with that
I used to like the game, now i'm genuinely, genuinely thinking that the bosses are designed badly
call me a scrub if you must.

I really wish you could pause the game or restart a bossfight instead of waiting to die. cause wantint to restart the first form legitimately takes ages
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Yeah reached the final stage with his full move list of spellls coming at you randomly.
i'm done.
Ys Origin defeated me. fuck that game, fuck you
fuck adol and his dumb red hair
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:fuck adol and his dumb red hair
omfg thats racist Image (■`w´■)

Wait
Blinge wrote:
nm carry on POC (■`w´■)
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

damn i feel so virtuous
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

My DMC loving mate came back from Japan and we hung out like it was old times, playing vidya.

Got him to try Felghana, and he actually liked it. Was into it :D
I've failed to get anyone else to like Ys series, so it was cool to see him make it to Dularn and try loads of times (normal mode) we went back, upgraded gear. fought again.
I suggested getting another level but he was like 'nah i can do this' which proved to be true after another couple of attempts.

Looks like i'm gonna be able to enjoy Felghana again vicariously
BIL

Post by BIL »

Only a gaping asshole could dislike Felghana. (`w´メ) First-rate oldschool killathon ARPG. Nearly as good as ZELDA 2 :shock:

I MEAN LISTEN TO THAT FUCKIN BGM (◎w◎;)

Wait (■`w´■)

Nah for real, good stuff all around, warms me heart after the JoJo fiasco you mentioned elsewhere. ;3

Game has a certain joy of movement, which I credit to what's essentially 2D action via mildly adventurous but very much business-first 3D camera. Even the occasional bits where they get artsy (that ice dragon boss, if I recall) handle pinpoint-precise.

Silent Bomber on PS1 has a similar effect, can't think of one without the other. (SB plays nothing at all like Felghana, or any other sword action game; more like a pro MGS rebuild played as Grey Fox armed with airdash boots and minelayer gauntlets. biblical splosions! hilarious EN dub! PAL ver has lategame crash bug, go with NTSCU/J!)

Spoiler
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

BIL wrote:Nah for real, good stuff all around, warms me heart after the JoJo fiasco you mentioned elsewhere. ;3
Haha, well the jojo fiasco was an internet 'friend' from discords that exist almost solely to virtue signal

This Ys-man is almost fraternal with me now - put me up for two weeks when i visited japan a while back,
got me into fighting games back in 2012 when i'd previously written them off as 'brainless button mashers'
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BulletMagnet wrote:Stop everything.
I misread that as Daimakaimura. I was like "what does Ghouls 'n Ghosts have to do with an Adol body pillow?".
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

It would seem that it is indeed now canon law that all games must be Souls-inspired to some degree.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

For as much as people like to whine about "everything being soulslike", I think there's still a distressingly few games out there that really do take inspiration from the Souls series.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

BulletMagnet wrote:It would seem that it is indeed now canon law that all games must be Souls-inspired to some degree.
Horrible hahah.

also this article makes the same conceptual mistake that many to; that Souls is built around 1on1 combat.
(it's not.)