PlayBaby - PlayStation 1 & 2 DSUB Video Adapter

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Bassa-Bassa

Re: PlayBaby - PlayStation 1 & 2 DSUB Video Adapter

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

VEGETA wrote: however, I was asking why people would need a vga output from PS1 and PS2 while most PC CRTs don't support 15 khz
The PS2 has a few games which support 480p/31khz. More than a few if we contemplate hacking methods, indeed.

What I still haven't understood (or found a direct answer) is if this device does RGsB-to-RGBHV, for non-SOG PC monitors. (?)
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

I would assume RGBS and not RGBHV, for wide compatibility between 15kHz and 31kHz displays - most VGA CRT monitors will accept RGBS/composite sync with no issues. And most (all?) Sony PVMs/BVMs that go above 15kHz don't have Vsync inputs.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:
VEGETA wrote: What I still haven't understood (or found a direct answer) is if this device does RGsB-to-RGBHV, for non-SOG PC monitors. (?)
Can’t a cheap Extron rgb interface seperate your sync?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

strayan wrote:
Bassa-Bassa wrote:
VEGETA wrote: What I still haven't understood (or found a direct answer) is if this device does RGsB-to-RGBHV, for non-SOG PC monitors. (?)
Can’t a cheap Extron rgb interface seperate your sync?
yes, and combine it for that matter
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

I am interested in the sync combining method used here.

is it the popular XNOR or a new better method?

regards,
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

I believe it uses sequential logic
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

kitty666cats wrote:I would assume RGBS and not RGBHV, for wide compatibility between 15kHz and 31kHz displays - most VGA CRT monitors will accept RGBS/composite sync with no issues.
Let's see if we get a definite answer from the dev, then.

strayan wrote:cheap Extron
USA poster, aren't you? Anyway, it'd make sense if the device does the job so that anybody can use it directly with an ordinary monitor.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:I would assume RGBS and not RGBHV, for wide compatibility between 15kHz and 31kHz displays - most VGA CRT monitors will accept RGBS/composite sync with no issues.

USA poster, aren't you? Anyway, it'd make sense if the device does the job so that anybody can use it directly with an ordinary monitor.
Try looking for RGB interfaces from other brands RE: affordable sync converters in countries where Extron stuff is expensive... i.e. Inline branded ones, Altinex. Try searching 'RGB interface' on eBay
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:

Gonna take a wild guess that strayan is strayan
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

EL1883 sync stripper outputs clean H and V sync and C sync.

Bet that's what's being used.

Keep in mind that a stock PS2 (3000) can output buffered H V C sync from the first 3 pins on the last encoder.
Last edited by Syntax on Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Syntax wrote:EL1883 sync stripper outputs clean H and V sync and C sync.

Bet that's what's being used, in conjunction with a SOG stripper/green cleaner.

Keep in mind that a stock PS2 (3000) can output buffered H V C sync from the first 3 pins on the last encoder.
1881 ics helps you output a h\v\c sync from video\csync signal... but not combine sync signals. I think that ps2 has internal c\h and v sync separately generated, maybe he took it from there,
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

No idea what you're on about Vegeta.

The product is plug and play, no mods required and works on all models so he has not pulled HV sync.

Comp video is fed into the stripper.
C H V sync comes out. There is 0 need to combine anything, all the options are there.

You could also feed the green channel into the stripper if running SOG mode.
The only issue I see is trying to strip sync from green, then cleaning the extra voltage off green. Its a real PITA with lack luster results.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Syntax wrote:No idea what you're on about Vegeta.

Comp video is fed into the stripper.
C H V sync comes out. There is 0 need to combine anything, all the options are there.
yes has to be it. yes, this is correct. Y signal works as source for 1881 ICs. or even green signal.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

kitty666cats wrote:Try looking for RGB interfaces from other brands RE: affordable sync converters in countries where Extron stuff is expensive... i.e. Inline branded ones, Altinex. Try searching 'RGB interface' on eBay
I will, thanks, but hopefully it's not needed for this.

maxtherabbit wrote:Gonna take a wild guess that strayan is strayan
USA poster strayan, then, lol.
SuperSpongo

Post by SuperSpongo »

Glad I wasn't the only one confused by what this actually does concerning sync (specifically RGsB in 480p).
The Tindie link provides more info.

Some features of this board:

- Onboard power filtering through decoupling capacitors
- No external power required
- No buttons to manage
- Dual sync separators and cleaners
- Clean RGBs output
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Got the PlayBaby a while ago, but my Sony 20L5 doesn't like the sync from it for some reason: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1925hLz ... sp=sharing (PS2 will work when using SOG or Component, though).

Didn't have this problem with the SyncBaby, and the PlayBaby works fine with my OEV 143, so not sure why the 20L5 doesn't work with it.

The developer thinks that the 75ohm sync is too low for the 20L5 and is thinking of offering a TTL version, currently waiting to hear back. I have other ways of playing PS1 in RGB on the 20L5 so not a big deal.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

jd213 wrote:Got the PlayBaby a while ago, but my Sony 20L5 doesn't like the sync from it for some reason: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1925hLz ... sp=sharing (PS2 will work when using SOG or Component, though).

Didn't have this problem with the SyncBaby, and the PlayBaby works fine with my OEV 143, so not sure why the 20L5 doesn't work with it.

The developer thinks that the 75ohm sync is too low for the 20L5 and is thinking of offering a TTL version, currently waiting to hear back. I have other ways of playing PS1 in RGB on the 20L5 so not a big deal.
Have you heard back on this? I poked the developer on tindie a few days ago asking about compatibility and haven't heard anything back yet.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

He replied to me just once (he said he's been busy with his day job) and said that he hasn't heard back from another person that was having a similar issue, but I could return it for a refund. I agreed and asked him for his mailing address, but haven't heard back after that.

Oh well, it would probably cost too much to send back to Canada, and I can use the PlayBaby with other monitors (it also worked with the 20L5 when I used an official PS1 AV breakout box with CVBS as sync, although the picture would shift to the side a bit on bright screens for some reason).